The backs - A pleasant Surprise

Shade

I mentioned this briefly in the tarot gods thread but wanted to elaborate here.

Normally I dedicate any new tarot deck I work with to The Goddess, as the divine creatrix, sum of all life, etc. but I felt that for the gay tarot that I was awaiting I would try something different.

I have spent some time learning about queer mysteries and mythology and I had connected with Khonsu (Chons, Kensu) as a guide in this arena. Here s some info about him from encyclopediamythica.com

The Egyptian god of the moon, son of Amun and Mut with whom he forms a triad at Thebes. As the 'master of time' he is sometimes identified with the god Thoth. In human form he is depicted a young man in the posture of a mummy with the child's side lock and the curved beard worn by the gods, but also with a full moon and a crescent on his headdress.

The reason he resonated with me as a Queer One was his association with the moon (rare among the boys but not unheard of), his association with youth, being a wanderer, etc. I don't think this would have come up at all for him in ancient Egypt and I don't want to suggest for a second that I think that his cult would have found anything particularly queer about him. This is just me working with him as an archetype. I corresponded with some men in the Minoan Brotherhood and found that there are a few others who work with Khonsu in this way.

Also his association with Thoth makes sense for a tarot guide.

So I put together a dedication ritual, the cards arrive I take a look at them and wham there on the backs is an image that looks very much like my modernized version of Khonsu. Somehow in the months of looking at scans online I had never noticed the card backs, though I'm certain they must have been shown on at least one site.

I was very happy and things have gone well so far in this arena.

Lee, what were your thoughts for a card back? Did you get much input in this area? I now most LS decks just reprint one of the cards four times on the backs but yours have a totally new image.

Lee

Hi, Shade!

It so happens that I had nothing whatsoever to do with the card backs, it was something worked out between LS and Antonella. The only thing I know is that, as Riccardo told me, it is the first time LS did a full-color back instead of the two-tone backs they've been doing.

I found your remarks about Khonsu very interesting!

-- Lee

Aeric

The backs are incredibly elegant. As I posted in the forum a while back, the card backs are one of the most vital factors that lead to my continued interest in the deck, or even determining whether I buy it at all.

Since the Gay Tarot was an anticipated deck, I'd have to go with whatever back it had. And to be completely honest, I'd been expecting worse. The card back is kind of a one-page summary of the entire deck. Before I'd even known that only LS was responsible for the designs, I hoped to all be damned that Lee would play some part in the card back. I feared at worst the company would make something highly sexualized for a gay tarot, at best a repeat of the Lovers or Moon card. Maybe I'm superficially biased, but it was a worry.

Luckily it didn't happen. As gay, diviner and astronomer, I loved how all three came together for the back. It's a subtlely powerful image of the individual's abilities to look within a window to the self. I'm really glad they chose not to two-tone the design either as the glowing moon is a great touch.

I use these cards in sync with the Universe Cards space oracle deck and the design makes for a great combination to link the two.

tarotbear

Bad puns are my speciality!

Better Khonsu than Keanu (Reeves!)