Puzzled by the Hanged man

More

Hi!
As part of a larger spread about a complicated situation I’m in, I got the Hanged man as advice. Some of the aspects of the Hanged man could be applied as advice in this case, but they all represent a different action so I drew a clarifier - the World. I can only see differences between these two, the HM is suspended, the W is not, HM is more of a internal process, W is external ending, HM requires altitude and acting and the W somehow doesn't involve so much effort.
In a previous reading on the same question I got Hanged man as advice clarified by 6 of swords and I misinterpreted it badly. I see a lots of similarities between the World and 6 of swords- they're both ending something,crossing a boundary, leaving behind and travel. But neither aspect applies to the Hanged man.
In what terms the Hanged man and the World could mean the same thing? What's the common between them?
Edited: sorry and thank you

rwcarter

Moderator Note

Welcome to Aeclectic, More!

Please take a moment to read the UTC Posting Rules. Aeclectic is a learning forum and as such we require users who are asking for help with card interpretations to provide their own interpretations first before others may help them. We also ask that you only mention the card(s) you want to discuss and that you provide interpretations for all cards you list.

You list one card in the thread title, list 5 different cards in your post, but say you spent days thinking on 3 cards. Please edit your post so that you're only discussing the card(s) you wish to discuss and make sure you clearly indicate how each card is interpreted. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me directly.

Other posters, please hold off until this has been done.

rwcarter, co-Moderator of Using Tarot Cards

rwcarter

I view clarifiers as restating the meaning of the original card, but in different terms. Clarifiers don't provide additional information as much as they can provide focus to the card you don't understand.

So the Hanged Man as advice could be pointing to the need to look at the situation from a different perspective. As clarifier, the World could be saying that the perspective you need to focus on is the long-term goal. So don't worry about winning the battle, but focus on winning the war. Don't worry about passing the exam, worry about getting your degree. Don't focus on the immediate in whatever the complicated situation is, instead figure out how you want the situation to end and focus your energy there.

Does that help?

Rodney

nisaba

Hi!
As part of a larger spread about a complicated situation I’m in, I got the Hanged man as advice. Some of the aspects of the Hanged man could be applied as advice in this case, but they all represent a different action

Well, I obviously don't know the client's situation in this case, but the overwhelming meaning of the Hanged Man for me, that can be adapted and expanded to fit many different situations, is that the best course of action is to take no action. Or to find yourself in a situation where you CAN take no action and are forced to wait. Now is not the right time to act: this might be frustrating, but perhaps by holding back they will allow the universe to line up the right set of coincidences to get the most out of the situation, while by forcing themselves to act now they will miss out on those chances and get a less positive outcome. It may be a time of frustration, a time of sacrificing your own needs for those around you, a time of impatience, a time of having others limit your actions, but when the ropes are off and you feel you can act again, things will look a lot more positive.

so I drew a clarifier - the World.

The natural, logical, positive end of a cycle. Yup, that confirms it. Wait. Wait until the time is right. ait until it is time to move out of this phase - they will instinctively recognise that time.

More

rwcarter:
Wow, I've never looked at it that way. This fits the situation and made me think in different direction - suspending/postponing the final battle or even further - sacrifice oneself in the final battle. Kamikaze combination. Scary advice to follow...

As for the clarifiers I use different questions when I want more info and when I want the same meaning with another card. It worked so far, and I kind of freaked when I got almost the same answer on both questions.

nisaba:
Actually I considered that, but felt like the Hanged man is way too strong, heavy and charged way of saying 'wait'. Waiting in this case is easy and I tend to see majors like a big emphasis, but when somebody else points it out it sounds logical. I'll definitely reconsider the idea.

Thank you both and sorry for my messed up English.

