Do you grow your own Herbs?

Sophie

Ramona said:
If I were to use it for spiritual-magickal purposes, would it be for gaining calmness, then? Sounds right...?
Traditionally, catnip is used for attracting a mate. It's a well-known ingredient in hoodoo love mojo bags and in European folk magic amulets or potions designed for that end. Of course, the calming effect is helpful in that too, as no-one can be at their seductive best when they are a nervous wreck!

The reason for that is by sympathy with the cat (a form of magic called sympathetic magic, which is the basis for most folk/herbal magick): seeing how crazy cats go around catnip, unable to leave it alone - that is the effect projected onto the person whose attentions are desired!

Ramona

Re: Catnip magick info

Ah, Thank you so much, Fudugazi, for this informative post. It does make sense, looking at it that way. I use it only occasionally as a medicine - calms the tummy nerves, too, :) but can't use it anymore in a tincture as it contradicts my thyroid gland. I have a wonderful wildman as a mate, so I wouldn't use it for that, either. I love its smell, though!

And, I wish here to give my heartfelt thanks to you for your thoughtful post earlier, and to all who've posted in this thread, giving me ideas, suggestions and lists of sites/books. You have all been welcoming, supportive and helpful.

I've found some Mugwort growing near my sister's garden, so I made some Dreaming Sticks. I'll start with that for my first magical spell. :)

Wishing all a great long weekend!

jmjamison

another gardner

I have a small herb garden - so far Lavender, Rosemary, Valerian, Vervaine, Thyme, Calendula and Sage. I'd like to add some Sweet and Lemon Basil.

Also some dye plants and vegetables though that doesn't really qualify as herb.

Disa

I bought regular sage and bee balm yesterday. Is bee balm the same thing as bergamont? Does anyone know?

Oh, I have the book of 5,000 spells. It's wonderful!

Ramona

to jmjamison and Disa

Hi! Thanks for posting!

Quote jmjamison: "I have a small herb garden - so far Lavender, Rosemary, Valerian, Vervaine, Thyme, Calendula and Sage. I'd like to add some Sweet and Lemon Basil. Also some dye plants and vegetables though that doesn't really qualify as herb."

I do qualify dye plants as herbs because they serve a useful purpose. Plants don't have to be edible or used for magical purposes to be technically called "herbs." There is also the medicinal edge that many vegetables have, such onions and broccoli, which again could be technically classifying them as herbs. I know I do. :) In Dr. James Duke's book, Green Pharmacy Herbal Handbook, he has Pinapple, Corn (silk), Buckwheat, Garlic, Ginger, Horseradish, Tomato, Pumpkin, Rhubarb, and Yucca listed as herbs. I know there is a fine line, but it's very helpful to ask, "Is this plant useful to heal as well as its normal intended use?" You have some great herbs there, jm, so enjoy!

Quote Disa: "I bought regular sage and bee balm yesterday. Is bee balm the same thing as bergamont? Does anyone know?"

Yes, I do know and your answer is yes IF the plant you bought has this scientific name attached to it, "Monarda didyma." If it's another "Monarda..." then you may have bought a garden variety.

Bee Balm has many names and one of them is bergamont. It is the herb used in flavouring Earl Grey tea, or at least that's what I read. It's also known as "Oswego Tea" as the First Nations named it.

Happy herbing!
Ramona

Disa

Thanks, Romona! It does say this on it "Oswego Tea" I'm so happy!!! I have been looking for Bergamont for years and could never find it. Now I just have to find the perfect place to plant it.

I have a question for everyone:

Have you mixed your herbs in all over your garden with other plants and vegetables? Or do you have a separate herb garden? I've sort of planted them all over the place, but a separate herb garden just for the ones we want to eat or dirink might be nice, too.

Dancing Bear

woohoo Got my tea seeds thorugh the otehr day.. cant wait to grow them ! :D

Now i need arabian coffee seeds.

BlueDragonfly

I've got some herbs tucked in with my flowers in the little garden by the porch, parsley, chives, oregano, thyme, lemon thyme, sage, and basil(will be planted there).

I'll have more basil in the vegetable garden along with some dill. Rosemarys and spearmint are in pots on the back porch. I grew stevia last year, but haven't seen any starter plants this year, yet.

We're in zone 4, so garden season is just getting started here.

Sophie

Ramona said:
Bee Balm has many names and one of them is bergamont. It is the herb used in flavouring Earl Grey tea, or at least that's what I read. It's also known as "Oswego Tea" as the First Nations named it.
Bee Balm (monarda didyma or monarda fistulosa) is also known as bergamot (without the n). It's a different plant from that used to perfume Earl Grey -that's a citrus fruit (citrus aurantia bergamia). Bee Balm bergamot belongs to the mint family and has more of the healing and magickal characteristics of mint. Which is the one used by First Nations?

sagewriter

When I lived in a flat I didn't have a garden so bought a window box and tied it to the railings outside my living room window. In it I grew golden thyme, parsley, oregano, lavendar, mint, sage. Now I have my own garden and my herbs are flourishing! They are still in their window box but I will transfer them into a trough soon (with the exception of the thyme, I think it needs it's own pot). My garden is currently paved so all my plants are in pots. I have various ferns, a red currant plant, japanese maple and some strawberry plants. I've got a second pot of lavendar because I love it so much! Inside I have a young chili plant and some basil and parsley that I grew from seeds. I use my herbs in the kitchen and have just started to make pot pouri as well :) I want to buy so many more plants. Especially lemon balm, my mum always grew that and I loved the smell.