Why do people shuffle more than one time?

page of wands

I start to shuffle as soon as my client takes their seat, I shuffle while my client is talking, what is it that they want clarification on? Once this is resolved I stop shuffling. Why do I do this? Because it feels right for me. I have a whole ritual. All my clients know it. ;) I recently did a reading for a young lady (20 ish) she kept talking and talking.. trying to figure out where her problem was, I kept shuffling and listening, her energy was all over the place, when she settled on her issue I stopped shuffling and she selected the pile from which I drew her cards. By shuffling, I concentrate on her words, her energy, her question (which she writes down). She is concentrating on her issues, I talk as little as possible while shuffling. All my attention is on her energy, her issues, and the shuffle. This is the opening to the reading, making sure it is her energy being expressed in the cards.

i don't have clients, so as i'm shuffling just think about the topic/question i am doing. stay focused.

karlwb

Being a baker by trade, i shuffle the "Baker's Dozen" 13 times with cuts and turns (for reversals) included. No riffling, all hand over hand. Does seem a little long at times so I cut it down to ten (being an Oct. 10 baby) for subsequent readings.

page of wands

Being a baker by trade, i shuffle the "Baker's Dozen" 13 times with cuts and turns (for reversals) included. No riffling, all hand over hand. Does seem a little long at times so I cut it down to ten (being an Oct. 10 baby) for subsequent readings.

ah that's new and different. i like you do it the "baker way". i do it the "page of wands way" which is shuffle it and shuffle it, and realize i keep drawing the same card, and then realize it's because i haven't been shuffling the top card this whole time. xD

Barleywine

Dealing with "live" clients is a different animal. I don't want them to tell me anything, just concentrate on their question or area of inquiry (which is often only a general look-ahead) while I have them (crudely, for the most part) shuffle and then cut the deck. Since I've already thoroughly randomized my decks, all I want is their nominal "imprint" on the spread, to make it their own. For those who are squeamish about clients touching their decks (and I myself never bring rare or OOP decks to public readings), they could either have the client do a cut of the reader-shuffled deck or just tap on the reader's final cut as a way to endorse the shuffle. I think of it as a bit of the interactive "theater of tarot," but my objective is serious.

page of wands

Dealing with "live" clients is a different animal. I don't want them to tell me anything, just concentrate on their question or area of inquiry (which is often only a general look-ahead) while I have them (crudely, for the most part) shuffle and then cut the deck. Since I've already thoroughly randomized my decks, all I want is their nominal "imprint" on the spread, to make it their own. For those who are squeamish about clients touching their decks (and I myself never bring rare or OOP decks to public readings), they could either have the client do a cut of the reader-shuffled deck or just tap on the reader's final cut as a way to endorse the shuffle. I think of it as a bit of the interactive "theater of tarot," but my objective is serious.

I heard that people don't like others to touch their decks. I wonder if getting a second hand deck might make it so one would have to clear, for instance set it under the light of a full moon or something.

Barleywine

I heard that people don't like others to touch their decks. I wonder if getting a second hand deck might make it so one would have to clear, for instance set it under the light of a full moon or something.

I only let clients handle decks that I can easily replace if they're creased or bent. Those decks aren't especially pricey, so I don't bother with second-hand decks. To me there is nothing sacred in a deck, the magic is all within the reader.

Maru

It depends on the reader. Some readers are "sticky", that is, everything they pick up sticks to them... so making the habit of clearing their deck helps them with staying clear themselves as it removes anything prior and helps them focus on "new" energy instead of continuously picking up on the older stuff.

For others, it's more of a spiritual practice. If your clear intent is to guide people to their rightful destination (as a reader), then having these practices really help them focus in that area with regards to their clients. So usually bathing in moonlight or some other type of cleansing has some spiritual/connective component.

If it's used for contacting spirits or for more "direct" applications such as energy work, then I suggest keeping them cleansed (or keeping a separate deck for that purpose). At least after those sessions.