So Many Marseille Decks But No Books

tarot heart

My understanding is that the book is based on the course. It is an impressive piece of scholarship!

Unfortunately, it is rather expensive..:(

Wendywu

I took jmd's course too, but had no idea he had a book! Is the book based off of his course or is it vastly different?

It's very much based on the course, he says. One chapter per lesson, with exercises to do at the end of each. I love the fact it doesn't tell me what the cards mean; it makes me learn to look at them and discern my own meanings!

Unfortunately, it is rather expensive..:(

If you get the ebook from Lulu it's not bad at all. The fact it's DRM'd to the Adobe Digital format is unfortunate, but liveable with. As a paper book it's beyond my means utterly, but the download was fine :)

I haven't got the book yet - it is a novel, but contains an appendix involving the Marseilles Tarot. I think it might be of interest to anyone seeking books on the Marseilles deck. It looks a good read.

Patrick

Ah - this one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanctuary-G...4479/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359617137&sr=8-1

I bought it a couple of days ago in Kindle format. I'm still on the book part as opposed to the lengthy (and really interesting looking) appendix.

tarot heart

What is Scion's website Wendywu?

Wendywu

Tarot Heart - I think I got that totally wrong - it is Paul Nagy that recommends it so wholeheartedly. I do apologise!!

Sulis

It's very much based on the course, he says. One chapter per lesson, with exercises to do at the end of each. I love the fact it doesn't tell me what the cards mean; it makes me learn to look at them and discern my own meanings!

I think that the whole point of reading with a TdM is that there are no set meanings for the cards. I think TdM newcomers often seem to want a book that tells them what the Minors mean, just as books for the RWS deck do but that's the beauty of the Marseilles tarots - there are no meanings, those Minors can mean whatever they mean at that time.

I have JMDs book on my Kindle but the formatting is so bad that I'm waiting till I get a new phone next week and can read it properly in PDF form.

tarot heart

Tarot Heart - I think I got that totally wrong - it is Paul Nagy that recommends it so wholeheartedly. I do apologise!!

Umm...who is Paul Nagy?

Wendywu

He did an excellent review of Enrique Enriquez' Tarology and works/teaches using Enrique's ideas, and since I very much like Enrique's approach to TdM I thought that any book Paul Nagy thought well of was probably well worth my taking a look :)

Bertrand

I think that the whole point of reading with a TdM is that there are no set meanings for the cards. I think TdM newcomers often seem to want a book that tells them what the Minors mean, just as books for the RWS deck do but that's the beauty of the Marseilles tarots - there are no meanings, those Minors can mean whatever they mean at that time.
Hello,

Although I do agree on the reality that the TdM cards have no cartomantic meanings per se, there is indeed several traditions of meanings associated with each cards - young traditions but most of them older than the RWS meanings. Apart from Etteilla (and his followers such as "Tylbus" or "Madame Zezina")'s "mumbo jumbo", many books have associated all the numeral and court cards with meanings, to name a few authors from the early XXth century : Bourgeat, Méry, Marteau, etc... and you can find some more in the XIXth century.

Several modern French authors (of various qualities) also give interpration for the whole deck including the numeral and court cards : Jean-Marie Lhôte (in Dusserre's Dodal LWB), Corinne Morel, Alain Brethe, Claude Darche, etc...

What is certain is that those associations were listed (invented ?) long after the cards were created.

As Anubis pointed out in the beginning of this thread
no books in english seem to follow these decks

At some point, I believe (as in "personal belief") that any reader is influenced by the existing "meanings" associated to the cards, that is why I personally prefer to read with decks that no author have critten about from a cartomantic point of view - by cartomancy I mean "psychic reading", "fortune telling", "sooth saying", "tarology", or whatever people do ... with cards, as there's a tendancy (in the French speaking world at least) that opposes "tarologie" ("scientific" cartomancy, psychology, etc...) to the use of tarot for "voyance" (fortune telling, clairvoyance, ESP, etc...), which to me is a single activity (doing stuffs with the tarot cards taking in account an invisible part of things, to broadly summarize).

Bertrand