Analyzing the Moon card: so many layers

tarot_quest

I was always really confused about the lobster in this card. For the longest time it just threw me off as I couldn't really connect it with anything. This I found an article online where the author is really good at doing an overall mean of the cards and then takes individual elements in the card and breaks them down a little more. Here's what she said about the lobster:

http://www.tarotteachings.com/moon-tarot-card-meanings.html

Thanks! I like how she phrased it: that the exoskeleton protects our divine nature. Being inside a ''Moon'' phase might indeed be a difficult time and require a solid protection to do not turn crazy.

From what I understood in this post, the Moon often signifies a confusing period that might be very transmformational (and rewarding) if we accept its challenges. An analogy would be walking in the dark while looking for a door in a house that you don't fully know. It might take a while but once you reach the door, there is light on the other side.

dannyboy8406

Thanks! I like how she phrased it: that the exoskeleton protects our divine nature. Being inside a ''Moon'' phase might indeed be a difficult time and require a solid protection to do not turn crazy.

Agreed! Finding that website was a big help to me. It made me go all the way back through the cards and look at those tiny things that I may have taken for granted...I definitely added a lot entries to my tarot journal with her insights/information!

Ruby Jewel

The crab stands for the astrological sign of Cancer, which is under the rulership of the Moon. The Crab is extremely sensitive, as are Cancer natives, and withdraws when hurt. Perhaps the crab indicates those attributes as a part of the definition of the Moon card...in particular "withdrawal."

Laurelle

For some reason, this card reminds me of that movie, the crumbling Sphinx with the laser eyes and having to be pure of heart (or brave, I forget the precise "good qualities" ) to pass through. I don't know why. This leads to a few waves of thought. Including having to pass through to get to the next step and a question of am I really seeing what's there, fear etc.

That was my FAVORITE movie growing up!!!!! It's called the Neverending Story. It is so good!

Laurelle

The Moon card can be scary when you look at it. I remember going through my first deck, which was RWS. I was about 14. I am a cancer, which is linked to the moon, so I really wanted to see the Moon card.... Needless to say, I was not happy when I saw the picture. I thought it would be more like the picture on the Star....The moon felt very dark to me and it forever changed my opinion about the moon.

It's a card that can bring up fears and solve mysteries on it's way. It is also a card ruled by 28 days. Some people read this as there are 28 days in a menstrual cycle, so it can be about pregnancy, which makes sense when you think about the way the moon is exaltated in Venus.

It's also double water, isn't it? It's ruled by the moon (obviously), which is ruled by cancer, but the card itself is ruled by Pisces. Pisces is also a mutable sign, so like the moon it waxes and wanes. It's fluid and easily movable. I see the Moon as a card where adapatation is easy. You can easily flow between one world and the other. Pisces is ruled by Neptune and Neptune is also the planet symbolized by psychics and mystics, who have to use their subconscious to access information. Neptune is also ruled by King Poisedan, who ruled the sea. That's a lot of water. In the occult, water represents the subconscious.

There's a lot of creative, mutable energy to this card and if funneled correctly you can have a great time coming up with amazing ideas, creative inventions and mind blowing art or music.

The Moon comes up at night, so dreams are important area of the Moon card. The dreams in symbolism is also important. When I was no more than 3 or 4 I would hate falling asleep. I would ask my mother to hold my hand as I fell asleep. My mother was often exasperated by this, but I was very scared because every night I would "go somewhere." I was afraid it was a place I wouldn't be able to return.

I expressed my fear to my mother, "Where do you go when you sleep?" I asked. She replied with the same tired answer, "You don't go anywhere. You stay right here." But my vocabulary was growing so I asked again, "But I GO somewhere. I get up from my body. Sometimes I fly to the tree. Sometimes I fly on flying refrigerators. They take me to the city in the sky. And I am very afraid I won't come back."
To this my mother exclaimed, "Why, Laurel! You're just having dreams! Congratulations."

But I was never quite convinced that we truly don't go anywhere. Why then does every dream I ever had about flying happen to happen in familiar places? Why do the same people come up and incorporate themselves into my dreams. Why when I fall asleep with a question in a meditative state, is the question answered?

