Why do people shuffle more than one time?

page of wands

So, do you turn around clockwise or counter clockwise? And, what kind of tea do you drink? Important details, you know. :p:p

With a new deck, I normally riffle shuffle seven times because I have read that is the number to officially randomize a deck. After that, I overhand shuffle while I am meditating upon my issue or question, then stop shuffling when it feels right.

:) :) :) I think this is good. Instead of thinking of a number I need to do each time, I should concentrate more on the question or issue (and that I am shuffling correctly because sometimes they don't fit together).

Edward Tarot Hands

So, do you turn around clockwise or counter clockwise? And, what kind of tea do you drink? Important details, you know. :p:p

Hahha
I would say if you're in the northern hemisphere you should turn clockwise and counterclockwise in the southern hemisphere.
I find green tea (loose leaf) goes well with shuffling!

nisaba

How many times do you shuffle? Why that number?

I'm brand new to this, so I'm really curious to know.

When I'm pulling cards for myself, I shuffle "until the deck feels done", which is what I ask face-to-face clients to do when I'm reading for them and they shuffle.

If I'm reading online and I have to shuffle for someone else, I have no way of knowing when the deck would feel done to them, so I have an agreement with all my decks that I shuffle X-number-of-times, and the right cards will come up at the top of the deck in the right order.

It works.

UniversesCollide

I've been playing with cards since I was in preschool and taught myself a lot of shuffles and card handling but there are plenty of videos online for modern students. I like to mix things up in the same shuffle and alternate Faro/perfect, overhand, riffle, and cutting several times to really be sure I've randomized my deck. I don't have much confidence in overhand shuffling alone but I like it between others and that's also the shuffle I end with. I usually overhand a few times at the end until it feels right.

I've read that to fully randomize a 52 card deck, 7 riffles is what to aim for. Less than that is not adequate and more than that improves it only insignificantly or negligibly per time. I've read that overhand shuffling would require thousands of shuffles to randomize a deck of just 52 cards so I don't rely on that.

So, why don't I just do 7 riffles and be done with it? I enjoy they way I do it, I enjoy handling my cards. And I'm sure to get in enough riffles (I count Faro as a form of riffle) to satisfy the 7. The cuts and overhand are more for the energy and flow. Oh, and pleasure.

When I'm doing a series of questions for the same person on similar aspects I only overhand a few times, until it feels right, for each new spread.

Just a note: 8 perfect shuffles in a row returns the deck to the starting order but that is the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

UniversesCollide

Do you make the little snow globe thing afterward too? I could never do that, might dad would do it and i thought it was magical. xD

Are you talking about the bridge to finish off the riffle shuffle? Snow globe is more of a showboat move during card cutting, not used with riffling.

Bridging after riffling is fun and makes a great sound. Get a simple poker deck next time you're at the store and fearlessly practice, your hands will get it eventually and as I said in my previous post, there are tons of videos online to help you with hand and finger positions.

PAMUYA

I start to shuffle as soon as my client takes their seat, I shuffle while my client is talking, what is it that they want clarification on? Once this is resolved I stop shuffling. Why do I do this? Because it feels right for me. I have a whole ritual. All my clients know it. ;) I recently did a reading for a young lady (20 ish) she kept talking and talking.. trying to figure out where her problem was, I kept shuffling and listening, her energy was all over the place, when she settled on her issue I stopped shuffling and she selected the pile from which I drew her cards. By shuffling, I concentrate on her words, her energy, her question (which she writes down). She is concentrating on her issues, I talk as little as possible while shuffling. All my attention is on her energy, her issues, and the shuffle. This is the opening to the reading, making sure it is her energy being expressed in the cards.

page of wands

When I'm pulling cards for myself, I shuffle "until the deck feels done", which is what I ask face-to-face clients to do when I'm reading for them and they shuffle.

If I'm reading online and I have to shuffle for someone else, I have no way of knowing when the deck would feel done to them, so I have an agreement with all my decks that I shuffle X-number-of-times, and the right cards will come up at the top of the deck in the right order.

It works.

it seems like a lot of people shuffle until it feels done.

page of wands

I've been playing with cards since I was in preschool and taught myself a lot of shuffles and card handling but there are plenty of videos online for modern students. I like to mix things up in the same shuffle and alternate Faro/perfect, overhand, riffle, and cutting several times to really be sure I've randomized my deck. I don't have much confidence in overhand shuffling alone but I like it between others and that's also the shuffle I end with. I usually overhand a few times at the end until it feels right.

I've read that to fully randomize a 52 card deck, 7 riffles is what to aim for. Less than that is not adequate and more than that improves it only insignificantly or negligibly per time. I've read that overhand shuffling would require thousands of shuffles to randomize a deck of just 52 cards so I don't rely on that.

So, why don't I just do 7 riffles and be done with it? I enjoy they way I do it, I enjoy handling my cards. And I'm sure to get in enough riffles (I count Faro as a form of riffle) to satisfy the 7. The cuts and overhand are more for the energy and flow. Oh, and pleasure.

When I'm doing a series of questions for the same person on similar aspects I only overhand a few times, until it feels right, for each new spread.

Just a note: 8 perfect shuffles in a row returns the deck to the starting order but that is the opposite of what I'm trying to do.

pretty interesting about the 7 times shuffling that they say. i get bored after 3 shuffles.

page of wands

Are you talking about the bridge to finish off the riffle shuffle? Snow globe is more of a showboat move during card cutting, not used with riffling.

Bridging after riffling is fun and makes a great sound. Get a simple poker deck next time you're at the store and fearlessly practice, your hands will get it eventually and as I said in my previous post, there are tons of videos online to help you with hand and finger positions.

i don't know what it's called. its when you hold the deck with both hands. maybe it is the bridge.