Determined Card

lilylilac

When I was shuffling my deck for a reading, the eight of wands fell out.
I heard that when that happens, that could mean that the deck wants you to pick that card.
Just being started at tarot, I assumed it was just that I'm not that good at shuffling the cards.

So I picked it up, put it back in the deck, and shuffled the cards some more.
When I was done shuffling, the card that I picked was... the eight of wands.

That is one determined card! Is that a thing that happens often in tarot?

Interestingly enough, the question was about whether this was a good time to call a friend,
and one of the definitions I looked up for the card is literally,
"Having a meaningful conversation" Which was pretty amazing.

I'm not super sure this is the right place to post this, but wow.

Zephyros

That depends on what you're asking. :)

General discussion about the meaning of "jumpers," as they are called, is what Talking Tarot is for. If you want to know the meaning of the Eight of Wands as a persistent card, that's more suited to Using Tarot Cards.

lilylilac

That depends on what you're asking. :)

General discussion about the meaning of "jumpers," as they are called, is what Talking Tarot is for. If you want to know the meaning of the Eight of Wands as a persistent card, that's more suited to Using Tarot Cards.

Yes, I'm inquiring about the "jumper" card. Does that mean anything in particular?
Like, the deck is super super sure, or something like that?
I find the experience of a card literally jumping out of a deck really fascinating.

Barleywine

Some people are convinced they have great significance, but I'm not one of them. I chalk it up to my clumsy shuffling, given that most decks are oversized compared to standard playing cards. I tend to drop them in clusters when the deck seems to "mutiny." I suppose if you always riffle-shuffle instead of overhand, you'd never see one. If I get a jumper that falls face-down, I stick it back in the deck and keep shuffling. If it falls face-up, I do what a judge tells the jury when disallowing evidence: "The jury will disregard that last piece of testimony." If I happen to see the card and it then turns up in the reading, I sometimes give it slightly more weight for its "determination."

lilylilac

Some people are convinced they have great significance, but I'm not one of them. I chalk it up to my clumsy shuffling, given that most decks are oversized compared to standard playing cards. I tend to drop them in clusters when the deck seems to "mutiny." I suppose if you always riffle-shuffle instead of overhand, you'd never see one. If I get a jumper that falls face-down, I stick it back in the deck and keep shuffling. If it falls face-up, I do what a judge tells the jury when disallowing evidence: "The jury will disregard that last piece of testimony." If I happen to see the card and it then turns up in the reading, I sometimes give it slightly more weight for its "determination."

That sounds like a good way to go about things! Thankyou so much for your input!

Grizabella

I'm with Barleywine on this.

Each individual reader will come to their own beliefs and ways of doing things and none of them are really wrong. Considering the cards "jumpers" and giving them meaning within a reading will come to mean something significant for some readers and just "dropped cards" to others. If there's some hidden meaning in them, I see them as cards that are removing themselves from the running so they can't be drawn for the reading. That does give them some significance but opposite of what some other readers think they mean. It's similar to looking for what isn't there---for instance, if a spread includes 3 Aces, then the real significance might be in the card that isn't there. Example: all the suits are represented except the Cups so this might be read as there being a lack of love involved in something.

Michellehihi

I can relate to you but in a slightly different situation: it happened several times that when I had finished shuffling, I saw the bottom card of the deck and therefore I decided to shuffle more, because I don't want to see any card before doing the spread. And almost every time, after further shuffling, the first card I would draw was the card tha I had earlier seen! Amazing.

euripides

I'm one of the 'always read them' crowd. I often do single draws, so a single jumper, or just a few, I pay attention to. To me they're shouting 'look at me!'. If you read for others and do specific spreads, this might be more problematic.

I think the main thing is consistency. Choose whichever suits your way of reading and your feeling about them best, and handle them consistently from there.

so I think so far the options are:
Remove: they don't want to be read
Ignore: It's a meaningless mis-shuffle: replace, shuffle well. (variation: pay attention if appearing in spread)
Read: they're asking for attention.

SunChariot

When I was shuffling my deck for a reading, the eight of wands fell out.
I heard that when that happens, that could mean that the deck wants you to pick that card.
Just being started at tarot, I assumed it was just that I'm not that good at shuffling the cards.

So I picked it up, put it back in the deck, and shuffled the cards some more.
When I was done shuffling, the card that I picked was... the eight of wands.

That is one determined card! Is that a thing that happens often in tarot?

Interestingly enough, the question was about whether this was a good time to call a friend,
and one of the definitions I looked up for the card is literally,
"Having a meaningful conversation" Which was pretty amazing.

I wouldn't say it's the kind of thing that happens OFTEN, but it IS the kind of thing that happens when there is an important life lesson for you that your life feels you really need to know. Then the card will keep coming up until you see and understand it's message, even over a period of days or weeks. If you NEED to know it the message will keep coming up.

Yes, the cards are very amazing and accurate.

Of course imo, it is not the card itself that was determined to come up. But the source of wisdom that is answering you THROUGH the cards when you ask your questions that was determined that you receive this information that you need to know. It is not the cards that answer us, but to me a communication with something else that is wise, open, kind, loving that can and does send us answers through the tool that is the cards.

But then again opinions vary greatly on what it is that is answering us. But answer it does.

Babs

Mossery

I do read (and kind of love getting) jumper cards. I'm a pretty careful, slow shuffler, so it's not often they show up.
When they pop up, I don't include them in the spread, but I set them outside of the reading. I noticed they're usually either great clarifying cards for the reading or, as mentioned by others, signal a pressing matter that needs attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk