How do you a 3 card spread?!

Quest85

Since I'm a beginner, i do only 3 card readings. they seem to work well for me.. for now.

I used to have an oracle deck with which i used to lay more cards in certain order, and the layout had a meaning [like past-present-future-solution..]

the 3 card layout, i generally try to see if there is a past/present/future possibility. sometimes there is, and at times there isn't. sometimes, most usually, there is a past influence, current situation, and outcome [future], with a general advice from all the cards.. the general message is more of the pragmatic or 'hidden in plain sight' type of thing..

sorry, i can't explain well.. i guess i let my intuition guide me instead?

No I get it :) , as I am fairly a beginner too, these tactics are all very recognizable to me.
I don't like ppf but I do sometimes notice cards sometimes do refer to the past, would it be the left flanking or obvious facing (into the past)...like you said, a lot of the times I feel something is up and/or not quite right...
I always look for a 'one sentence' message from the spread (at the bottom of my readings I do a brief recab off what the message of the readings are, easy if I'm reviewing previous readings aswell)

I think you're doing the right thing to use your intuition above all, because thats the point of readings them in the first place right?!
So rock on using your intuition ;) :)

Charlie Brown

My main 3 card

I do a 3 card spread every morning: 1-2-3

1) How should I direct my energies for the day?
2) What will be my challenge/obstacle today?
3) What is the lesson I need to learn today?

Since I'm pretty new, I do mostly 3 card spreads of different types. I like them because I can work on finding all the connections between the cards in ways that would be impossible for me in a larger spread.

nisaba

Hi AE's ..
I was curious to know how you like to read your 3-card spreads?

Someone here compiled a whole book of three-card spreads a year or two ago, that various members use. Of course, I like mine: the Baba Yaga spread:

1) What are you running from?

2) What is it you are running to?

3) What are you willing to risk?
Although lately, I've been reading card 3 in ths one as "why are you running at all?"

Quest85

Since I'm pretty new, I do mostly 3 card spreads of different types. I like them because I can work on finding all the connections between the cards in ways that would be impossible for me in a larger spread.

This is great everyday spread! ...that is if I would had the time to do this every morning ;)
Going to keep this in mind when I do draw myself a daily reading :)

Yes I agree, larger spreads are a bit too complicated when your fairly new.
When I started out about 2 years ago, I actually did 10 card Celtic crosses...because that was about the only example spread in the mini guide that came along with my deck. Soon after I realized that CC's were to much, just yet, and so I started to do 3 card spreads in all varieties, instead. Which works for me a lot more.

Thanks for sharing!

Quest85

Someone here compiled a whole book of three-card spreads a year or two ago, that various members use. Of course, I like mine: the Baba Yaga spread:

1) What are you running from?

2) What is it you are running to?

3) What are you willing to risk?
Although lately, I've been reading card 3 in ths one as "why are you running at all?"

Interesting spread! and do you adjust the positions, when specific questions are asked? because this reading may not be suited for certain kind of questions right?
Or do you use a different spread for different kind of readings?

Thanks for sharing!

Hedera

Charlie Brown, I really like this one!
Did you create it, or did you find it somewhere?

When I write down spreads to try in my notebook, I like to add who created it.
"Charlie Brown's Spread" has a nice ring to it! :)

lantana

3 card spreads are my favorite! They have such versatility, there's been a lot of articles and infographics out there full of possibile spreads that aren't just past/present/future.

I actually like to use them when I have a specific question or worry. For example, if I had a question like "How will [coming event] go?" I'll pull a card for that along with "What should I do?" and "What should I avoid?". This is what three card spreads are great for, because you get more information and context then you might with just a one card draw.

However, no matter what kind of spread I'm doing I almost always have the left one be the focus card. If you're struggling with the center/2nd card being overshadowed by the others, maybe try a triangle shape so the card is above the rest and that top-left reading instinct kicks in.

ihcoyc

I generally don 't use fixed positional meanings myself, especially not in a three card line spread. Instead, I try to figure out what the cards are saying in the context they create between themselves; what kind of a story is being told here?

The good thing about small spreads is that they force you to focus on what these three cards are saying. You avoid the temptation of focusing on two or three cards out of a ten card spread that tell you what you want to hear, or seem particularly startling.

Charlie Brown

I think I did...

Charlie Brown, I really like this one!
Did you create it, or did you find it somewhere?

When I write down spreads to try in my notebook, I like to add who created it.
"Charlie Brown's Spread" has a nice ring to it! :)

I honestly don't quite remember if I created this myself or not. I was looking through a lot of spreads online and in a couple of library books very quickly to get a feel for the kinds of questions / types of card positions, etc. If I had to guess, I believe I created it myself with the inspiration of all those spreads running around my head. It may very well have been a distillation of a larger 5 or 7 card general life reading edited down for a daily read.

Sorry that I can't be more definitive. Thank you for for the kind words about it though. I like the sound of Charlie Brown's Spread too.

nisaba

Interesting spread! and do you adjust the positions, when specific questions are asked? because this reading may not be suited for certain kind of questions right?

<smile> Most spreads are not suited to certain kinds of questions. In fact, any question at all, dicates what spread is best chosen for it.

Or do you use a different spread for different kind of readings?

Oh, absolutely. This spread is best suited to an introspective look at the client's relationship to themselves and to their life.