The Language of the Birds

Diana

Re: The Langage of the Birds

*Moonbow: The translation is:

"Good evening Alain,

JC will reply. Alas, for the last few days he's been having a problem with his BAL.

Also, in order to reply in English, he needs his translator.

Alain, please make a post to reassure the contributors and ask them to be patient a little while longer."

(What a BAL is, I don't know.... maybe he's gone dancing or something :D . Probably something technical with his computer.)

Moonbow

Diana to the rescue............once again.......

Thankyou... glad to know I wasn't too far off with my French ... although I did miss out a fair chunk

Moonbow*

jmd

Wonderful to have yourself and Jean-Claude and his traductrice join our discussions - though from past experience, I do hope his traductrice contributes her personal wisdom and thoughts here too :)

For those who have not seen some of Jean-Claude Flornoy's works, do check out his letarot.com. His reproduction of both the Dodal and the Noblet (which he has reproduced, with minute alterations, as Major Arcana only decks) I always include in my '78 weeks' work...

firemaiden

Wow!! cool site. Thanks for the link, jmd.

full deck

Namadev said:
Thanks to those who commented the essay of Jean-Claude Flornoy.
I'm pleased to announce his coming on Aeclectic Tarot history forum soon.
He'll answer himself all your questions.
I really look forward to his participation. I always find something of interest and insight in his musings. Merci beaucoup!

- - - - - - -

Diana:

"Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words. (Calvin and Hobbes)"

That's a good sig. I would further add:

"Life's little joys are far more difficult to preserve when one only knows swear words".

Flornoy

Thank you for welcoming me to your club. I plan to catch up on your recent TdM discussions and participate as much as I can. Thanks also for the varied and thoughtful remarks concerning my text on the language of the birds. Don't worry about communicating in English, as my American-French translator is also my wife. Though I have followed this list for some time, I am happy to enter into closer and more lively contact with you all.

Best wishes, JC Flornoy

Rusty Neon

We see the Language of the Birds employed in the cathedrals.

But my question is this:

Are there any examples of the use of the Language of the Birds in the Tarot de Marseille deck?

Jean-Claude mentioned the 3 dots and the Devil card, but I didn't think he meant that as an example of the use of the Language of the Birds.

Gardener

Monsieur Flournoy,

Thank you so much for your insightful essay. I write stories, and find myself absolutely captivated by the idea of the exile community in Cilicie, between 1315 and 1375, before it was taken out by the Marmelukes. I wonder what their life was like in such exotic exile, and I'd like to set a story there. Do you have any suggestions for how I might research the place?

TemperanceAngel

Occasinally I stumble blindly into this forum, and out again....leaving no evidence of my visit :)

This time I do need to leave some evidence, what a wonderful essay, thank you! XTAX

Flornoy

You might start by looking at the general history of Armenia (Cilicie was known as Little Armenia) and visiting the site in Turkey. Their society functioned in quadripartition, which I treat more completely on my website.

http://english.letarot.com/pages/29legende.html

There are also some maps and other information. A more complete rendering of the life of these expatriated fraternities (who were very glad to be and stay in their land of exile) is a fascinating project. I don't have the time at the moment, but will keep the idea in sight and would love to hear how you progress.

best wishes

JC Flornoy