Pulling Clarifiers After the Reading

Le Fanu

I do not use clarifiers
Me neither. Something new-fangled from the 90s, no? I honestly don't remember hearing / reading about clarifiers before the NewAgey 90s. But if you find them useful, use them...

cbiz83

I only use deck-jumpers. If it pops out on it's own, i'll *consider* it in conjunction. But when I was more hesitant than I am now, I'd pull out clarifiers and it's like a bottomless pit of pulling more cards.

I'm more content with saying: the cards say what they say and my task is to work to understand them. Equally, if I'm a mess, the cards will be too. And sometimes, I scrap a reading.

Shibiusa

I don't use clarifiers... If I'm in doubt about the meaning of the spread, I usually take a picture or write it down so I can look for the meaning (or asking someone what they think of it). If I'm really lazy, I end up doing another spread about it (quite rare and I wouldn't really recommend it. I just do it if I'm not really focused on the first spread and I realize I wasn't sync'd) or I'll ask my cards if my interpretation is correct (a simple yes/no spread).
Probably my actions aren't really an example, since I'm still a newbie, but oh well :p

Grizabella

Maybe instead of clarifying cards, you could research the cards meaning more in depth. There are many astrological, kabbalistic and occult symbolism in tarot. It might be an opportunity for you to take the cards into a different realm of understanding.

I like to do some reading about added stuff in some of my go-to reference books between readings. The latest one I've tackled is Tarot Beyond the Basics by Anthony Louis. It covers astrology and things I haven't learned yet. I'm doing well enough without what's in the book, but it can't ever hurt to broaden one's education no matter what they're pursuing, in my opinion.

As for clarifiers, I don't really use those. Sometimes I draw extra cards, but I don't consider them anything more than just added information. There have been times that I was doing spreads when I'd get interrupted and have to come back to the spread later. What I do in that case is just pick up the cards in the order they were put down and then put those cards facing in toward the other cards in the deck so I could easily come back and find my place when I had time. I don't do it if I'm reading for someone else, though. This was just when I was doing practice spreads for myself.

gregory

Never ever.

And I have to say - whenever you see the words "totally confused" in a reading here (not from someone new to reading) - run the word clarifier through the "find in this page" option. There's a very good chance that the word will show up.

They don't clarify; they add mud. :)

nisaba

Me neither. Something new-fangled from the 90s, no? ...

It think it may have been about then that people started to spend significant time on the net (I know I did from about 1991 on, but I was an early starter), and we started noticing that brainwave patterns and concentration-spans were changing. People stopped wanting to sit thoughtfully with things for a while and really learn deeply, and started wanting "quick fixes" and shallow, superficial learning. And yes, I never heard about clarifying cards until the late 1990s either. By which time you and I had been reading for about a hundred years. :)

Cocobird55

i do use them to help me understand the reading. i've found them helpful.

fractalgranny

totally agree that if it works keep it and if it doesn't chuck it.

another thing to keep in mind is that some readings ARE not so clear. just like life! i find that often, in conversation between the sitter and the reader, things can become a bit more clear. i love it when in the course of those conversations we go back, look at the spread or a particular card again and say, OH! that makes sense now! and sometimes it still feels murky. i personally think it's important to accept that. having said that, i have never done or received a reading where i did not get at least a BIT more insight into the situation.

Morwenna

I've used clarifiers on occasion but not extensively, only maybe a card or two, and I haven't done that in ages. That said, a friend of mine (an experienced reader) did show in a workshop a technique of using a clarifier on each card in a specific spread, to add another layer to the reading. But I think that's a different thing.

I wouldn't think of doing so long after the fact, though. That would be, as was said above, time for a whole new reading.