If you were a professional reader and I asked you.......

LabyrinthOfDreams

I'm considering going to check out a "professional" reader down the road from my job. Being that I have experienced two negative readings from con artist in the past I've complied a list of questions that I expect answered before I make an appointment with this person.

How did you come into this profession?

Why do you read for other people?

Do you believe that you can solve other peoples problems via "spell work"?

What type of deck will you use and or will I have the option to choose my own deck?

Are you comfortable with the fact that I do read for myself and I am aware of the "book meaning" behind each card?

How do you think that the tarot works?

Do you use reversals?

Do you allow any particular religious beliefs to influence your readings?

Do you believe that the cards themselves hold any kind of "power"?

Have you studied psychology (Such as Jung) and do you apply that to your interpretations of the cards?

Do you believe yourself to be psychic? If so, explain to me how that will come into play during my reading.

Are you comfortable with my active participation during the reading?

Are you put on the defensive by sitters who have a prior understanding of the tarot?

What type of spread will you be using for my reading if any are used at all and why?

Do I sound like the Spanish Inquisition here? I'm just a tad bit over the bullshit and I'd like the reader to know that I'm SERIOUS about her claims to be serious. Think I'll offend?

Apollonia

I love it when prospective querents ask thoughtful questions--it makes me feel that they respect the process and understand what is involved in giving a good reading. I wouldn't be offended by any of the questions you list. However, if I were asked this one:
LabyrinthOfDreams said:
I would have to ask you, in turn, what constitutes "active participation." If it includes comments, requests for clarification of what I have said, and additional questions, fine, no problem. If it consists of the querent giving their own differing interpretation of a card, I would ask that this type of comment be held until the end of the reading, so as to maintain the flow of the reading I am doing.

And I would suggest a rewording of this one:
LabyrinthOfDreams said:
Are you put on the defensive by sitters who have a prior understanding of the tarot?

Only because I think it can sometimes put a person on the defensive, who wasn't there to begin with, to be asked if they are put on the defensive about something, if you see what I mean. I might change it to read, "Does it bother you to read for..." I dont know why, but that sounds better to my ear. (Although I have to say that, at least in my area, most readers with more than just a couple months' experience have read for a lot of people who know the Tarot, from newbies to fellow pros.)

All in all, I think that if you receive a defensive attitude to your questions (or, heaven forbid, an arrogant attitude of, "How dare you question me?") you will know that you haven't found a good reader. The real deals are generally very open to questions of all sorts.

Cerulean

Does the narrowing to nine or so questions help...

I think it might take five or ten minutes to answer these questions...incidently, I think they'd make a great topic for discussion in terms of people who read tarot here! Can we post the original list of questions in a separate thread and answer them?

Below, I thought I might edit the list and maybe it would be more manageable. You could ask if you could have five minutes to talk to the reader about your concerns before the reading...before you proceed. Or if you get e-mail readings, you might be able to introduce your concerns in a preliminary e-mail.

I think some readers will charge by the 'session time' and the original list of questions might take 15 minutes to answer...it's not fun to have to pay the reader for the time before you even get a reading!

Would the following work for your questions...

How did you come into this profession?

Why do you read for others?

Do you believe that you can solve other peoples problems via "spell work"?

What deck will you use and or will I have the option to choose my own deck?

Are you comfortable that I read for myself?

Will you apply psychology or psychic techniques to my reading? Please explain.

Do you use reversals? What spread will you use and why?

Do you allow any particular religious beliefs to influence your readings?

Best wishes,

Cerulean

P.S. Sorry to hear you received bad experiences or were scammed...

Mellifluous

I do think it's over the top and a somewhat adversarial approach. More appropriate for a high-paid professional who's going to have your life in their hands, not a tarot reader. (Also, I think some of the questions are too broad and philosophical to be answered. They're really discussion topics, from my perspective. Others are too nitpicky. Why does it matter if they use reversals?)

Depends on their personality whether they would be offended or want to take the time to reassure someone who's obviously distrustful (and probably skeptical) of professional tarot readers. A real con artist probably wouldn't give you honest answers anyway, would they?

If you don't trust readers after your bad experiences - or only want someone who reads the way you want them to read, down to the last detail - why make an appointment? Why not read your own cards and save your money? (That's what I do.) You could also get a reading here through an exchange or something, I'm sure.

Good luck though.

Hooked on TdM

I just quoted some of the questions I think are a bit problematic so I can explain why. (please note I do not read pro)

LabyrinthOfDreams said:
Are you comfortable with the fact that I do read for myself and I am aware of the "book meaning" behind each card?

Really this is two questions in one. I think the first part is fine, the second one not so much. Many people use different systems, different type cards, intuitive meanings, etc.. Your book meaning could be absolutely meaningless if it's not from the same deck, and that person doesn't use this particular system. If you are looking for someone who reads exactly what and how you do, you might be better off just reading for yourself.

LabyrinthOfDreams said:
How do you think that the tarot works?

This to me would be problematic, in that it's a philosophical question. I could spend an hour trying to explain this.. Perhaps ask them if they have a Code of Ethics and could you see it instead?

LabyrinthOfDreams said:
Do you use reversals?

