Outline - AT Comparative Deck Study Group

contrascarpe

Hello all -

Based on a few days of discussions and polls, I would like to announce an intent to form an official study group here on AT. The focus of the group will be to study the meanings of cards spread out over multiple decks.

The intent is twofold:

1) To form an understanding of a particular card and to hopefully gain some insight on that particular card no matter what deck you use. This can be helpful during a reading when you are "stuck" for a meaning. Instead of being boxed in by a "set" meaning, maybe something from the discussion will stick and shed new light on this card, even if you don't own the deck it was mentioned in.
2) To get to know more of your decks better. If you are like me, you have alot of decks, some of which get ignored because you feel more comfortable with one or another. But there is so much wisdom in some cards from other decks which can lead to a "Eureka" moment.

So with that in mind, with alot of my AT friends here, I would like to propose this group for official membership, with the intent that eventually, when we meet the criteria, we get our own forum. I would also like to pay homage to the Comparitive group that started late last Fall by providing links as time permits plus, if nobody objects, provide links to the other great study groups here when cards come up.

The format will be as follows:

Every so often (no set time period but I anticipate every 7-10 days), I will draw a card at random from one of my decks and that will be the "current" study card. I will post a general observation based on my limited knowledge, probably referencing an RWS definition that I have studied. From there on, it would be nice if each individual post follows one of two formats:

A) Your own personal view of that card from one of your decks: multiple decks are encouraged, but if you follow this, please limit the post to this deck. Under the Subject Line, reference the deck mentioned and then discuss the card at your own discretion. Use the following as guidelines, but feel free to be expressive:
- Discussion of the symbolism on the card.
- Similarities to other cards discussed.
- Contrasts to other cards discussed.
- Our perceived interpretation to this particular card, whether it be temporary (how the card makes you feel at that particular moment) or a more lasting one.
B) A reaction to a previous post - again, please refer to the Subject line and maybe mention not only the deck, but the poster you are referring to.

This is meant to be loose, but if we keep some sort of structure, it will benefit us all, novice and experienced alike.

With all of this in mind, please contact me anytime with any comments or suggestions. As I said, and I mean, this is your forum to discuss cards. I look forward to all the viewpoints here and if I overstep my bounds, I expect to hear that as well.

I look forward to having fun with you all in this forum :)

First card tomorrow ...... get your decks ready .......

Thanks,
Dan

contrascarpe

Hmm, replying to my own post .... not a good sign for mental health, hehe.

Well, I chose a card to begin with! I will reveal it sometime Saturday evening after my local Tarot Circle meets, but wanted to state the circumstances behind the draw.

As fate would have it ....... I chose the Golden Tarot for the draw as this is my favorite deck at the moment. While I was shuffling, this card fell out of the deck. I looked at it and mused that it would be funny to see this card be the one chosen (no particular reason, just a thought that flew through my mind). I shuffled and riffled for another ten minutes (yes, I am obsessive) and after my cut, this card came out!!!!!! So, fate has chosen our first card.

Not to keep suspense, but get ready to concentrate on a Major Arcana card ....... and a good one. All guesses are welcome, hehe.

lunalafey

as Fey-t would have it;
I shuffled my deck of choice: gimme an 'F'- shuffle; gimme an 'E'- shuffle; gimme a 'Y'- shuffle, cut and draw-

XX~ Judgement
{?}

Nitegoddess

Sounds interesting Dan,
Can't wait to read the posts :)

Mimers

OK, Dan, it's 10pm. How long does the tarot circle last anyway? I am dying to know what card you picked?

Is it the Fool?

Mimi

mysticalowl

I'm game...you have to love when fate steps in. :)

paradoxx

lets not be FOOLS here, lets have our first card be an important one.

miss_apples

paradoxx said:
lets not be FOOLS here, lets have our first card be an important one.

I think the fool is a very important card :)

contrascarpe

Mimers said:
OK, Dan, it's 10pm. How long does the tarot circle last anyway? I am dying to know what card you picked?

Is it the Fool?

Mimi

Mimers -

We stayed at the Circle until 2 AM hoping you would show up, hehe.

To all, thanks for your patience. Going to get started here soon. First need to post a Table of Contents, and then the first card ......

The Sun!

Dan

contrascarpe

Feedback

Less than one day (a Holiday no less) after the first card posted and we already have 15 decks and posts from 10 different people. Wow, that is great - thank you for coming out! I envision more joining us as time goes on.

Remember, feel free to comment on a deck even if it has already been covered. The idea is for you to get to know YOUR deck better. I know personally I am not reading the posts yet of ones covering decks I own because I want my thoughts to initially being my own before I read it and go "hmm, I never saw that".

Now that we are under way, is everyone happy with the format? You don't have to follow the format I posted to the "T" - feel free to add/subtract information as you see fit.

Thanks!
Dan