Falcon Head

BodhiSeed

Does anyone know what the falcon head on the Fool's satchel represents? Robert Place, in his book "The Tarot: History, Symbolism and Divination" mentions the Egyptian God Horus, but doesn't give any other details.

Bodhran

Fulgour

great topic

I've always associated it with an eagle...

Attachments

• Fool's Satchel - Birds of a Feather....jpg
    Fool's Satchel - Birds of a Feather....jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 263

BodhiSeed

Thanks for posting the picture Fulgour. If the falcon head (if it IS a falcon and not an eagle!) is seen as Horus, perhaps it symbolizes protection or regeneration. If it is just a falcon, maybe it represents a hunter/seeker or clarity (because of its ability to fly above the earth). Any thoughts from anyone else?

Bodhran

Horace

falcon head

I have always thought it to be a falcon. Symbolyzing the lack of self-control the Fool possesses. He hasn't learned to control his impulses yet, so maybe he's using the 'future hood' for a pouch. A hooded falcon is how it is kept under command... Hh

Fulgour

The Tumbler

The Magician is Le Bateleur in the Marseille and
in my Encyclopaedia Britannica under "Bateleur"
there is a reference to an African Hawk, named
for its unique tumbling dive...perhaps a clue? ;)

BodhiSeed

Horace, if you're right about the hood, perhaps there is a tie-in with the Nine of Pentacles card where there is a hooded falcon (and often a reference to the woman having her thoughts/instincts under control). If this is the case, it is interesting that the head is on the bag, which is where his future "tools" to help him on his spiritual journey are hidden.
Fulgour, thanks for sharing the information about Le Bateleur and the hawk. Having seen many hawks in my neck of the woods drop like a stone from the sky (going after some lunch), it does indeed make me think of the "dive" the Fool is about to make from the cliff!

Bodhran

Abrac

In the Pictorial Key, Waite says "a wallet curiously embroidered." This tells us the satchel is supposed to be a wallet. The wallet is associated with Hermes, messenger of the Gods. It is difficult to make out exactly what type of bird this is, but I believe it must be an Eagle or Hawk, both being swift and high-flying, which would reinforce the Hermes symbolism.

BodhiSeed

Thanks Abrac for the quote from Waite. I wonder why he called it a wallet when it doesn't look like one? Or perhaps the language was just different then? Too bad Pamela Coleman Smith didn't write a book about the symbolism in the pictures she created...

Bodhran

Abrac

bodhran said:
I wonder why he called it a wallet when it doesn't look like one? Or perhaps the language was just different then?
Yes, it looks more like what we would call a purse. The term *wallet* was origianlly used to describe a traveller's bag which would have held money possibly, along with other items.

Waite does use a lot of archaic terminology which makes reading him very frustrating if you aren't familiar with it (like me).:)

ozzimo

Fulgour said:
The Magician is Le Bateleur in the Marseille and
in my Encyclopaedia Britannica under "Bateleur"
there is a reference to an African Hawk, named
for its unique tumbling dive...perhaps a clue? ;)
i wonder if its the spirits descent into matter..