Ethical Question

Astraea

Richard, I just remembered another weird incident with Amazon where they told me to keep the merchandise.

I received a package addressed to me - name, address, everything was correct - but it contained two items I had not ordered and would never have wanted. After several back-and-forth emails concerning number codes on the label, they figured out where the mistake had arisen. I asked them to issue a return label so that the right person could receive the order - but Amazon told me to keep the items. I didn't want them and said so, but Amazon replied that they hoped I'd find a use for them and enjoy them! So I really think you're fine to take Amazon at their word, as they've already told you not to return the deck.

Michellehihi

Richard, I just remembered another weird incident with Amazon where they told me to keep the merchandise.

I received a package addressed to me - name, address, everything was correct - but it contained two items I had not ordered and would never have wanted. After several back-and-forth emails concerning number codes on the label, they figured out where the mistake had arisen. I asked them to issue a return label so that the right person could receive the order - but Amazon told me to keep the items. I didn't want them and said so, but Amazon replied that they hoped I'd find a use for them and enjoy them! So I really think you're fine to take Amazon at their word, as they've already told you not to return the deck.

the same happened to me with Bookdepository. They told me to keep the book which I don't care for...

RufusJ

Don't worry about it. Years ago I'd ordered a textbook for a philosophy class, and Amazon sent me ten math textbooks. No way I could use them. I contacted Amazon, and they told me how to ship them back postage paid.

So if they deem it worthy, they will let you know how to ship the item(s) back. If they say keep it, then Amazon doesn't think it's worth the hassle.

Tag_jorrit

There are lots of individuals who sell their own stuff on Amazon, just like on Etsy. It's another venue to make some money.

Sometimes to the seller it's just a hassle to mess with anything other than refunding and regard it as the cost of doing business. However, it's not necessarily the "big company" who's losing a small sale; it's someone like you or your friend who's just trying to squeak out a few more dollars to make a living.

Would you appreciate it if someone paid you back when you received a delayed package?

Astraea

There are lots of individuals who sell their own stuff on Amazon, just like on Etsy. It's another venue to make some money.

Sometimes to the seller it's just a hassle to mess with anything other than refunding and regard it as the cost of doing business. However, it's not necessarily the "big company" who's losing a small sale; it's someone like you or your friend who's just trying to squeak out a few more dollars to make a living.

Would you appreciate it if someone paid you back when you received a delayed package?
Point taken - but if this deck had been purchased through a private individual or third-party seller, wouldn't Amazon have been unauthorized to tell Richard that he could keep the deck?

Any time I've had an issue with an Amazon Marketplace seller, Amazon has requested that both parties deal with it between themselves. In the event of a dispute, Amazon will step in. But as far as I know, Amszon is not in a position to tell a customer to keep an item from a third-party seller - they can only do so if the item came from the big corporate entity, Amazon Itself.

Am I wrong?

gregory

I think you're spot on. When a seller sent me the wrong thing entirely, amazon wouldn't do a thing and in the end I was able to claim it back form my credit card company (the UK has laws about that !) And I just bought something which has got lost with a courier - luckily the seller is being very helpful - but amazon's actual email, when I bought it, says right in there that if there's any problem, I have to deal with the seller.

Amanda

I ordered a Tarot deck from amazon.uk. It was dispatched on November 15, and the estimated date of arrival was November 30. I waited until December 15, and it still had not arrived, so I notified amazon.uk. They refunded my payment immediately and said not to bother returning the deck. It finally arrived yesterday. I feel that maybe I should offer to pay for it anyhow. Opinions?

Sounds like they checked and saw the deck had been dispatched to you and decided to reimburse for extended delivery time which may have had nothing to do with them or you since it was coming from overseas. They instructed you to keep the deck before it even arrived, so it seems they knew (or suspected at least) that you were likely to still receive it, or at worst, suspected the deck might have become lost. Sounds like they made the right choice to either reimburse you for an extended delivery, or -just in case- a lost deck. I'd do as they instruct and keep the deck and the reimbursement. Since it wasn't lost, it was (2 weeks) beyond the expected delivery date... allow their well-reasoned decision and good will to flow; don't put a stopper in it with complicated communications, I'd say. :) If you want to pass along the good will, make a donation of some kind somewhere else.

Richard

I'm convinced now that it was more expedient for amazon to write it off as a (very small) loss and then have nothing more to do with it. Thanks for the observations, everyone.

SunChariot

I ordered a Tarot deck from amazon.uk. It was dispatched on November 15, and the estimated date of arrival was November 30. I waited until December 15, and it still had not arrived, so I notified amazon.uk. They refunded my payment immediately and said not to bother returning the deck. It finally arrived yesterday. I feel that maybe I should offer to pay for it anyhow. Opinions?

I would just keep it. IF they had refunded your money expecting you not to receive the deck THEN it showed up, then I would return it to them.

But since they already told you not to bother returning the deck, then they are fine with you not returning it. It was not your suggestion, it was theirs. They don't expect it back and are fine with it. Since they told you this in words, to me I would just keep it.

I believe their goal was to keep a satisfied customer. They likely believe they achieved that. For them, the issue is now completely resolved. Over and done. If you tell them you are not satisfied, that creates a problem for them in the present moment. They then have a new issue to deal with, when before there was none for them.

Babs

peacewing

I believe their goal was to keep a satisfied customer. They likely believe they achieved that. For them, the issue is now completely resolved. Over and done. If you tell them you are not satisfied, that creates a problem for them in the present moment. They then have a new issue to deal with, when before there was none for them.

Exactly!

It's a win/win situation here for everyone involved in the long run.
I think everyone's donation idea is a fabulous idea.
I've had a similar situation happen with Amazon as well where a long shipping time resulted in a refunded payment.
I asked an Amazon employee about this, and he gave an answer very, very similar to what you said.