Again this poses the same problem as you knowing book meanings. Reversals are so individual and someone could read entirely without them, or have degrees of it, read with ED's, or like me have dual meanings in each card to begin with... I think a better rephrasing would be asking them what style or system they use to read with to give you a better idea of how they read.

LabyrinthOfDreams said:
Have you studied psychology (Such as Jung) and do you apply that to your interpretations of the cards?

This is the same as above and is also somewhat philosophical.

LabyrinthOfDreams said:

I agree with others this really needs to be defined. M said it perfectly.

LabyrinthOfDreams said:

Instead of asking why not just let them know that you read tarot and gauge their reaction from that. It's better then getting their backs up before you even begin.

LabyrinthOfDreams said:
What type of spread will you be using for my reading if any are used at all and why?

This completely depends on what questions you ask, what subject it is.. etc... Some people use one size fits all, some don't, some don't use them, some just do what feels right. Again this is so individual.

I'm really curious as to the why's behind these particular questions.. are there different ways of reading that you don't agree with or think is invalid? Or are you just trying to find a reader that has a method you are more familiar with?

Hooked

M-Tarot-M

If you have not already considered this it would be best to do your research separately. Then once you are comfortable with someone set up an appointment for a reading so the meeting is with a fresh state of mind. These are questions indicative of someone that could be unreceptive and difficult to read. Unless you approach this casually, this level of scrutiny just doesn't set the stage for a decent reading.

Usually people list their specialty or provide a brief breakdown of what they utilize if it is something more than just tarot. I have found that people listing psychic abilities with their tarot reading are better. I do not care about numerology and astrology because that can be figured out by anyone. Psychic ability and tarot support each other. You can also book the least amount of time and test the waters. Then if you think they have more to offer you can go back for another appointment. Tarot readers don't typically charge that much. 15 minutes is worth the education even when you get ripped off. I think there are more people doing readings that really should not be because they are not very good at it than there are con artists doing readings. Either that or I am good at avoiding con artists because I somehow do not select them, consciously or not. I've had two readers pitch the extended prayer session for an additional $500 however both of these people had already given me very good psychic readings with valid and verifiable information. They were just digging for bonus money.

BusyBee

Personally, I would shy away from asking a reader questions about how exactly they read. Each person will read differently. It's also way past the scope of a phone conversation.

You might try something like saying:
"I do read Tarot myself, and if your open to discussion after your reading,
That would be great."
Their response should give you a general idea as to how open they are about discussions regarding their reading styles, methods, and such.

The one about letting religion influence the reading IS important, though.
You might try the following:
"I've been to a few readers before who really let their religious and personal views become an obstacle. It really made me uncomfortable. I am looking for insight so I can work on things myself, and not spell-work or anything."
Just mentioning this will let them know where your boundaries are. Even if hey are the pressuring type, this lets them know up front that you are no-nonsense.

Gavriela

M-Tarot-M said:
I do not care about numerology and astrology because that can be figured out by anyone.

Then I must be very silly, because I studied astrology for over 10 years before I went pro with it. You cannot grasp the fine points of natal interpretation by looking it up in a book - the chart has to be blended and weighted - and explained in plain language to the client - and that takes both skill and time. A real astrologer will give you a far better reading than a computer will. And that's just natal. Then there's progressions, transits, returns, locational astrology, synastry, composite charts, Gaquelin sectors, midpoints, horary and medical astrology, and many others, not to mention all the different astrological systems - it takes years of work to become competent, and competent means knowing at least half-a-dozen fields of astrology well enough to practise them professionally.

Numerology gets pretty trippy, too, and there are any number of different systems and influences at play there, as well.

It's kind of like saying anyone can read tarot, or anyone can do magic. There are lots of bad tarot readers and abysmal magicians out there who've never studied or honed their craft, but do you really encourage them to hang out a shingle because 'anyone can do it'?

If 'anyone' could be a competent metaphysical practitioner of any stripe, then there would be no need to ever consult one. Yet - people do it all the time - for whatever reason.

All forms of divination/magic are part art and part hard work, skill, and knowledge. Not everybody has the gift for it, or the inclination to pursue it even if they do have a gift for it.

214red

to be honest i think if i was faced with all of those questions i wouldnt want to read for you as i would worry you would never be satisfied with the result and would be slightly offended.

I agree with many of the others , pick the least amount of time, explain you read tarot yourself , and also discuss any religious preferences then too (nothing worst for me then having a reading and a lecture too).

When you say your a tarot reader she likely will know your interested and go through things with you in a more educational way.

one thing that is good for you as a tarot reader is to take a photo of the spread, if your recording the reading it helps you learn.

good luck, but 15 mins with someone should be enough to convince you of the persons talent, trust your intuition about that person.

Nik

Alta

I agree with other posters who mentioned that such questions at the start of a reading would set up an adversarial atmosphere to the detriment of the reading.

I like M_Tarot_M's comment to book the least amount of time possible and see for yourself if you cannot find someone to give a recommendation.

Maybe have a checklist of red flags in your head. But honestly the biggest red flag is if the reader asks for more money in some devious way. Like curse-lifting or other nonsense.

And you can't find out if they are just a poor reader (but not necessarily a con artist) any way but listening to them read.

Alta