please join us in the new deck "Tarot of Innocence"

firemaiden

His face looks evil and scary, even insane. (I'm freaked out by insanity).

rwcarter

I LOVE the Chariot! I love how many layers there are in these cards. Hats off to shadowdancer for conceiving them and Ravenswing for bringing them to life. :thumbsup:

Rodney

Jewel

rwcarter said:
I LOVE the Chariot! I love how many layers there are in these cards. Hats off to shadowdancer for conceiving them and Ravenswing for bringing them to life. :thumbsup:
Ditto! Can we see the Wheel in Color next????? ~giggles~

See what you started by posting the colored version of the first card we ooooooohhhhhhheeeeed and aaaaaawwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeed about *LOL*.

Now I have a question about the Chariot. Obviously it is the Magician that is about to win this race in his #1 car and his bunny, but with the Chariot being card #7 and the #7 car obviously loosing .... is it because you need the will and determination of the Magician to guide the chariot effectively? I am just curious, not criticizing :D

shadowdancer

Hi Jewel :)

Well, I think that is a sort of question you could pose and answer for yourself. (If that makes sense?) The answer may vary depending on the question being answered, spread position etc. In other words, you have just done what I am also doing in our book - raising a question to ponder. I would be interested to read your take on it and learn what may be going through your mind as to what you see. :)

But... here is my take on it as it appears on its own :)

I am a huge formula 1 fan, and to win a race it is a combination of driving abililty, belief and focus, and having the car set up beautifully under you. I think the lead driver has all 3 going for him.

Compare this to the chariot which has gone off the path. Does he look as though he has the same belief, focus and determination? Does he have the ability to steer the car when it wanted to go in a different direction? Did he have the car set up in a way it would increase his chance of success?

If we look at the general meaning of the chariot and how it is often portrayed, the driver is able to control the horses even if they are wanting to go in opposite directions. Alas, in our card our charioteer didn't or couldn't do that. I wonder which applies out of those two - the DIDN'T or COULDN'T?

Davina

Jewel

Actually, what I saw was both the upright and reverse meanings of the Chariot in the card. The card being driven by the Magician being that of perfection (an association to the #7), and the combination of skill, determination, and will. As for card #7, that corresponds to the reversed meaning, when the charioteer looses control because something in the success formula is missing. Which also corresponds to the negative aspects of the number 7, just as things can go perfect they can go horribly wrong.

The bystanders are one cheering and motivating the charioteer, the other ... well is simply afraid to see the outcome.

shadowdancer

well done :)

You are seeing the layers, reversed meaning and some great key words for it.

Davina

Jewel

shadowdancer said:
well done :)

You are seeing the layers, reversed meaning and some great key words for it.

Davina
YAY! does that mean I win a signed print of the Chariot????? *ROFLMAO*

Ravenswing

more stuff...

Hi guys--

(Hey Jewel-- We'll see about the print :) It's nice to see someone picking up on things)

We've got the Magician there in front. He'll pop up in other trumps. He's always in red and white-- my tribute to the RWS. He's got a little red and white scarf in the Chariot.

The driver of car 7 and the fairy hiding his eyes are a pair that also run through the trumps. They've built up some bad karma somehow--we'll see them paying it off.

Then there's that guy peering around the curtain in the Magician. He'll be around too...

I'm sorry, but at the moment I'm driving full force to complete the layouts. I'm over half way :) If I keep up pace I'll have a full deck by the end of April. Some fine tuning and then I go to color. The High Priestess is up first--she's the one that brought me and Davina together. I'm partial to the Wheel myself; it's a good bet for second.

The sword and wand pips are finished; each with their own story. Davina asked me to post a few of the wands. I'm leaving them without explanation; that's Davina's realm. So here are the 2, 7, and 8 of wands. Oh yeah--I know how it looks since I'm the one who did it; my avatar is the Ace of Wands and it's to small to really see so I'm sticking it up too...

enjoy
raven

Attachments

• ace of wands.JPG
    ace of wands.JPG
    53.8 KB · Views: 142
  • 02ofWands.JPG
    02ofWands.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 07ofWands.JPG
    07ofWands.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 138
  • 08ofWands.JPG
    08ofWands.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 131

Jewel

The Ace of Wands made me immediately think of the Elcrys tree in from the Shannara books by Terry Brooks *LOL*. It is the heart and spirit and protects the land from the evil darkness. That just seems so appropriate for the Ace of Wands.

I thought the depiction on the 2 of Wands was very interesting. You have the two kids in the back, the duality of number two, and you have the single lone student which is half of two, and how incomplete one is when located on card two. Someone who is not really alone isolating themselves and feeling alone though they aren't. The teacher representing the inspiration of the suit of wands.

