Medieval Scapini arrived today

Jaws_Victim

You could always order it online...

I love the idea of buying a deck and making a journal where you meditate on the card. That's such a good idea, I think I'm going to have to buy another deck and a super nice journal to do it with! I'm excited! :)

swanpetal

Good! It's always fun to go back over the pages you create and admire and study them. When I get my computer running good again, I can try to upload a couple pics of my journal pages.

Jaws_Victim

I would be itnerested in seeing that. I just took my old Rider Waite deck and started pasting them into a simple journal with the meanings, and my thoughts on them. Not very fancy, but I'm starting to learn the cards.

minrice

Is the window, gold version rare or a higher priced deck? Because I wasn't aware it was, and when it shows up in the trade threads people seem to want a lot for it. I bought mine for $15, new and sealed. Did I just get a deal? lol.

Le Fanu

minrice said:
Is the window, gold version rare or a higher priced deck? Because I wasn't aware it was, and when it shows up in the trade threads people seem to want a lot for it. I bought mine for $15, new and sealed. Did I just get a deal? lol.

Not "rare" as far as I know and I don't tend to think of it as a more "specifically" gold version, just a better edition. As a better edition, people are going to prefer it I suppose. Like I said (I think it was in this thread) I saw two copies in shops near each other and the window/Swiss one was more expensive that the US Games one. But I think that had more to do with the profit margins of each shop involved.

All I know is that the non-Window "Printed in Italy", recent edition must be really hideous judging from what people say. Although I don't particularly like the deck, I think the AG Muller/ good Gold edition is good quality in terms of card and printing...

Bernice

I've got the 'muddy' one and I don't like it - at all. It lives in the very bottom of the back of a drawer I rarely open. Very disappointed with this deck.

Bee

gregory

If anyone is looking for the GOOD edition - debra has one up for sale just now and is open to offers. It is SO hard to find, as far as I can tell.

The one I got recently to get the book and because it was VERY CHEAP INDEED - and rightly so :() is indeed fairly hideous.....

sapienza

I just dug my deck and book set out to have a look through. I've been looking for decks where the minors are based on Etteilla's meanings rather than Golden Dawn meanings. This deck was suggested to me in another thread. It certainly seems like many of the cards fit with the Etteilla meanings, and the deck now makes a bit more sense.

Scion said:
Great deck... weird companion book that has little to do with it specifically.

The thing to know is that Scapini DIDN'T create a RWS clone, but then Decker's companion book, which is actually great as a quickie history of Tarot and themes, treats its LWB meaning sections AS IF the deck is a RWS clone :bugeyed: and pointedly misreads the symbolism (witness the great Penitents/KKK cockup which flares in threads now and again). Almost as if the companion was written without bothering to see or learn what the artist had painted. The first time I read it, I had the dsistinct impression that the meaty first section on history and divination had been written prior, and then rewritten and meanings tacked on so it could be packaged to accompany the Medieval Scapini.

Bizarre.

Still, the first half is a great little book in some ways, but the provided meanings? Not so much...

Great to read these comments about the book as it does seem like an interesting read. Certainly, as Scion has mentioned, the first few chapters seem like they could be a useful investment of time.

Oh, and I had the printed in Italy edition and it was indeed dreadful. I managed to pick up the older edition on e-bay and ended up trading my Italy edition for an empty box :bugeyed: Long story, but it gives you some indication of just how crappy it was! It's a shame because it seems a lot of people hate this deck and yet they've probably only seen the Italy version.

Morwenna

I got mine!!

It's only about a year since I posted how I saw this deck in 2 versions, but couldn't afford one. Today I went to a shop I'd been wanting to visit for some time, and found this deck, the Swiss version!! And I BOUGHT it!! Yay!! :D

I love it. I got a bit of amusement reading through the LWB, which details the deck beautifully, but sticks with the RWS meanings! :lol: They rarely match! But I just know I'm going to have fun with this deck. The LWB is great for background, if you ignore the RWS meanings listed. Look at the cards, read the background info on each, and ignore the listed meanings! I think I'm going to join the Study Group.

:D:D:D

Glitterbird

sapienza said:
It's a shame because it seems a lot of people hate this deck and yet they've probably only seen the Italy version.

I have this deck, and I hate this deck. Its the only one I've seen! :) I had high hopes when I ordered it. Really disappointed.:( But now I'm curious to see a better one.