Eden Gray's Mastering the Tarot

AngelDancer

Hi guys,

I'm confused... In the book Mastering the Tarot, Eden Gray says that the water bearer (Aquarius) symbolises the water element and the eagle (the transformed Scorpio) symbolises the element of air. In all other books that bring up astrological correspondences for the Tarot the Water bearer corresponds with air (Aquarius) and the Eagle with water (Scorpio).

Are there different schools of thought on this?

The reason I'm asking is that this is such a well-known book... 30 odd years ago there was precious little else in print. Could it be that a whole generation of tarot readers got it wrong because of this book?

Cheers,
AD
x

BodhiSeed

Hi Angeldancer,
I have "Mastering the Tarot" but can't find the information you're referring to. Can you tell me what page Gray makes this statement on?

Bodhran

AngelDancer

It's in lesson 2 - General observations. In my copy (Signet 1973) it's on page 21.

:) AD

BodhiSeed

Okay, I think I see why you assume she assigned the signs to these elements, but actually it is just a case of bad editing. In the first paragraph she lists the elements and the second paragraph she lists the signs, and you are pairing them according to their order. This editing mistake is unfortunate. However, if you read Lesson 15, Tarot and Astrology, you will see that she actually pairs Taurus with Earth, Scorpio with Water, Aquarius with Air, and Leo with Fire.

Bodhran

AngelDancer

thanks for this, bodhran, i've just checked chapter 15. there is mention of the water bearer being aquarius/air, but there's no mention of the eagle representing the higher transformed state of the scorpio which makes me wonder whether the author is aware of this symbology.

the four fixed signs do not only correspond to the four elements, the four corners of the world and the four suits of the tarot, but also to the four evangelists. the symbol of st john is the transformed scorpio - the eagle - because st john, according to legend, never died physically but ascended into heaven in his physical body (this is also the reason why st john's day is the only saint's day that is celebrated in honour of his birthday rather than the day he died/was martyred).

also, i'm surprised to find that judgment has been assigned to scorpio. judgment is usually the element of fire.

hmm...