Analyzing the Moon card: so many layers

tarot_quest

Hi ATers!

I am getting a better grasp on the Moon card lately and at the same time, I am realizing that this card contains so many layers. It's a very interesting card.

It would be nice to analyze the different elements that compose this card and it would be even more interesting if you would let us know whether SOME element of this card meant something specific for you in your readings.

-The Moon: Shed a light at night. Heighten the intuition and can also lead to confusion (and to fears and paranoia when taken to an extreme)

- Wolves: Our animalistic nature, pulsions and desire

- Dogs: Our ''civilized part''; when we behave like humans because of our conditioning from society

- Crab (in water): The unconscious, dreams, illusions, the psyche

-The two towers: Any ideas?

Also, I am wondering if the Moon is almost always associate with CONFUSION or of the moon can be associate with a reliable intuition. (Thirteen's differentiation between the Moon and the HP (filter and unfiltered) was useful here! Anyhow, life experiences from your readings are always welcome) :)

Ruby Jewel

Hi ATers!

I am getting a better grasp on the Moon card lately and at the same time, I am realizing that this card contains so many layers. It's a very interesting card.

It would be nice to analyze the different elements that compose this card and it would be even more interesting if you would let us know whether SOME element of this card meant something specific for you in your readings.

-The Moon: Shed a light at night. Heighten the intuition and can also lead to confusion (and to fears and paranoia when taken to an extreme)

- Wolves: Our animalistic nature, pulsions and desire

- Dogs: Our ''civilized part''; when we behave like humans because of our conditioning from society

- Crab (in water): The unconscious, dreams, illusions, the psyche

-The two towers: Any ideas?

Also, I am wondering if the Moon is almost always associate with CONFUSION or of the moon can be associate with a reliable intuition. (Thirteen's differentiation between the Moon and the HP (filter and unfiltered) was useful here! Anyhow, life experiences from your readings are always welcome) :)

I, like you, am fascinated with the Moon Card. For me the path that leads through the two Towers in The Moon card, leads finally back into the light of day with the Sun card. I consider The two towers as a gate out of the "Dark Night of the Soul" (which I call Cards 13 through 18), or if you prefer,"The Night Sea Journey"..... inasmuch as The Moon is the last card in that journey and The Sun card (19) is next....it is the journey of "transformation"... whereby one emerges a new being..... not an easy trip for any of us. When laid out in the "trine" formation, The Star of Hope and Temperance are the balancing forces for The Moon and The Devil, respectively.

tarot_quest

I consider The two towers as a gate out of the "Dark Night of the Soul" (which I call Cards 13 through 18), or if you prefer,"The Night Sea Journey"..... inasmuch as The Moon is the last card in that journey and The Sun card (19) is next....

That is very symbolic, the Moon card leading to the Sun card via the little alley with the two towers... I like that!

So the Moon card is an inward journey leading to a better comprehension of ourselves?

It could be, indeed!

Ruby Jewel

That is very symbolic, the Moon card leading to the Sun card via the little alley with the two towers... I like that!

So the Moon card is an inward journey leading to a better comprehension of ourselves?

It could be, indeed!

There's always the possibility you won't make it out of the Moon card....no guarantees that you will experience "transformation." You have to reach the Sun card through the two towers....and it is not an easy journey.. there's always the possibility that you may not find your way. Not everyone comes out of a nervous breakdown better off....nor makes it out of an addiction....see what I mean....you have to look for the light. The "night" lights are the Moon and the Star...if they come up together then I would say there is great Hope of achieving transformation..... So, anyway, that is what the Moon card means to me. When I see it come up in a spread I know without a doubt that the person is going through, or has been through, "h..ll". If I see the Sun or the Star I know they are almost through it and will make it. Even the Tower tells me that it is now a matter of rebuilding. If Death or the Devil comes up and Temperance is missing....they are struggling in the dark. Temperance is the only card in the deck stronger than the Devil.

Michael Sternbach

Besides confusion, The Moon often represents fears.

violetdaisy

Never Ending Story

For some reason, this card reminds me of that movie, the crumbling Sphinx with the laser eyes and having to be pure of heart (or brave, I forget the precise "good qualities" ) to pass through. I don't know why. This leads to a few waves of thought. Including having to pass through to get to the next step and a question of am I really seeing what's there, fear etc.

Ruby Jewel

For some reason, this card reminds me of that movie, the crumbling Sphinx with the laser eyes and having to be pure of heart (or brave, I forget the precise "good qualities" ) to pass through. I don't know why. This leads to a few waves of thought. Including having to pass through to get to the next step and a question of am I really seeing what's there, fear etc.

I just watched a reading on UTube using the Psychic Tarot for the Heart oracle cards and the Moon card is represented by the card marked "Confrontation". The image was of a man with his back to the viewer, and he is facing his shadow self standing beneath a crescent moon. Truly, confronting our personal archetypal shadow self is a journey through the dark night of transformation....I feel this is a really potent quality of the Moon Card... and somewhat comparable to the "crumbling Sphinx"..... as a metaphor for the crumbling of the shadow side of our personality when we expose it to the laser eyes of our conscious focus.

NightVision

That would be The Neverending Story, and I think you are referring to the Gate to the Southern Oracle. I love that film.
http://youtu.be/I_vzG5nYk1I

For me, the Moon is always about a false light, that is why it is associated with secrets, deception and confusion. Nothing is as it appears to be.

Michael Sternbach

For some reason, I was also thinking of that movie scene. :D

dannyboy8406

I was always really confused about the lobster in this card. For the longest time it just threw me off as I couldn't really connect it with anything. This I found an article online where the author is really good at doing an overall mean of the cards and then takes individual elements in the card and breaks them down a little more. Here's what she said about the lobster:

Also depicted as a crayfish or a crab in other deck renditions, crustaceous creatures are a symbol of hidden psychic power. These creatures live in water (which is a symbol of the subconscious) and when they emerge from the depths of the water it is an expression of coming out of the dark or coming out of hiding. Further, these creatures are usually equipped with a hard exoskeleton which is a symbol of armor which protects the tender, beauty we all carry inside our souls. As mentioned in the introduction above, the lobster is a representation of us on our pilgrimage to carry out our higher (most often hidden) divine purpose. Additionally, it's worthwhile to investigate the astrological aspects of Cancer as the moon is its ruler.
http://www.tarotteachings.com/moon-tarot-card-meanings.html