Gilded Tarot - Design on Card-backs

CreativeFire

I also really like image on the the "backs" of the Gilded. Unfortunately sometimes the backs of decks are overlooked in their imagery but this was one of the things that I was very taken with when I first looked at the Gilded website, in that this image is also reflected in the cards and is not like an afterthought.

Like the idea of the crystal ball connection with the jewel in the middle of the 'sun'. I did not associate the lattice screen to a confessional (as I have never seen one close up), but it did make me think of a screen that slides back to reveal the mystery of the cards - or something like that.

When I look at the 'sun' design, it reminds me of the old fashioned way of drawing a 'compass rose' on older maps. I have read something recently about the design of the compass rose but for the life of me cannot remember where and the details at the moment. No doubt it will pop into my mind unexpectedly and will post more when I remember! LOL

*edited to add: thinking about the compass rose idea - I also make the connection to this that the cards may offer new directions or insights.

CreativeFire

tmgrl2

I was looking at the back of the cards again...Top and bottom of backs has blue, red and purple gemstones...the top and bottom gemstone in the Trumps looks black, like an onyx...On the backs the top and bottom stones look black, like on the trumps, but the patterm merges into the stone.....I love the use of color here. Certainly everyone has their own inner meaning links for colors, but I love the onyx...I think of an onyx as a stone of releasing negative emotions...also, it is the stone of my "class ring"...a large rectangular onyx...so this is a powerful inner image for me on the Trumps as well.

The cups have a fiery orange top and botom of image, the swords have blue stones, top and bottom, the pents have green top and bottom of image and the wands have red top and bottom. So it's interesting that the purple stones on the side of the back of the cards, are not used as one of the four stones for the minor suits, but purple is prevalent in the deck...(another thread on colors coming up, perhaps?)

terri

lunakasha

tmgrl2 said:
The cups have a fiery orange top and botom of image, the swords have blue stones, top and bottom, the pents have green top and bottom of image and the wands have red top and bottom. So it's interesting that the purple stones on the side of the back of the cards, are not used as one of the four stones for the minor suits, but purple is prevalent in the deck...(another thread on colors coming up, perhaps?)

terri

Yes terri.....I would love to have some more discussion on colors used in the Gilded and possible interpretations of their symbolism.

Also loved your comments on onyx, which is a favorite stone of mine...colors and stones, two of my favorite things! :D

Anyone have any thoughts on the significance of purple in this deck??? Personally, I usually associate purple with spirituality, intuition and inner strength....but I am sure there are many others.

:) Luna

OakDragon

I have also heard of purple as assoicated with royalty.

tmgrl2

Oakie, depending on where I see it, I associate purple with royalty as well...also with religion and sometimes even with fanatical religion...so it depends on where it is...

My first "psychic" work was in color...purple for me also had to do with rules and regulations, traditions, the past, romanticism...and depending on area (emotional, material or spiritual) different associations....In color work, it depended like the cards on the position of the color..past, present, future, outcome...e.g. in a spiritual mode, purple as a Surrounding Influence might indicate the a system of beliefs is playing a strong role in the spiritual search....

I worked with a psychic, Tony Grosso, in Florida, who wrote a book, The Rainbow Oracle, based on his color work. We became friends and he became my mentor as I worked with color and handwritings...I still refer to his work and some of my old notes...but some of my imagery and color-meanings have evolved as I have encountered color in Tarot...

This would certainly be a fascinating topic as we move along in our study group...the colors in the GT. I loved, e.g., the colors radiating from the 10 swords in your pull...

terri

So, I'm still evolving on the colors in this deck , backs and card images...I try to interpret them as I read, instead of studying each one...but the backs of the cards fascinated me in terms of colors of gems..

That's one of the large reasons I love the Gilded Tarot...the colors!

Lee

Speaking of colors, I just received Llewellyn's new catalogue, and the Gilded is featured on the cover, using the front box illustration, big as life. I don't have the limited edition, so this was the first time I was seeing Ciro's work on anything other than a computer screen, and it makes quite an impact. The colors are rich and jewel-like, and there are details and a sharpness of line which can't be seen on the scans.

Also in the catalogue is a new book, "Tarot: Get the Whole Story" by James Ricklef, and the cover of the book shows the Gilded deck sitting on a desktop with four cards laid out (so the card backs are visible on the face-down pile), along with a cup of coffee and a pen and notebook. The cards look great in this picture! There's a caption that says "Final book cover to come," so maybe the final cover will be totally different (although I hope not).

-- Lee

lunakasha

Bumping this up for discussion.....

There is SO MUCH detail on the backs of these cards....

Any thoughts on this???

:) Luna

shelikes2read

Interestingly enough, the screen pattern on the back of the card reminds me of chain mail. Of course, this crossed my mind right after I attended a renaissance faire where they had chain mail items for sale. :)

I did, however, notice with great interest that it's made up of interlocking circles.

BTW, if you take note of which direction the "light source" is shining on the gems on the back of the deck, you'll be able to tell whether the card is upright or reversed, BEFORE you turn it over. :)

AmberWolf

Chain mail, yup.

shelikes2read said:
Interestingly enough, the screen pattern on the back of the card reminds me of chain mail. Of course, this crossed my mind right after I attended a renaissance faire where they had chain mail items for sale. :)

I did, however, notice with great interest that it's made up of interlocking circles.

BTW, if you take note of which direction the "light source" is shining on the gems on the back of the deck, you'll be able to tell whether the card is upright or reversed, BEFORE you turn it over. :)

Great minds think alike or something, because the first thought that crossed my mind when I saw the screen pattern was "chain mail" too. No idea what the symbolism for that would be, but I can't help it. Look like a chain mail to me. *chuckles* Maybe because I actually made a chain mail shirt years ago. ;) lol

It is a gorgeous card back. And so full of symbolism. The sun in particular is very interesting.

annik

I think it is the most ornated back I ever seen. And I like the colors of the gems (especially the blue ones)