"Darker" Deck reccs?

caridwen

rebecca-smiles said:
I really want the vertigo deck, but i'm in two minds about it (since i can't afford to buy an expenseive deck i won't use) but there seems to be mixed opinion on how good it is. is it very 'readable'?

I've also just bought the Vertigo for about £40 1st ed. and will let you know how I get on with it. Every deck will have mixed opinion on how the reader gets on with it, and how 'readable' it is. Like I said above, I love the Vargo Gothic for readings whereas others hate it or think it's 'cheesy' - those are vastly differing opinions but do you think I'll stop reading the Vargo Gothic because of it?

raeanne

Hi all,
Defining 'dark' as something along the line of 'including the shadow side of life', I strongly recommend Crow's Magic. This is a very good shamanic deck that allows your spirit to go where it needs to go to resolve the issues it needs to resolve. It doesn't shy away from anything. At the same time its imagery is symbolic and unoffending. I can't think of any card that wouldn't be OK to show to anyone, even children. As for 'dark' being defined as 'evil or grotesque', then Giger, Decameron, and such have already been mentioned.

rebecca-smiles

Sidhe-Ra said:
Well, I like it- a LOT. I don't find the minors dissapointing at all- really, truly, honestly! I get a LOT out of them. In fact I was amazed by how much I got.

Plus they're REALLY scrumptious- I have the first edition, which I was lucky enough to get for about £25, and its the best quality deck and presentation I own.

Blessings,

Em xx

You were lucky to get them for that!

My interest in them is primarily for their art, i love dave mackean and neil gaiman, so there is my motivation...but i am aware as Umbrae points out, not everything artisticlly appealing translates into tarot. I know it is based on the comic books, and my mum has it. i find the minors swimming and reeling but then i need to get used to them (she won't let me borrow this one; 1st ed. about £70!).

i guess the only way to find out is to buy it and see...i don't collect decks but i would collect this one even if it was a bad read, had i the £. so gorgeous!

gregory

I've got all these (except Bohemian Gothic, of course) and Umbrae is right; darkness is in the eye of the beholder. The deck that creeps me out most among my own collection is the Blue Moon/Maat.... :eek: (that is NOT to say I don't like it.) The Vertigo is quite gentle.

But the Savage is NOT all about sex, it really isn't.