Ruby Jewel

Hi!
As part of a larger spread about a complicated situation I’m in, I got the Hanged man as advice. Some of the aspects of the Hanged man could be applied as advice in this case, but they all represent a different action so I drew a clarifier - the World. I can only see differences between these two, the HM is suspended, the W is not, HM is more of a internal process, W is external ending, HM requires altitude and acting and the W somehow doesn't involve so much effort.
In a previous reading on the same question I got Hanged man as advice clarified by 6 of swords and I misinterpreted it badly. I see a lots of similarities between the World and 6 of swords- they're both ending something,crossing a boundary, leaving behind and travel. But neither aspect applies to the Hanged man.
In what terms the Hanged man and the World could mean the same thing? What's the common between them?
Edited: sorry and thank you

The Hanged Man can mean "enlightenment." Hanged man is also 12th House of betrayal. I don't see the HM necessarily as 'withdrawal'... but learning to see something in a new way; giving up an old way for a new way; thereby becoming a different and better person; expressing your truth and living up to it. Sacrificing something and changing the direction of your life. Perhaps you are waiting for someone...the right someone. The World says you are on the right path.

JoyousGirl

If you turn the World card upside down, the placement of her legs are in the same placement as the Hanged Man's. That's a similarity in the cards visually. So what does that actually say? The person in the World card got there eventually.

I am going to think aloud here:

Sometimes our world needs to be turned upside down. Sometimes we will not be standing on solid ground. Sometimes we will be bound to a situation until we learn what we need to learn from it. Freedom sometimes means restrictions (this is a bit of a paradox - but we have to work to earn the money to go on holidays). Sometimes we are where we are meant to be. Patience is often more valuable than power. Do you need to turn someone's world on its head?

Neither the Hanged Man or the woman in the World card have their feet on solid ground - does that mean to use imagination? Or simply that we are not on solid ground?

There's a discovery to come, but I think there's intuitive guidance and maybe hard lessons you need to learn in order to get to where you are going. The World is ruled by Saturn which is a teacher - a very strict one - who can eat us up in the process.

Odin (the Hanged Man) lost an eye. The woman in the World card had to go through all the other cards (including Death, Tower and the Moon) to get where she is.

We can either give up or get on with it.

Ruby Jewel

If you turn the World card upside down, the placement of her legs are in the same placement as the Hanged Man's. That's a similarity in the cards visually. So what does that actually say? The person in the World card got there eventually.

I am going to think aloud here:

Sometimes our world needs to be turned upside down. Sometimes we will not be standing on solid ground. Sometimes we will be bound to a situation until we learn what we need to learn from it. Freedom sometimes means restrictions (this is a bit of a paradox - but we have to work to earn the money to go on holidays). Sometimes we are where we are meant to be. Patience is often more valuable than power. Do you need to turn someone's world on its head?

Neither the Hanged Man or the woman in the World card have their feet on solid ground - does that mean to use imagination? Or simply that we are not on solid ground?

There's a discovery to come, but I think there's intuitive guidance and maybe hard lessons you need to learn in order to get to where you are going. The World is ruled by Saturn which is a teacher - a very strict one - who can eat us up in the process.

Odin (the Hanged Man) lost an eye. The woman in the World card had to go through all the other cards (including Death, Tower and the Moon) to get where she is.

We can either give up or get on with it.

Interesting thoughts. Thanks.

More

JoyousGirl:
Yup. It's not just the leg, their numbers - 12 and 21 and the entire energy of those cards is a mirror image. If I wasn't using reversals I would say it means Hanged man reversed, but I was. When you touch a mirror with your finger and look closely the finger and the image don't really touch, there is always the solid glass barier between - visible if you pay attention. Unconnectable no matter how hard you try. And you're right about the imagination: using it not only to see the hidden aspects of the Hanged man /like 'look closely, here is a mirror/ but also to apply in real life in order to manifest his qualities. All this *using imagination for the image* concept is blurry and not yet clear in my head, but I'll work on that, thank you.
Somethimes I think I went too far in abstract, all big events come in a mundane form.