Vieville deck - L'Amoureux (The Lover)

Rusty Neon

The L'Amoureux card ("The Lover", in the singular) in the 17th century, Vieville deck (photoreproduction published by Héron) has the angel in the sky, and on the ground we see three _male_ figures (and no female figures).

The man on the left hand side (of the card) has a hand on the middle man's chest, probably over the heart. In the Héron printing of the worn card (but possibly not when the original card was new back in the 17th century), it's as if an aura is emanating from the middle man's chest area.

The man on the right hand side has his arm on the middle man's shoulder.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the meaning and symbolism of the Vieville card? My off-the-cuff thought is that the Vieveille card looks like a card of initiation. Or possibly, the card stresses the spiritual aspect of love between a man and woman; Platonic love; or love of God.

Kaz

could you add a scan of the card rusty? i dont have the vieville myself.....

Rusty Neon

Sorry, I don't have a scanner.

Diana

Rusty Neon said:
The L'Amoureux card ("The Lover", in the singular) in the 17th century, Vieville deck (photoreproduction published by Héron) has the angel in the sky, and on the ground we see three _male_ figures (and no female figures).

Rusty Neon: To me the figure on the left looks like a woman. I see the figures on the left and the right of the young man (who is not wearing shoes - important detail I think which we find in more recent versions of the Marseilles as well) as the mother and the father, giving the son their blessings. A blessing of love before he leaves home.

I think the mother is touching his solar plexus, not his heart.

The angel would be his "guardian" angel. I don't know what they would have called those in the Middle Ages though, probably not "guardian angel".

If you look at the Judgement card, it is reminiscent of the Amoureux card. Two figures, a man and a woman, whose attention is also on the middle figure (also a man - but much older now - he has aged during his journey) and there is also an angel but possibly this time a more "important" angel - an archangel possibly.

Kaz: I will try and scan the picture for you tomorrow. If I have problems doing it, I will e-mail you for help.

Rusty Neon

Hi Diana ... Thanks for your wonderful thoughts on the L'Amoureux card. Given the 17th century context, I had stubbornly assumed that short hair meant the figure was male. This card is quite enigmatic, to say the least.

Rusty Neon

Alain Bocher, _Les cahiers du tarot_, volume 2, p. 172, on the Lover card of the 1760 Conver, yet it's quite à propos of the Viéville's Lover card:

The Transfiguration shows to three of the twelve Apostles (Peter, James and John) their Master in discussion with Elie and Moses in a dazzling cloud of lilght, while a powerful voice rung out:

"This is my beloved Son,
Listen to Him!"

(Mark IX:7)