The Alaire Deck

rwcarter

I like both Fools, but it's a little like comparing apples to oranges since the white Fool is a much bigger part of the image than the gray Fool is.

jalaire

I like both Fools, but it's a little like comparing apples to oranges since the white Fool is a much bigger part of the image than the gray Fool is.

Ack... sorry. That is actually just bad cropping on my part as they are the exact same composition as each other. I was just rushing. Let me get a pic of them side by side for a better comparison.

Here you go:

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 215

rwcarter

I'm not going to be of much help to you. I still like them both. The rose stands out more against the gray Fool. But I like the deeper green trees in the white Fool. I don't have a strong preference for or against either white or gray Fool though.

You could do what a number of artists have done and include alternate takes/colorings on certain cards if you honestly can't decide which one you prefer. At the end of the day it's your deck and you have to ultimately be happy with it even if people like me nitpick certain aspects of it (like the pomegranates on the Empress). :)

Rodney

reall

Ack... sorry. That is actually just bad cropping on my part as they are the exact same composition as each other. I was just rushing. Let me get a pic of them side by side for a better comparison.

Here you go:
like both!^^ imo for *best effect* you should leave it all in black silhouette except dog!^^
dog definitely should be white!^^:)) btw fool silhouette don't had to be black? you can play with colors!^^:)) i.e. try with lighter shade of yellow/something like glow effect over darker yellow sun in the bg?^^ :)))

p.s you should definitly read about colors meaning and their use in heraldic and card art!^^;))

Shade

I'm on team White Fool. I've always wondered why people called me that but now I know ;-)

You can always make the black one a stretch goal of you kickstart it (have you ever seen what happens to Tarot readers when you offer them alternative versions of something?). The black silhouette fool is clever though, I like both of those more than the grey one.

rylla

I like both Fools' but I prefer the white one.

rwcarter

I'm on team White Fool. I've always wondered why people called me that but now I know ;-)
NOT going there! :laugh:

You can always make the black one a stretch goal of you kickstart it (have you ever seen what happens to Tarot readers when you offer them alternative versions of something?). The black silhouette fool is clever though, I like both of those more than the grey one.
I think the "black" version was an overly dark gray copy so that there are really only two versions - dark gray or white. But I could be wrong. (Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last, I'm sure.)

Rodney

jalaire

I think the "black" version was an overly dark gray copy so that there are really only two versions - dark gray or white. But I could be wrong. (Wouldn't be the first time and won't be the last, I'm sure.)

Rodney

Yes, that's exactly right!

Also thank you everyone for the input! I think at this point I'm leaning towards the white version since it gives an overall more happy light feeling. Although, I'm sure I'll change my mind about 100 times before the deck is finished so who knows what the final deck is going to look like :)

I also finally got around to actually scanning both versions so now you can see the two versions better.

Attachments

• Foolcompare.jpg
    Foolcompare.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 197

reall

Yes, that's exactly right!

Also thank you everyone for the input! I think at this point I'm leaning towards the white version since it gives an overall more happy light feeling. Although, I'm sure I'll change my mind about 100 times before the deck is finished so who knows what the final deck is going to look like :)

I also finally got around to actually scanning both versions so now you can see the two versions better.
oh! now I like this bluish more!^^ XD :)))

garmonbozia

Yeah, I like the darker one more. I do like how the rose stands out.

reall's idea about making just the dog white might be an interesting one.