Beginner Fears With Tarot

IndigoWaves

There are certain things that I don't read about, subjects that concern me which I don't wish to "reveal" to myself precognitively. Maybe simple fear/superstition is behind that preference, or maybe it's something else... But there are bridges that I choose not to cross via the potential insight of Tarot cards. Everyone has the right to reveveal or conceal whatever they like, to their benefit or detriment. Divinatory knowledge is within your own hands.

ldiddy

I would say just go for it! If you are afraid of getting certain answers wrong, give yourself time before you ask those questions.

For me, the best way to learn early on was daily draws of 1-3 cards. My favorite daily spread is from Mary White and is simply: Internal, External, Advice. There is not too much pressure on you as a beginner with these types of spreads. There are so many great three card spreads out there and as you practice, you will develop a better relationship with Alexander ;) and won't have the anxiety about asking bigger questions in (and maybe even about) the future.

SuitofSwords

I would say just go for it! If you are afraid of getting certain answers wrong, give yourself time before you ask those questions.

For me, the best way to learn early on was daily draws of 1-3 cards. My favorite daily spread is from Mary White and is simply: Internal, External, Advice. There is not too much pressure on you as a beginner with these types of spreads. There are so many great three card spreads out there and as you practice, you will develop a better relationship with Alexander ;) and won't have the anxiety about asking bigger questions in (and maybe even about) the future.

Thank you! I'm starting to do one a day draws for myself and I'm making myself take it slow even though I want to work with bigger spreads. I've got plenty of reading material though so that's great.

SuitofSwords

I started with 3 card spreads but I went back to one a day to start learning the meanings better although I enjoyed the three spread. I felt like I could understand more with three cards rather than one. Is there a thread for three card spreads? Can you just make your own?

SuitofSwords

There are certain things that I don't read about, subjects that concern me which I don't wish to "reveal" to myself precognitively. Maybe simple fear/superstition is behind that preference, or maybe it's something else... But there are bridges that I choose not to cross via the potential insight of Tarot cards. Everyone has the right to reveveal or conceal whatever they like, to their benefit or detriment. Divinatory knowledge is within your own hands.

Same! Thanks for the advice!

SuitofSwords

Happy to hear that you are pursuing your tarot interests in spite of your religious upbringing. :) I began my tarot journey in much the same way.

I think it is normal to experience a certain amount of fear and uncertainty when using the tarot to read about future events. As you said, "the future is often shifting".

For myself, I don't often ask questions about the future because I feel that I am too emotionally attached to the answers and outcome. Instead, I focus my questions on the present: what I need to focus on, what I can/should change, what my strengths and weaknesses are, etc. I feel that focusing on self awareness and introspection in the present helps me to achieve my future endeavors in the long run.

Welcome to the forum, SuitofSwords. :)

I'd feel the same way! I think that's a part of it, that I'm too attached to the outcome and I'll obsess and worry over it. Hell, I obsess and worry over what the outcome could be.

SuitofSwords

Suit of Swords: you don't have to use the cards to explore the future. It's perfectly possible to work with tarot cards for self reflection, affirmation, meditation, story telling and other insight-boosting means, and NOT "to look into the future".

I don't know which religion you belong to but most religions have ways to strengthen focus and insight through meditation, use of icon, chants, prayers, ritual etc. The human wish to access inner wisdom (whether we see it as divine gift or just a function of ourselves) is present in all of us, and tarot a valuable tool to access it.

Simply don't use the cards to do things you feel uncomfortable with.

And concerning tarot as tool to see the future: tarot helps you to see tendencies and potential in your life. I like to use tarot to understand better how to use the chances and potential in my life - essentially, tarot helps me to build a to-do list, NOT to see the future as unchangeable, inescapable snowball roll towards me.

I see us as creatures of free will and tarot helps me to understand better the different action alternatives.

There's really nothing frightening about it.

And about card interpretations: there's nothing better than reading cards and journaling on a regular basis to get a better grasp of the cards. There's no magical pill to swallow and no one-and-for-all book that help you understand it all at once.

Just like reading other's people's feelings by their body language and facial expressions is a life-long enterprise and we get better at it over time, reading the cards means getting to know them better over time. So just keep at it. Errors are allowed, so to take off pressure, don't see every reading as decisive for your whole future. See them as exercises and explorations.

You don't learn to ski or dance ballet in one day and every skill needs time to develop. That's part of the joy.

Thank you so much! This makes me feel lots better!

Edward Tarot Hands

Feelings of fear are a natural and healthy thing. They show that whatever you are about to do you are thinking seriously about. Someone once said to me that if you are not afraid you can never be brave.
Don't think of Tarot as a way of telling the future. You make your future by the actions you are doing right now. Nothing can tell you what is going to happen in 5 days, 5 months or 5 years. What tarot can do is give you an objective alternative idea of how future events can be interpreted or influenced.
I think the tarot is an amzing gift that hs been handed to us through the ages. I was first interested as a kid when I bought a deck when I was about 12 years old. I didn't understand anything about it but I was instinctively drawn to them. At the time there was no internet and I didn't know anyone who could teach me and when a member of my family told me to be careful with them as they could be dangerous I just sort of put them away but I never forgot about them.
2 years ago I received Morgan Greer deck and I've been studying it since then and have just started experimenting with readings.
Look at the cards and their colours and just notice what feelings they provoke. Trust your creative imagination,. That's what the creators of the cards did.
Have fun discovering Tarot

SuitofSwords

Feelings of fear are a natural and healthy thing. They show that whatever you are about to do you are thinking seriously about. Someone once said to me that if you are not afraid you can never be brave.
Don't think of Tarot as a way of telling the future. You make your future by the actions you are doing right now. Nothing can tell you what is going to happen in 5 days, 5 months or 5 years. What tarot can do is give you an objective alternative idea of how future events can be interpreted or influenced.
I think the tarot is an amzing gift that hs been handed to us through the ages. I was first interested as a kid when I bought a deck when I was about 12 years old. I didn't understand anything about it but I was instinctively drawn to them. At the time there was no internet and I didn't know anyone who could teach me and when a member of my family told me to be careful with them as they could be dangerous I just sort of put them away but I never forgot about them.
2 years ago I received Morgan Greer deck and I've been studying it since then and have just started experimenting with readings.
Look at the cards and their colours and just notice what feelings they provoke. Trust your creative imagination,. That's what the creators of the cards did.
Have fun discovering Tarot

Thank you so much!

Cocobird55

For me, my fear as a beginner is that I read the cards wrongly.
I am afraid that I do not interpret the cards accurately.

There are many ways to look at the cards. Don't worry about being wrong. Just practice a lot, and you will get more comfortable with them.