What does a Wreath represent?

Corvinus

I hang one on my door throughout yule and don't know why..lol
Now its in my Tarot Cards,
Any ideas?

AJ

Hi Corvenus, welcome to AT!

like the infinity symbol on the two of coins, it is never ending, symbolic of the love of God for mankind if you will. Wreath shape is also very common in funeral wreaths, with the same idea, of unending love for the lost person.

You are behind the times though, there are wreaths for every season and holdiay now...get with it buddy :)

Now that I typed all that, I'll bet you are thinking of the one on the world card?

Corvinus

Thanks AJ. That makes sense.
And yes I am behind the times. Cheers

Lillie

At Christmas I sometimes go down the garden and get some holly that I make into a wreath to hang on the front door.

I thought it was an old tradition about bringing the ever green leaves in as a symbol of the cyclic nature of the seasons. As then Christmas/Winter Solstice is the darkest part of the year I was of the understanding that it was a sort of affirmation that the earth will renew itself and things will grow again in spring.

Also I thought it was lucky to do that, especially if the holly has berries on it.

Corvinus

Thanks, theres wreaths on so many cards, just wondered why.

Ashtaroot

It is the symbol of the never ending cycle of life
Death and rebirth
Ouroboros

Rosanne

On 6 Wands, victory, on the World I would imagine Glory.
In the 7 Cups worldly success as Wreath of Victory, but not Victory over death(See skull).

The Wreath on your door is supposed to be Evergreen- The Winter Solstice- and brings the New Year and a fresh beginning.

~Rosanne

Rosanne

I do not think the wreath is a symbol of God's never- ending love or everlasting love.
A ring is a symbol of everlasting love as in a wedding band/ring.
A cross within a circle might be also.
The History of the wreath predates Christianity and you will see that the wreath at funerals comes from a Maiden's Garland, which were carried at Virgins funerals. Lillie had it right about the Christmas or Yule wreath.
The 4 Wands has a festoon with Ivy- which means happy memories.

The use of garlands, wreaths and festoons dates back to ancient Greek times and it was adopted into the Christian religion as a symbol of the victory of the redemption. Ancient symbol of victory, memory, passed to eternal life.

What AJ was talking about was an Advent wreath- which is a crown- a garland with candles- and does not appear in Tarot. The name wreath is a misnomer- it is a crown.

Sorry to be pedantic. I know people feel they see what they see in Tarot- but as it is built on symbols- I think it fairly important to get those symbols right.

~Rosanne