Bad Dreams

lilylilac

Yesterday I bought two new decks, the shadowcaster and a gilded deck, they are both still in the packaging. I also bought a Selenite and wrapped that up with my Steampunk deck, because the lady at the local tarot store said that was good for cleansing.

Suddenly, I'm having nightmares about tarot cards attacking me.

Should I go through the decks one by one and see which one is upset, and why?

I've only had my Steampunk deck a week, do you think it's upset I bought new decks?

All suggestions appreciated.

Alissa

Do you think it's the idea of using Tarot that's causing you anxiety, or have you been reading a long time?

Personally, I don't ascribe to the idea that a deck itself can cause nightmares. I wonder if your dream Tarot cards may be symbolic of you using/accessing your own intuitive side, and the cards' attack could be symbolic of your own trepidation regarding accessing your intuition?

Also, a deck can't get upset at another deck. That is anthropomorphic, put another way, a hammer doesn't get pissed that you brought home a wrench, and start causing you nightmares because of it. Right?

Tanga

Ditto Alissa.

IMO - the deck is not causing you nightmares. You are.
You are having some kind of subconscious issue that is manifesting as nightmares - and Alissa's suggestion seems pretty plausible to me.
It could be something else ofcourse. I've no idea as I've no expertise in this.

I hope it becomes clear for you. :heart:

Perhaps using a "safe"/familiar/favourite deck and a spread on finding out the meaning of your dream (your subconscious) could be helpful? There's a dreams section in Tarot Spreads here on AT.

Grizabella

Decks are tools and like Alissa said, your hammer won't get mad at you for buying a shovel and neither will your cards. :)

There are no spirits clinging to decks, we don't open portals where evil spirits might get conjured up (but some people might choose to do it on purpose) and the deck won't do anything on its own like move itself during the night or anything woo-woo like cards flying around the room on their own or something. There's nothing dark or evil that's going to happen to us for using the cards.

If you've had bad dreams, it's probably that you're just subconsciously conflicted about whether the cards are evil and it's coming out in your dreams. There's been so much undeserved hype around the world "occult" that people think the cards must be satanic or something. The word "occult" actually means just "unknown", not anything sinister.

Dogs&Coffee

Yesterday I bought two new decks, the shadowcaster and a gilded deck, they are both still in the packaging. I also bought a Selenite and wrapped that up with my Steampunk deck, because the lady at the local tarot store said that was good for cleansing.

I've only had my Steampunk deck a week, do you think it's upset I bought new decks?

All suggestions appreciated.

Sometimes I get nightmares when I spend money on things that are relatively expensive and extraneous. Maybe you're just a bit anxious about having made a big purchase on extra tarot? Buyer's remorse is a hell of a drug ;)

Farzon

Did you see which cards attacked you? Maybe your dream hints at parts of your personality that you push aside... so of it were individual and recognizable cards that did attack you, maybe you should meditate on their meaning?

Hopefuldreamer

Have you watched or read anything scary or even weird lately? It might seem silly, but I was doing tarot readings a couple weeks ago while watching Poltergeist. I ended having a dream about inviting my sister over, and doing a reading for her. I lived in a house (even though I actually live in an apartment) and weird things started to happen while I was doing the reading for her. There were these giant earwigs crawling around and I tried to kill one, and it turned into a bunch of smaller earwigs. I just took the dream as doing readings and watching Poltergeist and that was it.

nisaba

What makes you think any of them are? Dreams show what is happening in YOUR subconscious. All I get from your account of this, is that somewhere in your life you have internalised the fact that other people somewhere might believe Tarot is bad, and your subconscious is saying to you "What if they're right?"

To get rid of the dreams, work on your own self-confidence.

Darlin' I have about 170 decks and I randomly buy decks from time to time, they're all quite happy to snuggle down in the same wicker baskets together and let me use whichever of them I want to use, new or old. :)