Tabula Mundi Tarot: formerly Tarot "M"

Babalon Jones

The Magician reminds me of the Sternenmadschen Tarot, it is cool!

I didn't know that one - just looked it up. I like it; very colorful. (I'm a big fan of lush colors!)

Strange2

http://blog.rosettatarot.com/2012/02/04/deck-in-progress---tarot-m---the-priestess.aspx

Since the moon is waxing and approaching full (and, because I just finished it) I thought it would be a good time to post The Priestess card

Wow!

Amazing artwork, and a very powerful depiction of The Priestess energies!

I must say, while viewing your Priestess and reading the corresponding entry in Crowley's "Book of Thoth", I had several "AHA" moments!

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/crowley/libro_thoth04.htm#II._THE_HIGH_PRIESTESS_

I'm very much enjoying seeing the Tarot M take shape, and this has rekindled my interest and research in related (and unrelated) esoteric studies! Thanks!

Mallah

Oooo....

BJ I haven't been following the forum...I didn't know you were starting a new one! I love your "Fool" and haven't read the rest of the thread yet. I've started back in on mine, Went back to the beginning again...

But I just had to come and tell you how much i love it! Keep it up!
Mallah

Ok, just saw the other two...I'm hooked! I like the "DJ" spin on the Magician...I can just hear his scratch!

Babalon Jones

not sure about the colors of that scan, the yellows are too orange so i may need to scan it again

Babalon Jones

OK for all you fellow Luddites out there who can't afford Photoshop...

The solution to correct the "too orange yellows" was to just repaint them, in a ver slightly lighter yellow with a bit of titanium white for opacity. Original still looks the same.

Now it scans perfect :) and matches the original, no digital adjusts required. Only took a few minutes. Unlike figuring out some program, lol.

The key seems to be, where yellow is next to red, add a tad of titanium white to the yellow to reflect the light from the scanner. Otherwise the reflected light is red, resulting in orange.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

here is the new card:

http://blog.rosettatarot.com/2012/02/27/tarot-m---in-progress-new-card---the-empress.aspx

Mallah

OK for all you fellow Luddites out there who can't afford Photoshop...

The solution to correct the "too orange yellows" was to just repaint them, in a ver slightly lighter yellow with a bit of titanium white for opacity. Original still looks the same.

Now it scans perfect :) and matches the original, no digital adjusts required. Only took a few minutes. Unlike figuring out some program, lol.

The key seems to be, where yellow is next to red, add a tad of titanium white to the yellow to reflect the light from the scanner. Otherwise the reflected light is red, resulting in orange.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. :)

here is the new card:

http://blog.rosettatarot.com/2012/02/27/tarot-m---in-progress-new-card---the-empress.aspx

First off, I love the new card, and I love the direction this deck is taking...it seems like you are having a lot of fun bringing in...what do I call it...modernity? Images from outside of traditional tarot that nevertheless reflect how ubiquitous the archetypes are in our modern world. And how true! I love your work in the Rosetta (I still don't have mine yet cuz I've been unemployed...) but this is just over the top. How many times do you find you have to do each card to get it "just so?"

Babalon Jones

First off, I love the new card, and I love the direction this deck is taking...it seems like you are having a lot of fun bringing in...what do I call it...modernity? Images from outside of traditional tarot that nevertheless reflect how ubiquitous the archetypes are in our modern world. And how true! I love your work in the Rosetta (I still don't have mine yet cuz I've been unemployed...) but this is just over the top. How many times do you find you have to do each card to get it "just so?"

Hi Mallah! Thanks - I really am having fun trying to modernize them, without them looking too modern.

As far as how many times I have to do each card, luckily it is only once as I am terribly impatient with re-doing anything (my birth court card is Knight of Wands, go figure). But I labor over the pencil part of the sketch until it is just right, before beginning the inking, then removing the pencil work. Luckily the substrate I am working on can take lots of pencil and still erase cleanly, as long as too much pressure isn't used which could "dent" it.

starlightexp

Wow. such an INTERESTING take on this card. I'll admit that my first look was one almost of indifference, which is not normally the case with your art work Babs. I thought,"eh". Then I went back an hour or so later and just looked at it and then I got it. It defiantly is not an image that hits you right at first glance like The Fool, but it IS a great card. Love the beehive worked in and the colors on the grass are vibrant and full of life. How did the idea of the heart hive come to you?

Babalon Jones

Wow. such an INTERESTING take on this card. I'll admit that my first look was one almost of indifference, which is not normally the case with your art work Babs. I thought,"eh". Then I went back an hour or so later and just looked at it and then I got it. It defiantly is not an image that hits you right at first glance like The Fool, but it IS a great card. Love the beehive worked in and the colors on the grass are vibrant and full of life. How did the idea of the heart hive come to you?

The heart-hive is an image that came to me in a dream. I woke seeing in one day, the heart chambers filled with honeycomb. Interestingly too, if you look at the shape of a bee swarm cluster hanging from a tree after the hive swarms, the shape is exactly the shape of a human heart! I have bees, but am not the best beekeeper so my hives have swarmed - it is an AWESOME sight. It starts as a tornado of bees swirling everywhere and ends perched in a heart-shaped cluster on a tree branch, which hangs out there until the hive finds a home.