Caitlin Matthews new book

MissChiff

Caitlin Matthews Untold Tarot: the Lost Art of Reading Ancient Tarots is drawing closer, as I scan images ready for the hand in. She just posted this yesterday on her Facebook page! She said it's a book about how to read the Marseille Tarot, with a lot of emphasis on the minors.

decan

Interesting! In the Tarot de Marseille the Minors remain a challenge for me!

Barleywine

I'm really looking forward to this! Any help I can get in reading the TdM pips beyond just applying numerical and suit considerations will be appreciated. I just hope she doesn't get into counting petals and buds and branches as a way to squeeze meaning out of the images. Something a little more categorically well-integrated or synthesized is needed. :)

ihcoyc

Always happy to see a new book about reading with classic and non-esoteric decks.

decan

I think I will order the Hadar Tarot de Marseille, so it would be helpful if I have a good book concerning TdM decks!
Actually I have had a few in the past, but I used only the Major Acarna, what was a problem because 22 cards it's a bit short!

Barleywine

I think I will order the Hadar Tarot de Marseille, so it would be helpful if I have a good book concerning TdM decks!
Actually I have had a few in the past, but I used only the Major Acarna, what was a problem because 22 cards it's a bit short!

Hopefully it will have a coherent, comprehensive and convincing approach to decoding the pips. So far the source I like best for that is Joseph Maxwell's book The Tarot, but it's quite heavy lifting from a numerological perspective.

Good deck choice by the way: bullet-proof card stock (if a bit glossy) and rich, brilliant colors. Not especially "traditional," but one of my favorites.

decan

Hopefully it will have a coherent, comprehensive and convincing approach to decoding the pips. So far the source I like best for that is Joseph Maxwell's book The Tarot, but it's quite heavy lifting from a numerological perspective.

Good deck choice by the way: bullet-proof card stock (if a bit glossy) and rich, brilliant colors. Not especially "traditional," but one of my favorites.
Yes I hope so!
Concerning Joseph Maxwell I just read a post from Lee on it (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=181885#post181885), and I have the impression that Lee got mixed feelings from Maxwell's book; I didn't know that Maxwell was French! Interesting!
According to the informations I just got he isn't nevertheless a contemporary (1858-1938).

In any case I will be very curious about Caitlin Matthews new book! It seems that this book will release next year! Patience, patience!!

Barleywine

Yes I hope so!
Concerning Joseph Maxwell I just read a post from Lee on it (http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?p=181885#post181885), and I have the impression that Lee got mixed feelings from Maxwell's book; I didn't know that Maxwell was French! Interesting!
According to the informations I just got he isn't nevertheless a contemporary (1858-1938).

In any case I will be very curious about Caitlin Matthews new book! It seems that this book will release next year! Patience, patience!!

My understanding from previous discussions on Maxwell is that the English translation has many problems, and also that the original French version is a very difficult read because of Maxwell's idiosyncrasies. It's the core of numerological thought (especially the concept of isomorphs) that gave me the most inspiration for interpreting the pip cards. I never warmed up to the iterative approach of other authors where you count up the flowers, buds, leaves and branches, see what their relative health is and how they're distributed, and then draw conclusions from the results. I just glaze over very quickly trying to do this. I hope Matthews has a better idea.

decan

Thanks for the tip, I will probably take a look at this book in french (if available).
Else, yes to count up the flowers, buds, leaves and branches looks like an approach a bit far-fetched!