Reactions to Deviant Moon Tarot?

3crows

Wow. I am getting such interesting reactions to the Deviant Moon Tarot deck that I recently purchased. Most people can't understand why I would use such a deck. They call it "morose, macabre, morbid, frightening" among other things.

I spent the weekend at a jamband music festival and was going to offer donation only tarot readings (couldn't afford the booth fee), and everyone cautioned me against using this deck because people at this festival would either be a) tripping on psychedelics and could not handle the illustrations without getting hurled into a bad trip, or b) people would become depressed and confused.

anyone else getting reactions like this? I absolutely adore this deck. It is so unique, and really comforting in some strange way- I want to eat the illustrations.

FatesLady

Creeps me out. :(

Manda

I find the imagery quirky, not creepy, and I like the funk. I do not find it to read dark at all, but I do find it has its' own sense of humor. People I read for tend to be insistent about this deck, either that I DO read for them with it, or that I DO NOT read for them with it. I find that interesting. I generally carry around a few decks, one of which is almost always the Deviant Moon, another is a medium Illuminated, which is about as "safe" as tarot gets.

My personal belief is that different decks entice different sides of our own personality to come out, and so for me, personally, I do not feel terribly afraid or ashamed of my "dark" or "shadow" side. I find it quirky, with a slightly sarcastic sense of humor, so it could be very well that the Deviant Moon simply reflects that for me, and since I am such an evolved individual :)P)* I find no fear in the images.

As far as people on drugs, I am not certain that they need tarot readings, at least not while under the influence, and I am not sure it is the readers responsibility to make sure they don't "trip out" if they choose to get one anyway. I wouldn't read for someone who was visibly intoxicated, personally.

It's different strokes for different folks, baby, and not everyone likes or dislikes the same thing. I'll tell you what deck really gives me the shivers - Sacred Rose! But sometimes, I need to get the creeps and be shaken up out of my comfy little spot, so I still use it.

As far as depression and confusion, I have to be very careful with my use of the Thoth, because at times it really can get to me and kinda send me into a weird spiral. I won't read with it if I am feeling a little wonky already, or premenstrual, or whatever, so I absolutely believe that images can affect people very deeply at the psychological level. I just have not seen it from my expreience with the Deviant Moon.

*These are the jokes, people..

Le Fanu

If you want scarey-creepy how about the Hanson-Roberts? Gives me the shivers...

Devaint Moon is harmless. And I'm getting the distinct impression that this deck is already a classic. It has quite a fan-base now.

LotusSong

I find the deck to be very repulsive. Not that it is ugly, but that it repels me. It does not give me the pleasant warm feeling I get when I normally look at surreal art. Looking at those cards is like being unceremoniously dumped into a bathtub full of ice. I cannot relate to the pictures; I have a hard time looking past them to find meaning. They send a dark chill down my spine. Note that this is not always a bad thing, and I'm pretty sure I enabled someone on this deck yesterday.

That said, there are two cards in the deck I like very much: Death and Ace of Pentacles. I'm not sure what it is about these two cards, but they don't scare me at all.

Taamar

Manda said:
It's different strokes for different folks, baby, and not everyone likes or dislikes the same thing. I'll tell you what deck really gives me the shivers - Sacred Rose! But sometimes, I need to get the creeps and be shaken up out of my comfy little spot, so I still use it.

It's the eyes.

hopena

I wasn't sure about the deck, when I saw the pictures online, but loved the cards when I actually had them in my hands. I thought about using it in the Primary Deck Reflections, but started to feel intimidated at the thought of working with it, what with the mood I was in (I was feeling anxious/jittery, and slipping into a more depressed frame of mind, so I decided to go with my old favourite: the DruidCraft - and the deck didn't really intimidate me that much, it was the blogging that brought about some "stage fright"). :)

I'm not keen on a few of the pictures, but other than that, it's one of those that usually reads well for me. I'd love a companion book, so I hope that US Games will make it possible.

EarthFaery

I keep passing it up every time I see it, (which is every friday when I go into Barnes and Noble Starbucks for a latte), I can't see me liking to read with it, but rest assured I will eventually buy it JUST BECAUSE :laugh:

irisa

As I posted recently in the current Deviant Moon thread...
irisa said:
I love the Deviant Moon. I don't find it creepy, dark, unsettling or any of those adjectives.

I do find it interesting, different and fun to work with I just love it :)
I would add I'm getting some amazing readings with it lately too.

Le Fanu said:
If you want scarey-creepy how about the Hanson-Roberts? Gives me the shivers...

Devaint Moon is harmless. And I'm getting the distinct impression that this deck is already a classic. It has quite a fan-base now.
Absolutely agree with you Le Fanu with just one difference it's RWS gets me shivvering :D

irisa :)

Libra8ca

First time I saw it online, I thought this is not my taste. After reading the rave reviews I decided to buy it and try it and now I love it! I love the detail that's contained in the cards and the story of how they were made! I feel like I'm looking at pictures in an old story book.
I don't think there is a deck that I would refuse to have (or do) a reading with (although it may not make a lot of sense :) , but since I don't have unlimited money I obviously only buy the ones that call out to me.

Libra8ca