Deck of the Week : Sign-up Thread: Week 282 : December 24 - December 30

dianekay

Tarot of Pagan Cats for me this week. A gift from my daughter--I'm enjoying it very much.

dianekay

And I should add that Pagan Cats is my first mini deck. So I'll be adjusting to the smaller size this week--a switch from last week when I felt the Deviant Moon cards were just a little too tall for me to handle comfortably.

UniversesCollide

Hey guys. I'm in with the Bonefire and the Moon Deck

Unfortunately the night before Yule I got awful sick and couldn't even stand the smell of the Bonefire fresh out of it's box. It had that slight smell that decks, especially glossy ones, sometimes have. But for me it was too much haha. Then the holidays and all that fun so I've been slowly getting to know the deck but haven't been on here much.

I did wait till Yule to open it though. Proud of me haha.

So far I'm finding it a lovely deck. I never got to see a copy of the first edition in person but Shiffer seems to have done a fabulous job with the mass market. I've always found them to be very good with the quality of their decks. I like the glossy finish which makes the deck feel sturdy, and the size which is not too much for smaller hands. The book is fantastic and in color which is really nice to see for a change. The way the book is written by the artist is very casual, just her talking about how she found inspiration for that particular card and what she painted. It's like talking to a friend and that's refreshing from the dry companion books I have plenty of. There's also an index in the back where she explains what each symbol in the cards means to her as at the end of each card entry there's a small list of the symbols in it's art.

I find myself drawn to using it for ancestor work and also to connect to the goddess Brighid, who is associated with fire and also to connect with my deeper self as I'm a fire element.

I'm sorry to hear you were ill for Yule but I'm glad you are enjoying your Bonefire deck and finding it so useful. Your description of the book's casual but meaningful entries is very appealing, something I look for in a companion book.

UniversesCollide

Well, it's about halfway through the week and I'm getting interesting insights. Tarot Apokalypsis gets a bit busy in a single card, not sure I like that all that much. I don't know if it's too vivid in color and texture or truly has too many images competing for attention. I really like card images that feel uncluttered. It could be that I have a lot going on right now and might be better minded toward this deck at a less hectic time. Sometimes when life is hectic, such as holiday season plus I have a lot happening in January and early February, I crave simplicity in other areas to help balance things. I will keep that in mind for my next few DotW selections.

RiverRunsDeep

Well, it's about halfway through the week and I'm getting interesting insights. Tarot Apokalypsis gets a bit busy in a single card, not sure I like that all that much. I don't know if it's too vivid in color and texture or truly has too many images competing for attention. I really like card images that feel uncluttered. It could be that I have a lot going on right now and might be better minded toward this deck at a less hectic time. Sometimes when life is hectic, such as holiday season plus I have a lot happening in January and early February, I crave simplicity in other areas to help balance things. I will keep that in mind for my next few DotW selections.

I don't own the Apokalypsis, but I do have the Illuminati and feel the same way about trying to read with it. Too noisy and stressful, like being in the middle of a dance club with deafening music and strobe lights. :D (Btw, I tried to type "stressful", and my laptop interpreted it as "streusel", haha!!)

Loving my deck choices this week, but I knew I would since this isn't my first time 'round the block with these. Carol Herzer's decks are pure enjoyment, unique, blingy, and easy-to-read RWS clones. As for the Christmas Tarot, I am disappointed to see that no one else really uses or talks about this deck. It is so beautiful! Basically, it looks like a lovely collection of Victorian style Christmas cards with enough similarities to the RWS tradition to make it an easy reader. I've been using it for the Sacred Days of Yule thread with excellent results.

DaughterOfDanu

I'm sorry to hear you were ill for Yule but I'm glad you are enjoying your Bonefire deck and finding it so useful. Your description of the book's casual but meaningful entries is very appealing, something I look for in a companion book.

I'm thrilled it's available in a mass market edition so others can give it a try without worrying about breaking the bank! I find the book really endearing, even after reading the intro I had so much respect for the artist, her journey, and the deck itself.

It's quickly taking on the feeling of an old friend and it's the perfect deck to begin working with as the year wraps up and another begins, as the origin of the deck's name deals with the burning of the old to make room and welcome in the new.

So this week has been very delightful and I'll probably work with the Bonefire again next week :D

UniversesCollide

I don't own the Apokalypsis, but I do have the Illuminati and feel the same way about trying to read with it. Too noisy and stressful, like being in the middle of a dance club with deafening music and strobe lights. :D (Btw, I tried to type "stressful", and my laptop interpreted it as "streusel", haha!!)

Loving my deck choices this week, but I knew I would since this isn't my first time 'round the block with these. Carol Herzer's decks are pure enjoyment, unique, blingy, and easy-to-read RWS clones. As for the Christmas Tarot, I am disappointed to see that no one else really uses or talks about this deck. It is so beautiful! Basically, it looks like a lovely collection of Victorian style Christmas cards with enough similarities to the RWS tradition to make it an easy reader. I've been using it for the Sacred Days of Yule thread with excellent results.

I think the Apokalypsis feels even more stressful than the Illuminati. Both are beautiful and bright and I thought I'd love them so much. I really learned about myself that way from using these two.

I'm so happy you're having such a great time with your choices, I'd never even heard of the Christmas Tarot before you mentioned it. I can't remember if I saw you mention it here or the Sacred Days of Yule thread first though. Speaking of which, I'm so glad I chose to use my Gilded deck for that, it's simple, beautiful, familiar and not stressing me out at all (unlike my cat who is walking across me right now) even though it gave me The Tower card today.

Madame Squee

Hey VG :love:

Here I am, the 10 o'clock scholar, arriving at noon! :p

Please sign me up this week and next with the Alchemical Tarot.

(I'm using the Cathar for an end of the year spread, but I don't think you have to list that one unless you want to.)

Thank you very much for this thread. :)

dianekay

I'm enjoying reading about everyone's deck experiences this week. And thanks for the Yule link, RRD. I'd like to do that next year.
The week is going well with my Pagan Cats. While both my previous DoTW decks (Crow's Magick and Deviant Moon) had a few cards I just didn't like, I'm finding I like all the Pagan Cats. They kind of remind me of Beatrix Potter's art, and they read really well. Very RWS with a few little twists of their own. Low stress, for sure. I think if I continue to click with these I might eventually invest in the full size deck. But maybe the mini is part of the charm for me. It's my first gift deck, so this makes it special too. Have any of you moved from a mini to full size or vice versa? Any thoughts on this?

Scarlet Woodland

I'm enjoying reading about everyone's deck experiences this week. And thanks for the Yule link, RRD. I'd like to do that next year.
The week is going well with my Pagan Cats. While both my previous DoTW decks (Crow's Magick and Deviant Moon) had a few cards I just didn't like, I'm finding I like all the Pagan Cats. They kind of remind me of Beatrix Potter's art, and they read really well. Very RWS with a few little twists of their own. Low stress, for sure. I think if I continue to click with these I might eventually invest in the full size deck. But maybe the mini is part of the charm for me. It's my first gift deck, so this makes it special too. Have any of you moved from a mini to full size or vice versa? Any thoughts on this?

I'm still in the same dithery space with my mini cats :D The full size has been on my wishlist forever but I never get around to pulling the trigger. I did go from a pocket to a large on the Thoth but that doesn't really help as I haven't got around to tackling either form yet.