The 8 of Wands really made me think about migration. With the birds, dolphins, and everything headed off to the new destination. There is also that sense of now and urgency, which I also associate with this card. Flying above the sea can also indicate to really know the distance you need to go and pick your pace, slow down so you don't burn yourself out half way to your goal.

I love that these cards have the reverse meanings built right into them so you do not actually have to use traditional reversals (turn cards around in your deck then shuffle). OK so when is the deck being published, I can definetly see myself using this as a reading deck. The imagery just flows so well.

ETA - forgot about the 7 of Wands. What I love about this card is that it shows 7 wolves. A pack. But it shows them very much like our society is, you have the dog eat dog aspects, the "I am not getting involved" aspect, and other behaviors we see and sometimes participate in every day. Then you have the guy just watching with his wand in case they come his way (again like with the chariot he has his wand in case things go horribly wrong). I also like the other little critter there *LOL*.

I am very responsive to color when I read so if I am seeing all this when these cards are in sketch form, I cannot wait to see them all in color!

shadowdancer

bless you Jewel, you are really picking up a lot already. When you see the coloured versions, I really hope they continue to resonate even more for you.

So.... let's take a look. The 2 of wands once again has layers, and possible reversed meanings. In a nutshell, I see this as depicting those times we lack confidence or question ourselves or our own abilities. Remember, we have only just started this journey and in the early stages may wonder if we have it in us to see it through. Our little elf with the large book is that character. His shoulders and expression say it all. Yet we have one who has a calm self confident air about them, and another who is rather over confident. (I think we all had one like that in our class at school. Amazed they never gave themselves a hernia when jumping around with arms waved like that...lol). How ironic the young elf who is the central character is having to sit next to this hyper-excited elf. That can only add to your despair for sure. Each time they leap out of their seat, you will sink a little deeper into your own.

So, what does the book indicate? Well, it is rather large and looks heavy going. Is that something that is adding to their despondancy? Or is it something that could help them by way of additional study, thus gradually increasing their sense of self belief? Just because the others are not using a support by way of a book, does this mean our young elf has to follow suit?

I know this card is often linked with being at a crossroads, or not knowing which path to take. This could apply to this young elf. He could on one hand just give up and accept he is not going to graduate. That would be one path for sure. Or, he could dig deep and realise he is more capable than he first thought. With that spark he would have time to come through, and thus open up another path of opportunity. He in that respect, at a crossroads within his own mind right now, and what he decides to do will have an impact on his future. How often do we tell youngsters this when it comes to exam time eh? "you only get the one opportunity, don't waste it, what you do now will dictate the rest of your life etc, etc...."

The 7 is a real favourite of mine.
We have indications of a battle, struggle or spat for sure. Instead of just seeing 7 wands battering against each other we see the menace of the wolves, but as Jewel said there is a lot going on peripherally. One is menacing another by baring teeth. Is it all show, or can they back that up? Either way it is working at the moment, as one is looking submissive - for now. We have one on the other path watching in as an insider. Have they instigated this then took a step back, or are they genuinely not wanting to be involved?
What about the main three though. Is it possible there was a disagreement between two, and a 3rd went wading in on something that had not involved them?
Look at that wee rabbit. He is desperately trying to flatten himself behind the rock and literally keep his head down. He is a prey animal and knows it is not going to go well for him if the wolves spot him. And we have our young elf. (He is in the 2 and runs through the whole suit. If you want to know the whole story, alas you may have to wait until/if/when it is published...lol)
He needs to continue down that path but for now his way is blocked. What does he do about it? Or as Jewel has said, is he ready to defend himself should the pack head his way?
For now he is totally mesmerised and caught up as an observer.

So again, we hope we have depicted angles for this card. Not everyone is directly involved in such tensions, yet often the 7 of this suit does not reflect the indirect involvement or even the cause. We hope we have added that sense of depth to this, so in a reading any one of the characters can be associated with, thus adding a new take and perhaps giving a more accurate reflection of their role.

The 8 is just beautiful. THis will knock your socks off when coloured, as it will also have a sun. (setting or rising - for you to decide when you see the card - either may be applicable depending on the context of the reading), and will cast a beautiful glow on the undersides of the swans. I think Jewel has summed it up perfectly :)

And also, it is a throw back to the ace. That ace is powerful. We have the fire burning within the heart, and that will be a reflection of the driving force each and everyone of us has the potential for.

Well, there you have it. 3 of the wands. :) We will not look to show more than 3 from any of the pips.

Davina