BodhiSeed

What I notice in the card:

Mirror/looking glass
Mardi Gras-like jester mask looking out of mirror
6 different butterflies around mirror
Greyhound balanced on edge of black and white marble mantel
Metronome or pyramid-shaped paperweight
Featureless artist mannequin

The mirror reminds me of "Through the Looking-Glass," the tale of Alice who climbed through the mirror to an alternate reality. Things are not what they seem!

The jester mask is on the inside of the mirror, about to come into our reality. Again the mask underscores the fact that what is on the outside is not necessarily a true reflection of what is. The jester's wisdom may not come across as politically correct, but he has a child's ability to see (and say) the truth.

The butterflies around the mirror represent the transformations the Fool will go through as soon as he steps through the mirror. So many things to learn...

Greyhounds were historically bred for coursing game and later for racing. I suppose the game he will be chasing will be the Fool. :) It also makes me think of a bus line here in the U.S. that travels throughout the states, Canada and Mexico. A journey is definitely about to begin here.

There is a slender, pyramid-shaped object that reminds me of a metronome. It keeps time in a totally different way than a clock. It provides rhythm instead of "time ticking away." The Fool at this point is in the present moment and unconcerned with the passing of time.

The artist mannequin is featureless and can be moved in different positions. It indicates that the Fool has a fresh start - he can literally become whomever and whatever he would like at this point.

http://www.malpertuis.co.uk/2013/

Attachments

• metronome.jpg
    metronome.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 688

Elendil

The mirror may not be quite a true mirror since it seems to reflect back a landscape....mountains and a lake.... a 'new vista' opening up...

Is the mask a 'reflection' of ourselves as The Fool....what truths does the mask hide?....(is it a way on controlling the 'real self' lest anyone should see how entirely 'foolish' the human condition we impose upon ourselves really is...?)

BodhiSeed

Glad you're joining in Elendil!:D Yes, the landscape does make it seem like some permeable boundary instead of just a regular mirror.

rachelcat

There is a slender, pyramid-shaped object that reminds me of a metronome. It keeps time in a totally different way than a clock. It provides rhythm instead of "time ticking away." The Fool at this point is in the present moment and unconcerned with the passing of time.
Hi! I've been thinking about the metronome. I think this is restating what you said about it, but I had to think it through a bit to get it into my brain!

Yes, it's not a clock, that measures time the same way for everyone. A metronome allows you to set your own pace, or march to the beat of a different drummer. The fool may be just a featureless mannequin right now, but even at the very beginning of his trip, he is determined to go on his own terms.

BodhiSeed

Hi! I've been thinking about the metronome. I think this is restating what you said about it, but I had to think it through a bit to get it into my brain!

Yes, it's not a clock, that measures time the same way for everyone. A metronome allows you to set your own pace, or march to the beat of a different drummer. The fool may be just a featureless mannequin right now, but even at the very beginning of his trip, he is determined to go on his own terms.

Good point - he definitely marches to his own beat!

starlightexp

The pattern on the walls is not what one would call a traditional 'motley' pattern that most people would associate with harlequins but looks as if it is a deliberate pattern of triangles. These form almost a quilt like pattern on the back wall. 4 triangles form an open box. I see it as if you took a square of paper and folded the corners into the center and then opened them again. (The reason I look at it this way is in how it relates to the Magician card later on.)

Also the black and white marble on the fireplace could stand for the Fool not knowing good from evil at this time. Things are not as black and white as they seem.

swimming in tarot

Although, the fireplace is mostly white, calling to mind the Fool's innocence. The mantel is like the edge of a cliff, that the mannequin and hound are ready to leap off. As for the metronome--I can't tell if it's been started yet--if it hasn't, it's like the moment before time begins; before the jester vaults through the false mirror, and somersaults into the room.

Sorry, it's been a long time since I've done this sort of analysis, so these observations aren't terribly deep.

starlightexp

As for the metronome--I can't tell if it's been started yet--if it hasn't, it's like the moment before time begins

The metronome looks to be closed. That is the type of model that needs to have the face cover removed to start to it defiantly has not started yet. It can be a time-out-of-time thing

Attachments

• 18-1.jpg
    18-1.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 548

Tyldwick

The metronome looks to be closed.

I love this insight! The journey is about to begin, but nothing has been settled yet, including the tempo.

The butterflies definitely represent personal transformation, as BodhiSeed mentioned. They can also symbolize a shift to action from inaction. Even if you have been feeling stuck (cocooned) for a long time, a new beginning is possible... or even inevitable. It is time to emerge and fly!