The Moon card answers this question about your dreams. They are not only your subconscious, but an access way to the astral world, the mystics and the psychics, but be careful because there is a fine line between psycho and psychic!

tarot_quest

The Moon card can be scary when you look at it. I remember going through my first deck, which was RWS. I was about 14. I am a cancer, which is linked to the moon, so I really wanted to see the Moon card.... Needless to say, I was not happy when I saw the picture. I thought it would be more like the picture on the Star....The moon felt very dark to me and it forever changed my opinion about the moon.

It's a card that can bring up fears and solve mysteries on it's way. It is also a card ruled by 28 days. Some people read this as there are 28 days in a menstrual cycle, so it can be about pregnancy, which makes sense when you think about the way the moon is exaltated in Venus.

It's also double water, isn't it? It's ruled by the moon (obviously), which is ruled by cancer, but the card itself is ruled by Pisces. Pisces is also a mutable sign, so like the moon it waxes and wanes. It's fluid and easily movable. I see the Moon as a card where adapatation is easy. You can easily flow between one world and the other. Pisces is ruled by Neptune and Neptune is also the planet symbolized by psychics and mystics, who have to use their subconscious to access information. Neptune is also ruled by King Poisedan, who ruled the sea. That's a lot of water. In the occult, water represents the subconscious.

There's a lot of creative, mutable energy to this card and if funneled correctly you can have a great time coming up with amazing ideas, creative inventions and mind blowing art or music.

The Moon comes up at night, so dreams are important area of the Moon card. The dreams in symbolism is also important. When I was no more than 3 or 4 I would hate falling asleep. I would ask my mother to hold my hand as I fell asleep. My mother was often exasperated by this, but I was very scared because every night I would "go somewhere." I was afraid it was a place I wouldn't be able to return.

I expressed my fear to my mother, "Where do you go when you sleep?" I asked. She replied with the same tired answer, "You don't go anywhere. You stay right here." But my vocabulary was growing so I asked again, "But I GO somewhere. I get up from my body. Sometimes I fly to the tree. Sometimes I fly on flying refrigerators. They take me to the city in the sky. And I am very afraid I won't come back."
To this my mother exclaimed, "Why, Laurel! You're just having dreams! Congratulations."

But I was never quite convinced that we truly don't go anywhere. Why then does every dream I ever had about flying happen to happen in familiar places? Why do the same people come up and incorporate themselves into my dreams. Why when I fall asleep with a question in a meditative state, is the question answered?

The Moon card answers this question about your dreams. They are not only your subconscious, but an access way to the astral world, the mystics and the psychics, but be careful because there is a fine line between psycho and psychic!

Very nice description Laurelle! Your story of you falling asleep and asking where you go at night is cute :p

I see where you are coming from when saying that the energy of the Moon card brings inspiration for music and art.

However, I still don't understand if the energy of the Moon (when doing tarot) means only confusion (and fears) when talking about how reliable our intuition is to take decisions...

Would you say that we should trust the energy of this card more for art than for taking decisions about our life and relationships? I am just thinking that if this card comes up, let's say to indicate the ''base'' of a situation where I have to take important decisions, that it might not be the best thing to trust my intuition, at that particular moment, since events don't appear as they truly are?

Michellehihi

What puzzles me on the moon card are the 2 towers, do they refer to the columns in the high priestess card?

Ruby Jewel

Very nice description Laurelle! Your story of you falling asleep and asking where you go at night is cute :p

I see where you are coming from when saying that the energy of the Moon card brings inspiration for music and art.

However, I still don't understand if the energy of the Moon (when doing tarot) means only confusion (and fears) when talking about how reliable our intuition is to take decisions...

Would you say that we should trust the energy of this card more for art than for taking decisions about our life and relationships? I am just thinking that if this card comes up, let's say to indicate the ''base'' of a situation where I have to take important decisions, that it might not be the best thing to trust my intuition, at that particular moment, since events don't appear as they truly are?

I agree with you regarding Laurelle's quote....it is really interesting...downright fascinating and has me thinking a lot. I happen to have a Pisces rising which is on the cusp of the 12th house which belongs to Pisces. It is the house of betrayal, confusion (the Piscean fish both swim in opposite directions), incarceration, addictions (usual alcohol as it is watery).... an altogether Neptunian world where the person actually prefers to see the world in a dreamy, unfocused blurr like one sees through water....it is seductive and hard to escape.....pulls the person under and they often willingly go as if in a trance. I think the Moon card is a dangerous place to be. When I see it in a spread I pay big attention to it...never take it lightly. The Moon card for me is a card that says.....loud and clear........"HEY...wake up!"

