Robin Wood - Page of Wands

Gwynne

satinangel said:
I never noticed this before, thank you so much for pointing this out to me!

(BTW, the pages and knights are giving me the most difficult time...glad to have the opportunity to read your thoughts!)

Each of the Pages have an object hanging from the belt. Robin Wood designed the deck so she'd never have to turn to the book or memorize meanings, so that it was all right there. Each Page has something to help remember what they are or what they do.

Page of Swords - a telescope - vigilance, insight
Page of Cups - a painter's pallette - artistic ability
Page of Wands - a firecracker - too much energy (think ADD!)
Page of Pentacles - a book - student, scholarship, studies

spinningspider

Page of Wands

What a feisty, bundle of energy Robin's "Page of Wands" is! I can't help but smile when I look at her. Though she's portrayed as a young gal, her enthusiastic, optimistic and youthful nature, could apply to any age, gender, race, culture, etc. Here's a page who clearly LOVES LIFE and all that it offers. I can truly FEEL her excitement and readiness to jump right in to whatever adventure she decides to pursue or situation she finds herself in.

I know Robin wrote that the Page of Wands may be a person with way too much energy. However, I admit that I rarely see the card in this way (or maybe I'm fighting the message!) in my own reading, perhaps because I personally feel so close to the Wands suit and all its positive attributes. That said, too much enthusiasm CAN overwhelm all involved AND can lead to my own malady...migraines. I call migraines such as these, "Good Time Migraines!" So, I guess reluctantly I must say that if I see a "red flag" regarding the vivacious energy bouncing off the Page of Wands in a reading bearing this card, then that energy is doubtless over-the-top...not good for whoever is feeling this way and certainly a strain on the sanity of those around that person. Such a card showing up could be a wake-up call to slow down, think carefully and don't leap head-first with nary a thought of the consequences. I do wish we Wands folks could live life fully tho', without always having to worry about side-effects on ourselves and those around us!! Geesh.

I do see the Page of Wands as someone who sees life as a child might, untainted as much as possible by all the trials and tribulations humanity suffers through. She's not necessarily oblivious of things she dislikes or finds unacceptable, but she chooses to look at the sunny, brighter side of situations she's involved in and therefore would choose positive paths to deal with all, or at least most, that comes her way. Hopefully she doesn't blind herself to real life all together, because if she did, someone like this could live in their own fantasy world and find it hard to cope with the day-to-day matters, let alone the emergencies. In a spread, I might look for balancing cards if I felt the Page of Wands' exuberance is more than she or others can handle...depending, of course, on the question asked by the querent and who the Page of Wands might represent.

Though there are firecrackers hanging from her belt and not a book (as in the Page of Pentacles,) I feel a gal like this would be interested in studying all sorts of subjects...but perhaps in her own, creative, passionate way...which may or may not suit a typical school setting or work environment. She may be misread by teachers and later, employers, as being not serious or scatter-brained. Perhaps she'd even be thought of as a class clown or someone who can't concentrate on the task at hand...and this all may or may not be justified, depending on the situation. Maybe she's even someone who needs medical help, if her hyperactive situation is chronic and out-of-hand. I'd consider these and other less-than-pleasant attributes as possibilities, especially if the Page of Wands is reversed.

Robin's key word for the Page of Wands is "Hearken!" Indeed, it would be hard to ignore her if she had something she felt was important to relay. You can bet she'd be sure to make herself heard and it would be hard not to get caught up in her excitement as she did so.

Black Crosis

I just can't see it!

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Tarot, but of all my decks, the Robin Wood Tarot makes the most sense. That being said, I still have problems with the Court cards. All of them, but as we're discussing the Page of Wands, I'll stick to that one in this thread.

With the other cards (pips and majors), there seems to be a situation in process. But the Court cards seem to be people or emotions and I'm bad at reading the deeper meaning of emotions. Don't even get me started on trying to decipher what KIND of people the Courts tend to be, so onto my question:

HOW does one READ the Page of Wands?

Sulis

Hi everyone!

I'm new to Tarot, but of all my decks, the Robin Wood Tarot makes the most sense. That being said, I still have problems with the Court cards. All of them, but as we're discussing the Page of Wands, I'll stick to that one in this thread.

With the other cards (pips and majors), there seems to be a situation in process. But the Court cards seem to be people or emotions and I'm bad at reading the deeper meaning of emotions. Don't even get me started on trying to decipher what KIND of people the Courts tend to be, so onto my question:

HOW does one READ the Page of Wands?

Hi Black Crosis,

Your question seems very general and not really about this specific card in this specific deck. There are loads of good posts in this thread about how to read this particular card, using the visual prompts that Robin Wood added to the deck (the firecrackers in particular).

Take a look at Spinningspider's post directly above this one for HOW one READS this page ;).

Gwynne also offers some good insights about the symbolism:
Page of Swords - a telescope - vigilance, insight
Page of Cups - a painter's pallette - artistic ability
Page of Wands - a firecracker - too much energy (think ADD!)
Page of Pentacles - a book - student, scholarship, studies

Pages are the most immature courts, they represent beginnings and also show a need to gain experience through learning with the particular energy of the suit. Think of medieval pages and what they did - they delivered messages, learned how to be knights and are usually very young.

So with the Page of Wands we have the energy of Fire - think about what fire is like.. It burns quickly so this page is full of fiery energy and enthusiasm. He or she is the type of person who is creative, bubbly and goes into things with lots of gusto but who maybe loses interest quite quickly after that initial spark (fire burns out quickly). She's got a bit of a temper but it flares up and dies out again just as quickly. She's a bit of a show-off and likes role playing and things that are filled with excitement and action.

You can read this card as a person with the above qualities or as a card of advice then you'd be being advised to act like this page so be energetic, creative and filled with enthusiasm for whatever you're getting into but remember that you don't know much and need to put your energy into learning...
Since Pages represent beginnings this card can also mean that you're just starting something that needs lots of energy and youthful enthusiasm for it to succeed or that you need to put lots of energy into learning something and an active rather than a studious approach is the way to go (an academic, studious approach would be the Page of Swords, a dreamy, storytelling approach would be the Page of Cups and a practical approach would be the Page of Pentacles).

Does any of this help?
I think what helps me is thinking of the energy of the suit (so in this case fire) and the maturity level of the court card...

Black Crosis

This is indeed very helpful. I guess I just have trouble interpreting what those symbols mean during a reading. I find myself constantly looking back at my notes and, depending on the query, back at the book. And the thing is, I know this symbolism relatively well, I just can't pull it forward when I pull the card. I guess I should probably think of the song "Eye of the Tiger" when this card shows itself.:thumbsup:

FlowerInTheNight

She makes me think of my little Aries daughter. Fire sign? She is a symbol of light, the seeker has someone to guide them on their path...she is not tied down to the usual, she is artistic and very at peace with herself and life.