The Right Definition of Cusp in Astrology

tabi

I was reading another thread on here and they described that both parties are on the Cusp of their Zodiac sign. I'll be the first one to admitt that Astrology isn't my strong suit, and I only probably know enough to get me into trouble. However I'm wondering if most people have the wrong idea as to what Cusp are. Or if I'm the one with the wrong idea.

For me Cusp are a very short period of time of two-threes around the time of the Zodiac changes from one sign to the next. Generally around 19-21 of that month depending upon when the Sun moves from Zodiac A to Zodiac B. I don't think that anything past those days are considered the Cusp.

So am I just :confused:?!?!

Minderwiz

Yes you've got the right idea. Strictly speaking the cusp is the point where one sign gives way to another, the 0 degrees mark. However the history of horoscopic Astrology is full of some Astrologers arguing that there is some leeway either side whilst others argue that, say Libra is Libra right up to 29 degrees 59 minutes 59 seconds and Scorpio statrs at 0 degrees Scorpio.

I don't think that discussion will ever be resolved but personally, I thing that a 1 degree orb before the sign change is a reasonable allowance for a cusp. So anyone born in the last 24 hours of Libra may have some Scorpio influence. As someone born at 29 degress 45 minutes of Libra this seems to fit.

For House cusps the discussion is even more intense. There's evidence that Classical Astrologers used a point 5 degrees before the calculated house cusp as the point where the houses changed (bear in mind that houses are on average 2 hours of time, so we're talking about 20 minutes of time for such an orb). Other orbs have also been advanced. Again it comes down to what seems to work for your method.