The Kabbalah Cards AGM Muller

Nemia

Hm, and the Hanged Man with a tzaddi, hanging from a hook... for me, the association with mem is much more convincing because of the connection to water. But that's just my Thoth conditioning.

I don't know whether it would be hard to work with a deck that has a totally different system; a book would help.

I confess though that I'm not a huge fan of Gainsford's art and can't warm to her decks. That's a matter of personal taste though, many people love it.

Looking at the card again - I think it would make me crazy that Tiferet and Yesod are drawn next to each other. They draw all paths next to each other.

I found all the cards on Pinterest and I'm not knowledgeable enough to recognize which system they follow, but it's not Thoth. And I have found Thoth very intuitive and "it feels just right". For me.

Zephyros

I wonder, has anyone done readings with a strictly Kabbalistic deck? From what I see most decks of this type contain something in the neighborhood of thirty-something cards. Would this be enough? Do you treat each card as a "four in one" as it is fleshed out in Tarot decks?

crystal dawn

Yes the author uses a different system. In the guide book it says that it seemed illogical that Alef ox is at the top of the tree and resh head was at the bottom of the tree. So he reversed them. This actually does make a lot of sense, and so do a lot of the other changes. Many authors have their own system. Such as the golden dawn and Crowleys system. The main thing is that the meanings of the sephiroth and Hebrew letters are the same. I am open to using all systems. If I was doing a reading with the Thoth tarot ,I would use Crowley system. If I then did a reading using the Kabbalah cards, I would be using Paul Rowland and Sylvia Gainsford system. As for the artwork, l personally really like it.

There are 33 cards in the deck. 22 relate to the 22 Hebrew letters. 10 to the 10 sephiroth and an additional card which is associated with the 11th mysterious sephira daath.

Blessings

Crystal

kwaw

Yes the author uses a different system. In the guide book it says that it seemed illogical that Alef ox is at the top of the tree and resh head was at the bottom of the tree. So he reversed them.

???

Don't know the deck well, but the picture of the Ox/Alef card I've seen on the web clearly has it on the path between Keter and Hockmah, same as in the English and French Hermetic traditions.

The unique attribution of the letters to the astrological signs and the the elements seems particularly at odds, seeing as these are the same in all redactions of the SY and remaining as they do generally consistent along Hermetic, Christian and Judaic Kabbalistic schools.

I like the idea of illustrating a meaning of the letters in general (some of them I don't like, the hanged man hanging from a hook I'm not keen on, in context of the rest of the cards, and most of the sephirotic cards I'm not keen on). It seems to me to be too unique and personal for a student of any particular kabbalistic school (Judaic, Christian, English of Continental Hermetic) to be of any use, and would likely only result in confusion for a beginner too.

crystal dawn

???

Don't know the deck well, but the picture of the Ox/Alef card I've seen on the web clearly has it on the path between Keter and Hockmah, same as in the English and French Hermetic traditions.

The unique attribution of the letters to the astrological signs and the the elements seems particularly at odds, seeing as these are the same in all redactions of the SY and remaining as they do generally consistent along Hermetic, Christian and Judaic Kabbalistic schools.

I like the idea of illustrating a meaning of the letters in general (some of them I don't like, the hanged man hanging from a hook I'm not keen on, in context of the rest of the cards, and most of the sephirotic cards I'm not keen on). It seems to me to be too unique and personal for a student of any particular kabbalistic school (Judaic, Christian, English of Continental Hermetic) to be of any use, and would likely only result in confusion for a beginner too.

It all makes sense to me, which is the main thing. The changes to the astrological attributions all make sense too. The changes all fit very well on the cards. I actually Love the hanged man as Tzaddi too.
You could use the deck without any knowledge of the Kabbalah as the images speak for themselves, though knowledge of the Kabbalah would certainly add more depth to readings.

Blessings

Crystal

kwaw

It all makes sense to me, which is the main thing. The changes to the astrological attributions all make sense too. The changes all fit very well on the cards. I actually Love the hanged man as Tzaddi too.
You could use the deck without any knowledge of the Kabbalah as the images speak for themselves, though knowledge of the Kabbalah would certainly add more depth to readings.

Blessings

Crystal

Well, I was wondering about what you meant by how he reverses the order of letters on the tree, when in fact he has Alef as Keter-Hokmah, so I appear to be misconstruing the sense in which you mean he reverses them.

Haven't seen his book, so no idea what sense he makes of them. I think, from what is admittedly a cursory glance, anyone with a knowledge of Kabbalah (of whatever tradition) would be left feeling 'wha..?'. But cannot judge really without reading his explanations, but on first glance why one of the seven single letters (usually associated with a planet) such as Caph, meaning the palms of the hands, or the pans of a pair of scales, should be attributed to Pisces, or one of the three mother letters, Mem, normally associated with Water (and one of the meanings of which is water) should be associated with Leo, or a letter with a meaning of Fish (Nun), should be associated with Gemini, and so on for the rest, all seems a bit bizarre (without any further explanation at least). That being said, traditional associations are all a bit arbitrary too (in whatever tradition).

crystal dawn

Well, I was wondering about what you meant by how he reverses the order of letters on the tree, when in fact he has Alef as Keter-Hokmah, so I appear to be misconstruing the sense in which you mean he reverses them.

Haven't seen his book, so no idea what sense he makes of them. I think, from what is admittedly a cursory glance, anyone with a knowledge of Kabbalah (of whatever tradition) would be left feeling 'wha..?'. But cannot judge really without reading his explanations, but on first glance why one of the seven single letters (usually associated with a planet) such as Caph, meaning the palms of the hands, or the pans of a pair of scales, should be attributed to Pisces, or one of the three mother letters, Mem, normally associated with Water (and one of the meanings of which is water) should be associated with Leo, or a letter with a meaning of Fish (Nun), should be associated with Gemini, and so on for the rest, all seems a bit bizarre (without any further explanation at least). That being said, traditional associations are all a bit arbitrary too (in whatever tradition).

He reverse's the order in his version of the tree of life of the letters alef and resh. That said the actual cards reflect what he calls the traditional order. This is only apparent when you have the book that goes with the deck. This system makes sense and resonates very strongly with me personally. Though I realise not everyone will be open to a new or different system and that's okay too. But for me it makes alot of sense?

Blessings

Crystal

Abrac

crystal, is there a picture in the book you could scan that shows the paths on the Tree? I'm really interested in how they're arranged.

crystal dawn

Using the Kabbalah cards oracle as an oracle deck for readings

Hi there
Just wondered if anyone used this deck for readings. It's called the Kabbalah cards by Sylvia Gainsford and Paul Rolland by AGM Muller. I know there is another thread about this at the moment in another part of the forum, that deals with the Kabbalah aspect, but the point of this thread is in the joy of using these beautiful cards as an oracle deck alongside the tarot or other oracle decks for readings.

Blessings

Crystal