Housewives Tarot : Hierophant

FallynRaiyn

I think so much of what we do and think we compare to other people.....to see how far off "normal" we are..... tv tells us what is normal and what isn't. talk shows especially do this. they may "celebrate" diversity....but the diversity they celebrate is never commonly accepted diversity....it's always "this person is on the edge of cultural acceptance, let's scrutinize them with a microscope" I have a slight phobia of getting my 15 seconds of fame at some point and being scrutinized this way. The TV makes total sense as a heirophant. You could even substitute the internet for TV.

Nemia

I'd like to add to the discussion that today, we're much more eclectic and more cynical and dismissive about TV than in the 50s or 60s. Then, there were fewer channels, TV anchors were seen as figures of authority, and the whole culture of questioning authority, of media analysis, was not yet born. People tended to believe what the media told them. We know today how many channels and filters are between reality and its medial presentation, but still, we tend to believe. Albeit less so than earlier generations.

Early TV had not yet decided that it was an entertainment machine. It wanted to enlighten, explain, educate. Many channels offered distant learning programs etc. You can still see TV channels with that heritage of documentaries, historical, culture channels.

In the 50s, there was no way to foresee TV as we know it now.

So I'm a bit more careful with comparisons.

Again, when I continue my interpretation of the deck as "the Fool's journey to housewifely perfection", we have here the influence of TV as authoritarian voice, even in advertisements: telling the housewife how to remove stains, how to clean her sofa. And she's not supposed to question it but accept it and put it into practice in her life.

Yes, as you said above: learning, listening to authority, getting a crystal sharp picture of Right Way to Clean Windows or Wrong Way to Clean Windows.

Another step on the way to perfection - with the adjacent shadow side of uncritical conformism.