How often?

Cocobird55

I try to do a one-card draw every morning.

DarkWolf

I use the Tarot daily. Instead of the well known one card daily draw I use the three card draw described by Sarah Bartlett in the Tarot Bible. This is 1) the main card of the day; 2) what needs to be attended to and, 3) what feelings/reactions to look out for. I find this spread very helpful for attuning to a new deck.

I really like that idea! I am writing myself a reminder to try this today. :grin:

blackmoonbee

Daily and I'll admit I use to buy into the idea of wearing the tarot cards out but insight from this forum definitely helped me abandon that thought. Also, I always read for myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonebeach

I see this in witchcraft communities, too, this idea that tarot or magic is something you only do now and then or when absolutely necessary.

But then how are you supposed to get BETTER at it? When I have an awesome workout at the gym and hit new PRs, it's not because I've worked out once every three months and "saved" energy. It's because I did something consistently--casually, so that it's not intimidating, but consistently.

How often do I read tarot? It varies. Several times a day, and then nothing for two weeks. Sometimes every other day or so. Sometimes every day, but usually not for long.

DarkWolf

Wheel of Fantastic,

I tried out the three card daily spread and I love it! It was eerily accurate, and much more informative than a one card draw.

I think I will be doing this daily from now on. Thanks so much for sharing this spread.

DarkWolf

DarkWolf

I see this in witchcraft communities, too, this idea that tarot or magic is something you only do now and then or when absolutely necessary.

But then how are you supposed to get BETTER at it?

My sentiments exactly. "Practice makes perfect."

I don't buy into the whole witchcraft thing. I know some members of this forum may, but I believe that Tarot is more of a "psychological tool" for lack of better wording. Through imagery and associations, the cards reveal to us what we need to know. That is why I feel more confident reading for myself, because only I can intuit what the cards are trying to tell me (through my thoughts and experiences). That doesn't mean I don't get stumped sometimes.

I do think there is a spiritual element to reading the cards as well, since your emotional and mental being are united in your focus (on questions for example). But also in the sense that you can be attracted to certain cards, as in a single card draw.

Hope that makes sense. Just my humble opinion in the matter.

DarkWolf

Kalisti

When I think of wearing the cards out, I think of asking the same question or variations of the same question to the same deck over and over. Using them daily for a one card draw or asking them different types of questions frequently? No, in that case the only "wearing out" they'll get is wear and tear, depending on how gingerly (or not) you handle them. It only takes a month or so for a new deck in my hands to get that slightly bent shuffling look.

I typically do at least one spread per week, but if I'm not really busy then I'll do several one card draws or smaller spreads per week. I try to do tarot at least three times a week, personally, either for myself or others, although I also count studying particular cards or decks as part of using them.

As far as witchcraft...it's only effective when you feel it and are into it. You could practice daily and have it mean nothing if you're forcing yourself. I don't practice beyond my personal morals/philosophy every day because some, maybe most, days require my energies elsewhere. It only means anything when you have the time and personal energy to use it to its fullest, IMO. Sometimes I go weeks without "practicing," but it doesn't negatively impact my practice or spirituality. If I go too long without meditating, visualizing or other practices within my craft, I do have to take steps back to readjust and balance myself, but at the end of the day I am no less what I was in that regard.

By the same token, if you feel it and are focused on it every day, I see that only making an even better witch, not a worse one! I don't get the idea of magic only being a "when absolutely necessary" thing. It's when YOU as the practitioner feel it, could be every day for every mundane thing, could be twice a year.

nisaba

I use mine for other people. I also love shuffling and looking at images in the different decks I have. I very, very rarely do readings for myself, but there are only occasionally days when I don't touch a Tarot deck.

Wheel of Fantastic

Wheel of Fantastic,

I tried out the three card daily spread and I love it! It was eerily accurate, and much more informative than a one card draw.

I think I will be doing this daily from now on. Thanks so much for sharing this spread.

DarkWolf

Yep, it's a good spread for daily practice. Mind you, I've had the Tower appear three times in less than a week in the 'what needs attending' position and the spread is now priming me to be hyper aware of what is going on daily and my reactions. Not sure whether that's a good thing or not...

Laurelle

I use my cards almost daily, though not always for readings. Often, I use them for deck study, meditation, dream work, ritual, or for reference when I am reading books about tarot. I have never heard the idea of "wearing out" the cards! IMO, using the cards regularly has only served to deepen my tarot practice.

This is also how I use them daily: Ritual, Meditation, daily guidance and book marks. I have a set that someone gave me called the golden rider waite and every library book I read, I return it with a Golden Rider Wait tarot card in it.

I try not to ask the same question over and over again. I've done this in the past and the answer is always the same. In fact, my daughter and I just played a game with https://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/06/02/yes-no-advice-oracle/ Mary Greer's Yes/No spread which we got from Padma....I wanted to show my daughter that asking the same question over and over again was pointless.

And guess what! All 8 times we did it the answer was still "No!"