OSHO Zen Tarot Study Group: XVI Thunderbolt...

Indigo Rose

"The card shows a tower being burned, destroyed, blown apart. A man and a woman are leaping from it not because they want to, but because they have no choice. In the background is a transparent, meditating figure representing the witnessing consciousness......but this inner earthquake is both necessary and tremendously important...if you allow it, you will emerge from the wreckage stronger and more available for new experiences."Osho Zen Tarot, by Osho

As painful as it can be, sometimes 'falling out of our tower' is the best thing that can happen to us. It takes a thunderbolt or something equally dramatic to shake us loose from structures that no longer serve us.

:heart:

YDM42

I like the idea of that tower being "I" in EGO~ after all that is what makes the shock more profound isnt it?

Judith D

You can see here that however awful and disruptive the overthrow of your thoughts / deeds / ideas etc may be, your 'witnessing consciousness' (such a lovely expression) does not have to be overthrown as well, but can still rest in peace that all is for a reason and will be shown to you in due course.
I like the way the fires of the tower burn at the chakra points - while the tower is being destroyed our energy centres, especially the lower ones, are available to be enthused, to create the boundless energy we will need if we are to rebuild.

squeakmo9

Yes, I agree, the Tower and this Thunderbolt does scream of "there is a reason for all things". At times this concept has been a difficult one to understand.
Seldom do our egos know what the hell is going on, but you can always rely on our Higher Selves, or our Souls to understand the whys and hows.
If the foundation of given circumstances simply aren't good, then the whole buiding will topple onto itself, regardless of all our "well meaning good intentions". Harsh realizations will make themselves known one way or another, and I think this card does a good job of illustrating that.

firecatpickles

I, too, noticed the fires burning at the chakra points. There is a reason for all things, even blocked chakras...

purple_scorp

What if this body/tower was not a very pleasant place to be, but the occupants were too afraid or couldn't do anything to improve their situation? Then, these fires would be seen as a blessing in disguise.

Many people fear the tower in a tarot deck because they are afraid of change. But, I'm sure, when you look back through your own life and recount the times that you were forced to change a situation, that no matter what happened - you grew as a person....and isn't this what life is all about?

with love
purple_scorp

Master_Margarita

What I love the most about this card is that the somewhat traditional Tower images of the falling bodies and lightning bolts are juxtaposed with the witnessing consciousness (perhaps the same Awareness we saw emerging in Card VII). That consciousness sits serene and unmoved. Unmoved. I love that. "If you can stay calm in front of a tiger, you can surely survive."

Rev_Vesta

Thunderbolt XVI

This is a card, that when it comes up you know there will be a leap into the unknown... a risk you need to take....action that needs to take place.....
but you must focus on what you must do......

Do you stay where you know you will get burnt, hurt, etc?
or do you move forward? Do you take that unknown risk with hope?

the Thunderbolt hits the Building causing a fire, now do you panic, or do you stay calm and know what you must do , so you can survive...think logically and saftly... you do not want to put yourself in danger, but you want to remove yourself from what is causing you danger...........

Blessings
Vesta

kayless

This card reminds me of the Tower, in the Marseille Tarot. It's also the 16th card in the Marseille Tarot. To me, they both mean the same thing.

Fostha

purple_scorp said:
What if this body/tower was not a very pleasant place to be, but the occupants were too afraid or couldn't do anything to improve their situation? Then, these fires would be seen as a blessing in disguise.

Many people fear the tower in a tarot deck because they are afraid of change. But, I'm sure, when you look back through your own life and recount the times that you were forced to change a situation, that no matter what happened - you grew as a person....and isn't this what life is all about?

with love
purple_scorp
I think everyone,at some point in their life will have a "thunderbolt" moment,and i agree wholeheartedly with the first paragraph here.Sometimes we are too afraid,fear change,or our inner fire has burnt out,reasons are endless,but when you look back and its a memory that never leaves you,you learn from it,and move on,but you can see that it really was a blessing in disguise,and you're never the same person afterwards. Probably my favourite card of this deck,lovely.