Hallowquest Arthurian Tarot - Lesson 32 - Gawain

PathWalker

This lesson concentrate on the major card Gawain VIII

There's a brief discussion of his role in the legends, and in the pack itself.

Then a meditation where we are asked to stand in his place for a night's watch, and finishing with a six card reading, called "Gawain's Shield"

PathWalker

PathWalker

Lesson 32 - meditation (not) - PathWalker

Anyone who has read many of my posts about this Quest will know I struggle with the meditations. I really have to be motivated, and alone in the house for several hours, to sit down and allow myself to do this. Neither of these things has been happening lately.

So I finally decided to spend some respectful, thoughtful time writing about the tasks, rather than do nothing and make no progress.

The writing accompanying the lesson encourages me to see Gawain in a more positive light than the later portrayals of him. (I've been doing a lot of reading.) So I see him as a person of integrity, a Champion of the Goddess and the defender of the land in his time. Gawain is my companion of the Grail Quest, and this meditation is by way of a test of character, a self-learning exercise. I must take his place at the pass, defending the gap through the night, not leaving my place. But I will have situations to respond to, within those constraints.

So, as the light begins to fail in the evening, a woman with a child in her arms approaches seeking protection...
I cannot leave my post. But I find a nearby spot, close to the watch fire, and comfortable. I tell her they may remain there in safety for the night.

As night falls and the dew rises a poor and homeless woman approaches for alms. [Definition = clothing food or money that is given to poor people] I have only enough for myself, and cannot leave to forage until dawn.
I share what I have with her, for she is hungry and cold. I invite her to share the fire's warmth, and what covering I have to spare, until the morning.]/i]

At darkest midnight, and old woman approaches asking to be ferried across the river. She is anxious, crotchety and sharp with me, but she is not an enemy.
Now at this point the meditation says I should treat her with kindness and courtesy - and ferry her across. But I'm under the impression that I'm supposed to stay at my post!
I thought that I would suggest she stayed the night by the fire for the night, and that I would assist her across in the morning. But she would not stay but must cross now. I help her cross, appreciating that time may be flying for her differently for her.

As the sky lightens a sick woman approaches. She has some contagious condition and must carry a bell to warn others. She is lonely and friendless.
The sick woman approaches. I speak to her; offer her a place to sit and be comfortable. I ask her about herself, her journey. I listen without judgment.

As the sky reddens at dawn an angry woman strides up. She has been involved in some argument and is still ready to strike out.
I try to listen with compassion. I try to understand, to commiserate, to support her whilst the internal storm rages, to offer comfort and maybe a word of wisdom.

Now the mediation leads you to consider how you have (or not) represented the five duties of strength - protection, generosity, courtesy, compassion and self-discipline. You are given a shield with a pentacle, each point representing one of these qualities. This is your protection on the Grail Quest.

Certainly for me, even just thinking, this highlights some areas where I might find it harder to express these qualities. I'd also never considered the "qualities of strength" in this way.

PathWalker

PathWalker

Gawain's Shield reading

This is a six card reading. The female majors are taken out, and the first five cards of the reading drawn from the main pack. The sixth card is drawn from those female major cards. The layout shape is a pentacle, with the sixth card paced in the centre.

1. Represents the nature of my service - Sword Maiden
2. Represents my generosity - Stone Two
3. Represents your courtesy - Spiral Tower
4. Represents my compassion - Stone King
5. Represents self-discipline - Grail hallow
6. The aspect of the Goddess who oversees my Grail Quest, and denotes the quality of my commitment to it - Sovereignty