Constellation Tarot

RavenOfSummer

Hello! I just came across this deck on Etsy and didn't see a thread for it here (apologies if I missed it)...so thought I would start one :)

The deck is here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/491954211/the-constellation-tarot-magical-night?ref=shop_home_active_1

Has anyone seen/worked with this deck? There aren't many pics so it's hard for me to get an overall sense of the deck, although I have a feeling I might love it. It looks like some of the Majors might be planets? It looks to be fairly new on Etsy- there are no reviews for it there yet.

RavenOfSummer

I've been in touch with the artist and have some more information :)

First, there are more images of the deck on the creator's Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/artismymagic/

Here is how she describes the deck:

"The major arcana follows the structure of the classic Tarot, but with constellations, planets or stars which reflect the same message. For example, the Fool is represented by the Constellation of Columba, a dove which was sent out to explore unknown territory. The Empress is the planet Venus, named after the Roman goddess of love and beauty, representing the fertile and feminine qualities of the Empress.

The minor arcana are each represented by their classic Symbols of Cups, Swords, Wands and Pentacles. These symbols glow against a backdrop of the night sky, each with a landscape appropriate to its element - fire, air, earth and water.

Because the major arcana represents more global and universal symbols, it is represented by objects in space. Whereas the minor arcana is concerned more with daily and "earthly" activities, is connected to the four elements, and is therefore seen from the ground looking up into the sky.

Each minor suit has an illustrated background, and each of the court cards is illustrated separately. Cards ace to 10 show the suit symbols in unique arrangements against the sky."

Nemia

The major arcana are interesting, the minors a bit bland. I'm a stargazer and always interested in decks that refer to celestial bodies and constellations not in a generic way ("put the Pleiades in the background, they look so nice") but seriously. I'd like to know more about the assignation of each constellation and trump card - why Columba for the Fool and not Neptune?

I use the Night Sky playing cards as oracle (have just started to write my own book of oracle meanings for it) - obviously without trumps or tarot structure, but I'm really interested in the Constellation tarot and wish I could combine them somehow...

Aaaaand it goes - to my wishlist!

RavenOfSummer

The major arcana are interesting, the minors a bit bland. I'm a stargazer and always interested in decks that refer to celestial bodies and constellations not in a generic way ("put the Pleiades in the background, they look so nice") but seriously. I'd like to know more about the assignation of each constellation and trump card - why Columba for the Fool and not Neptune?

I use the Night Sky playing cards as oracle (have just started to write my own book of oracle meanings for it) - obviously without trumps or tarot structure, but I'm really interested in the Constellation tarot and wish I could combine them somehow...

Aaaaand it goes - to my wishlist!

I agree with you Nemia. I've actually longed for a night sky themed tarot deck and have never found one that was what I wanted- I've even thought about creating one myself! This deck is the closest I've come to seeing what I'm looking for. However like you I wish there was more going on with the minors in this deck. Buuut since I'm thinking I would still get a lot out of working with it, I've added it to my wishlist as well :)

Scarlet Woodland

Has anyone got this yet? I'm trying to catch up on the newer indie decks available (after a long spell in a TOADie blindfold :D) and this jumped out at me. Only reviews I can find are on the the Etsy page, so not hugely in depth.

Really curious about the cardstock and the court cards. It says the court backgrounds are individually painted (unlike the minors) but not what they are. Thinking they might be astrology based?

The Constellation Tarot looks stupid pretty and very atmospheric but I know that identikit, pip backgrounds have bothered me in other decks. Hmmm. Wishlist I think.

Oh, and the shipping for internationals is absurdly cheap. I've paid more for domestically shipped decks :eek:

Nemia

It's on my wishlist, too... I have a whole wishlist for a star-related sub-collection: Celestial, Cosmos, Quantum, Ptolemaic Constellations... and a number of astronomical playing cards. And this one. I wish we could see more pictures though, or better pictures.

RavenOfSummer

This one is still on my wish list as well, haven't seen the deck in person. If you scroll down through the artist's Instagram page you can see some more images from the deck. From what I can tell I don't see an indication of astrology-based courts but I could be wrong.

Also from her Instagram, it looks like she has a new deck in the works that also looks lovely!

But yes, I've been hoping that an ATer might share some more views on this deck but maybe no one here has it yet. I haven't been able to find any video reviews either.

Honestly I've been thinking about getting the deck at some point and just using the majors, if I don't find the minors compelling enough once I see them in person.

I'm attaching a few more pics that the artist sent me back when we chatted about this deck.

Attachments

• icm_fullxfull.104298430_aujk6z95mggsws8004o4.jpeg
    icm_fullxfull.104298430_aujk6z95mggsws8004o4.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 1,941
  • icm_fullxfull.104298432_9nei5szd8aw44kkkgosw.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.104298432_9nei5szd8aw44kkkgosw.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 1,063
  • icm_fullxfull.104298440_s8s0pl8udhwo88okk844.jpg
    icm_fullxfull.104298440_s8s0pl8udhwo88okk844.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 1,033

Scarlet Woodland

I've started thinking about a sub-collection like that myself :)

Oooh I can definitely work with those court cards, thanks for the pics! Now I just need some kind soul on youtube to do the briefest of unboxings and I'll be set. I do like to see indie cards handled though. You know what you're getting with mass market but I can't be doing with that cardboardy stuff that chips in five seconds, unless I'm really head over heels with the deck.

Nemia

I was never picky about cardstock, never thought about it before I read here on AT that it's a huge thing ;-)

I'm very tempted to buy this deck.... I really like the pictures I saw.

ETA: After I saw more pictures on Instagram and read what she wrote, I decided to buy it :)))))) Maybe I'll write a review when I get it? It looks really interesting.

Eric in NJ

Maybe I'll write a review when I get it? It looks really interesting.

Please please do! This one is on my wish list as well.