New book - "Explaining the Tarot"

gregory

Paypal doesn't ask for a phone number.... I think Bee doesn't use paypal anyway ?? You can put zeros at these times; I've done it before now !

Bernice

As per pm from Ross = the transaction was successfull! Went through smooth as silk :)

It seems that the website is set up so that every field is a 'required' one. Gregory, it also needs a valid phone number, zeros probably won't work, although I never tried them...... :)

Looking forward to recieving this book, especially as it's from Ross & Marco. Will post again after I've had a read. Must congratulate both members, very pleased you've finally published something I can get hold of.

umm...... could I hope this might be the first of more to come?

With many thanks,

Bee :)

gregory

Bernice said:
As per pm from Ross = the transaction was successfull! Went through smooth as silk :)

It seems that the website is set up so that every field is a 'required' one. Gregory, it also needs a valid phone number, zeros probably won't work, although I never tried them...... :)
Um - if it happens again - try entering THEIR number - I think there's a space for a message.... })

Moonbow

Good news Bee. I rarely (read 'really' rarely) give my home number and I don't remember giving it to order the book so was surprised to hear that you had a problem.

Whilst writing. I'm leaving these few posts in case anyone else has the same problem with ordering the book, though it would be nice to get the thread back on to discussing the book. :)

Ross, do you or Marco or Thierry have any suspicions as to who Anon is?

Ross G Caldwell

Moonbow* said:
Ross, do you or Marco or Thierry have any suspicions as to who Anon is?

No, it remains a complete mystery, as does the place it was written. There are two manuscripts we didn't see at all - one in Rome, the other in Vienna, which might provide more hints from their language.

We had a brief flutter of enthusiasm for Vicenzo Sigonio, who wrote a book in defense of women, Difesa per le donne, around 1560. Little is known about him except that he was Ferrarese, and one editor thinks he was a churchman since he knows Canon Law so well. Sigonio quotes the story about the "Epitaph of Sardanapalus" with a rendering of the "epitaph" ("Eat, drink and play, for after death there is no pleasure") which uses almost exactly the same words as Anonymous. See the text on page 51, and note 18 (p. 66).

However, Sigonio is fluent in Latin and prefers Latin sources, while our anonymous author always uses Italian sources and translations, and gives us no reason to think he knows Latin. Also, Sigonio's text remained in manuscript until 1978.

We concluded that our author may have known Sigonio, and perhaps seen his book in manuscript, but that there is little chance he was actually Sigonio.

So except for that extremely tenous conjecture, we have no guesses about the identity of Anonymous.

On the other hand, because of the style of his language, we are certain he is NOT Florentine, Roman, Ferrarese, or Venetian. His language use appears best suited to the coastal region of Le Marche, about midway down the boot on the Adriatic side.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marche

See page 40 in "Explaining the Tarot" for the reasoning behind that.

Bernice

I recieved the Comparison Chart this morning. Just waiting for the book to arrive.

I'm looking at the suit descriptions by Anonymous in the Chart. It seems that they relate to the Islamic ideas/emblems. The trump card meanings given by this same 'anon' are also very interesting, I'm quite taken with this approach, and looking forward to recieving the whole 'works', the book.

Bernice

I have the book!

I read it through and am now re-reading with closer attention.

In the first discorso, I've followed Piscinas' line of thought for the trumps, and all goes well until the Hanged Man

Piscina does'nt explain why the Hanged Man should 'win' over the previous tumps. Perhaps I should really be saying that it's me who cannot grasp why Piscina sees an image of dishonesty (lack of virtue) as having a higher value than, say, Justice.

Fascinating read........ plus I would also like to say I appreciate the way the pages are set out, whereby the original language is printed on the even numbered pages, and the translation in english is mirrored on the odd pages. So much better than having to search through two separate documents.

DoctorArcanus

Bernice said:
In the first discorso, I've followed Piscinas' line of thought for the trumps, and all goes well until the Hanged Man

Piscina does'nt explain why the Hanged Man should 'win' over the previous tumps. Perhaps I should really be saying that it's me who cannot grasp why Piscina sees an image of dishonesty (lack of virtue) as having a higher value than, say, Justice.

Hello Bee, I am happy you enjoyed our booklet :)

Your question about the sequence of the trumps is very good. A while ago, I tried to explain my understanding of this problem here:
http://forum.tarothistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=259&p=3767

I think that the "central group" of the tarot trumps represents the vicissitudes of human life (an idea that I discovered thanks to Michael J. Hurst). So, this section implements an order that is (at leas in part) "temporal". Old Age gives you the possibility to access wisdom, but if you do not accept following virtue, your destiny will be the tragedy represented by the Hanged Man. Another way of looking at it could be that, if you consider yourself as superior to wisdom and the other virtues, you will end as the Hanged Man.

So I don't think that Piscina meant to say that dishonesty has a higher value than Virtue: some people prefer dishonesty and Virtue cannot save them.

Bernice

Thank you for responding Marco.
So I don't think that Piscina meant to say that dishonesty has a higher value than Virtue: some people prefer dishonesty and Virtue cannot save them.
So very possibly the higher value of the Hanged Man is based on that of the majority of people - few people (and people at that time) could claim to be virtuous :)angel:), which means that most of us must continue on past the experience of the Hanged Man. The experience of shame?

The diagram/image explains how you see the grouping of the trumps :)

nicky

I swear I ordered this a week or so ago and can't find the charge anywhere on paypal.. I wanted one for Debra and myself ....anyhow I think I reordered yet again today ...

OY