Laurelle

Oh..okay. I thought you were trying to understand this card better in general, but this is from a spread?

Since the Moon is so watery and adaptable, I would look at the surrounding cards for more information.

As the base of a situation there could be a little bit of illusion going on. You maybe seeing things the way you fantasize them to be and not the way the real are. You could be dreaming about the perfect house or perfect job. For example, you* do this because you think you're on the right track after reading the Secret to the law of attraction. But it's an illusion because the Law of Attraction is more than just visualizing materialistic projects. The Law of Attraction is taken right out of hermetic occult principles and watered down to give to the mass public. So you might be spending too much time dreaming and visualize than doing. And that would be the illusion part.

One reason why the Moon is confusing is because we are taught to ignore our intuition. Creativity is often overlooked when compared to science and math. The average person fears the true medium or true psychic. And many people are afraid to act on an intuitive hunch. For example, say you are in the car with your new boyfriend.
You tell him, "Take a different route. This one has an accident."
He asks with a smirk, "How do you know? Did you pick that up on your iphone?"
You reply with,"No, just a hunch. Just a feeling." You may even feel a little dumb because you didn't check google maps for updated traffic information and you just went on this "hunch". Then it turns out you and your boyfriend get stuck in two hours worth of traffic! You're boyfriend may seem a little scared and startled by this accurate prediction. Most people are too afraid of their intuititon. They don't want to be wrong. And it isn't like having a hunch fits into the scientific method. That can be scary.

It's scary to give up complete control to your subconscious mind and when you do, you may lose control of the situation and lose the ability to discern between what is real and what is not.

For instance, one of the ladies in my tarot study group goes a little too far in some of her interpretations. She understands a lot. She is wise, but sometimes her intuitive and creative boundaries flow effortlessly into the weird and intangible. I've told her before that she really, really needs to write fiction. In her instance, I think the moon applies to her situation because she is not using the intuitive and creative abilities wisely. She is getting lost 4th dimension, Christ Consciousness, spooky science and aliens. The reality part is being lost on her and she needs to reign it in. Her creativity is amazing to listen to and it really does sound just like a sci-fi book. So there is also that illusion there between what is real and what is not real.

**you as in third person singular. not as specifically you.

tarot_quest

What puzzles me on the moon card are the 2 towers, do they refer to the columns in the high priestess card?

I would like to know too! As another person said, it could symbolically means ''getting out of a dark period'' to enter into sun card (card 19). The two Towers are symbolically indicating the path to follow.

I agree with you regarding Laurelle's quote....it is really interesting...downright fascinating and has me thinking a lot. I happen to have a Pisces rising which is on the cusp of the 12th house which belongs to Pisces. It is the house of betrayal, confusion (the Piscean fish both swim in opposite directions), incarceration, addictions (usual alcohol as it is watery).... an altogether Neptunian world where the person actually prefers to see the world in a dreamy, unfocused blurr like one sees through water....it is seductive and hard to escape.....pulls the person under and they often willingly go as if in a trance. I think the Moon card is a dangerous place to be. When I see it in a spread I pay big attention to it...never take it lightly. The Moon card for me is a card that says.....loud and clear........"HEY...wake up!"

So if my sun is in the 12 house, it is dangerous? I know that people with 12 house placement can be dreamy, but the 12 house also has some advantages : compassion, intuition, dissolution of the ego,... I have never been into addiction and betrayal. Maybe it depends on how a person uses the energy of his/her chart?

Thanks for your inputs by the way!

For instance, one of the ladies in my tarot study group goes a little too far in some of her interpretations. She understands a lot. She is wise, but sometimes her intuitive and creative boundaries flow effortlessly into the weird and intangible. I've told her before that she really, really needs to write fiction. In her instance, I think the moon applies to her situation because she is not using the intuitive and creative abilities wisely. She is getting lost 4th dimension, Christ Consciousness, spooky science and aliens. The reality part is being lost on her and she needs to reign it in. Her creativity is amazing to listen to and it really does sound just like a sci-fi book. So there is also that illusion there between what is real and what is not real.

Oh yes, I was trying to understand the Moon card in general (it's not a question from a spread). But when I get this card, I wonder how to extract the benefits of the Moon card without being fooled!

Your example with the lady is a very good one. She gets both sides of the Moon: a good intuition but lost in a world of fantasies