Why the Noblet?

Yuri

The Dodal

The Dodal is another really old deck, which is even quirkier than the Noblet, and it also is very fashionable. Maybe 'quirky' is the key to these decks' popularity, a reaction to the more refined imagery of the Conver reconstructions, such as the CBD.

The older decks are fascinating from the historical standpoint, but for a Tarot deck to really use, I appreciate having images that are easy on the eyes, such as the ISIS. Maybe it is only a personal idiosyncrasy, but I much prefer being distracted by beauty than by quirkiness. :)

I love the Dodal, especially its faded imagery. If I had the cash, that's what I would get, not the reconstructed one. (I wouldn't use it to read with, probably because I'd be too afraid of damaging it, but I would keep it to look at every now and then.) For regular use (as in readings), I use the Fournier Tarot de Marseille, which is a modern deck. I find the fact that it has a soft blue background makes it more user friendly or cheerier on the eyes:) It's not as "harsh" as the white background of a regular TdM. The colors are warmer, too. Cheers!

Placebo Scotsman

I don't see anything particularly quirky about the Dodal

The artist who designed it seemed to be working under the theory that covering up as much space as possible would give any potential customers the feeling they were getting their moneys worth.

End result is the proportions are a bit odd, but the figures themselves have an expansive look to them. And the faces are covered under features that are way to big for them, giving them a proto anime look.

So you have these characters with an exaggerated air of concern who look like they have something important they need to convey and are stretching at the boundaries of their boxes so they can break free and tell it to you.

Some will find these appealing things to have in a deck.

prudence

I don't see anything particularly quirky about the Dodal

The artist who designed it seemed to be working under the theory that covering up as much space as possible would give any potential customers the feeling they were getting their moneys worth.

End result is the proportions are a bit odd, but the figures themselves have an expansive look to them. And the faces are covered under features that are way to big for them, giving them a proto anime look.

So you have these characters with an exaggerated air of concern who look like they have something important they need to convey and are stretching at the boundaries of their boxes so they can break free and tell it to you.

Some will find these appealing things to have in a deck.
I think this is a wonderful way to describe this deck! You really nailed it.

I am also a big fan of the Noblet, I just adore it and its quirks. I am not a huge fan of perfect looking historical decks, or as LRichard described them "easier on the eyes".... I can get beautiful/pretty decks from any publisher these days....there is something special about one made so long ago, and getting to see it as it may have looked when it was first created, so long ago. My Noblet has had enough use that it is looking a bit aged now. I like the card stock and the size of the cards. The facial expressions are also a big part of its charm for me. And, for whatever weird reason, the heavy eye lids of the people in this deck, as well as in the Dodal, really tickle my fancy. But I am a bit of a weirdo that way.

Pam O

I just got the new 2014 Noblet, and I LOVE the size!!

This in the LWB, "Noblet disturbs, fascinates and irrititates by turn. It is a tarot we love or destest according to our capacity for seeing with new eyes. As those who have worked with it can confirm, the deck is pwerfully operative, speaking to the unconsciuous more intensely than other versions of tarot. It is unbridled and unrestrained, like an enginge with no speed control. Noblet takes you fast and far into the dimension of perception. His deck stimulates the spirit being, it incites much more to action than to reflection. It is a picture book accessible to all. No reference work or authoraitative study is needed to seize its quientessence. The tarot of Jean Noblet is an open door to the world."

Some pretty strong opinions that I don't necessarily agree with: "It is a tarot we love or detest according to our capacity for seeing with new eyes"....

Just because someone does not like this deck, it does not necessarily mean someone does not have capacity to see with new eyes. They may, or may not, like what they see. Just because something can be mind expanding, does not mean we have to LIKE (or "love") the art...

I am curious to see if I end up liking the deck as I explore it a bit more.

Bluefeet

I just got the new 2014 Noblet, and I LOVE the size!!

The new 2014 edition is available? Excellent news! Would you mind sharing how does it compare to the first edition in terms of card stock, printing quality and colors etc? :D

Pam O

The new 2014 edition is available? Excellent news! Would you mind sharing how does it compare to the first edition in terms of card stock, printing quality and colors etc? :D

I have no idea.

This is my one and only Noblet. The first thing I did was use a 3mm corner rounder on it and it feels so much better without those sharp corners that can separate....

I am at the very beginning of my TdM exploration and have been using the CBD. Many of the books like JDM, etc, use the Noblet line drawing illustrations in their books and I wanted to see the colors.

Bluefeet

I have no idea.

This is my one and only Noblet. The first thing I did was use a 3mm corner rounder on it and it feels so much better without those sharp corners that can separate....

I am at the very beginning of my TdM exploration and have been using the CBD. Many of the books like JDM, etc, use the Noblet line drawing illustrations in their books and I wanted to see the colors.

Well, thank you Pam for sharing your impressions about the 2014 Noblet! At least we can tell from your observations that the new edition preserved the squared corners of the first edition, which gives readers a choice between rounding or keeping them.

Good luck on your TdM journey! :)

Pam O

Well, thank you Pam for sharing your impressions about the 2014 Noblet! At least we can tell from your observations that the new edition preserved the squared corners of the first edition, which gives readers a choice between rounding or keeping them.

Good luck on your TdM journey! :)

:D
Thanks!

Here is a scan of the card attached to the cellophane, plus one card with the corners rounded at 3mm.
(Some day I hope to find a 2mm rounder. :) )

Attachments

• Noblet 2014 edition cellophane card and corner trim at 3mm.jpg
    Noblet 2014 edition cellophane card and corner trim at 3mm.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 347

Rose Lalonde

:D
Thanks!

Here is a scan of the card attached to the cellophane, plus one card with the corners rounded at 3mm.
(Some day I hope to find a 2mm rounder. :) )

Thanks, PamO! It looks the same to me as the Noblet I have. I wonder if you could scan the back if you have time? I'm just curious, because I remember reading that the size of the back design came out larger than the original Noblet in the first printing, and I wonder if that was changed for the 2014. No worries if it's too much trouble.

Is the 2014 edition 98 x 61 mm? Thanks.

(Like you, I'd love to find a 2 mm corner rounder. Mine was rounded with 3mm as well.)

DeToX

I heard from the publisher that the 2014 would have slightly different colour tones compared with the 2007 edition. I presume someone here has both editions and can comment. I think I will buy the 2014 as I've procrastinated long enough.