Your journey into professional tarot

nisaba

intuition897 said:
This is exactly the response from pros that I was afraid of
Er ... ??

intuition897 said:
The last thing I want to do is step on any toes here in my community with people thinking, "Who the heck does she think she is anyway?" There is such a thing as paying one's dues and 9 months is not that impressive that way.
I don't think anyone (especially myself or Apollonia) had a "who the heck does she think she is anyway" attitude. We extrapolated from our own early days, knowing that *we* were not ready. We took time to learn the skills, to be sure in ourselves that when a total stranger sits in front of us with any kind of body-language, and any combination of cards hit the table, we wouldn't freeze up, be left high and dry with no idea what the deck was trying to say and how it related to the person, embarrass ourselves, and let them down.

Maybe you're different. Maybe it *is* possible to get professional levels of competence in no-time-flat, but if so, you've been very, very blessed, and are probably in a class of your own. If so, be grateful.

Floss

((((encouragement!))))

intuition897, to quote you from another thread here ...

"Tarot just makes sense to me. I think in pictures, senses, energies, metaphors, analogies, etc. anyway. I got my first reading and BAM! that was it! I wanted to pick up the deck and read the cards for myself."

Exactly THAT ... is what makes a good tarot reader. Yes, we all have to learn the basic meanings of the cards. Knowing meanings will not make you a good reader. The pictures, senses, energies, metaphors and analogies are what WILL make you a good reader. And you have that. Practice, be positive, and go for it!

Amanda

intuition897 said:
This is exactly the response from pros that I was afraid of and it's why I have been concerned about putting anything out there advertising readings. The last thing I want to do is step on any toes here in my community with people thinking, "Who the heck does she think she is anyway?" There is such a thing as paying one's dues and 9 months is not that impressive that way.

I hope I have not discouraged you; I was merely trying to convey the point that you are working for the people who sit in the chair across from you, and you will get all kinds. You need to be especially careful of the ones who take your word as law. Which is why I emphasized that you should be honest from the start that you are 'still learning'. The truth is, we are all 'still learning' no matter how much experience we have under our belts, but until you get more confidence built up, I was suggesting that minor disclaimer to help protect you when starting out.

If you feel that now is the right time to make a move, then it is. :)

214red

I don’t think anyone is saying that 9 months isnt enough, or that your stepping on toes. There are dangers in charging for readings too early, you can not only damage your reputation, but that of other tarot readers if you start when your too early. Reading is a skill, as nisaba says it’s a craft that you need to learn just like other professions, you have to work hard at it.

I guess the real question is, what do you want from a reader when you go to one? Would you be statisfied paying for a reading from yourself? When we are parting with our hard earned cash we have certain expectations, these tend to be high in these economic times.

Grizabella

I know my cards...sort of.

When I read this statement, I knew you weren't ready yet to really go public for pay. You can't "know your cards---sort of". You have to REALLY know your cards. Really, really know your cards. :)

I've read the book(s), know the general meanings/energies of the cards but my understanding of some them feels very shallow or flat.

This also added to my feeling that you're not ready. You have to have a relationship with the cards that makes them feel like an extension of yourself. It's not that you'll ever lose stage fright because a lot of us don't. But we do come from the place of knowing our cards really, really well and knowing just how to word our questions, just how our cards "speak" to us, just how to recognize that "knowing" that's the Universe/Higher Power/God/Creator speaking to us through the cards. You need to come to the place where the cards aren't shallow or flat anymore.

I suggest to you that you set up somewhere with your cards and a little sign and just give readings, readings, and more readings. Do them till you don't feel meek and apologetic about it anymore. Do it till you trust your cards to give you the answers you understand. Do it till the Bible thumpers don't make you feel like you want to slink off to a corner somewhere to worry about your salvation. Do it till it's second nature. THEN you can put out a tip jar and work with that for awhile.

This is a lifelong study, not a parlor trick. It's become my joy and my passion, though, and even though I don't have plans to ever make it my living, it might eventually become yours. It probably won't become your full living, maybe ever. But it can become your joy and your passion, and if you aren't careful, it could become your obsession. ;)

ann823

intuition 897, I'm about at the same place you are and started at about the same time. I've found this thread interesting and I'm glad I found it, I don't come to this section of the forum often as I don't feel I'm ready to think profesional. I tend to be self critical and in some areas a perfectionist, but I've set myself the goal of starting to do at least one card readings here and on the ATA free reader network. I also belong to another forum on another area of interest and I plan on adding something like "will do free one card tarot reading for feedback". I think that may also give me some experience with Bible thumpers, LOL. I have done a few readings on the beginners circle here but knew I needed more study on the cards. I found that somehow doing a reading for someone else was very energizing and seemed to bring the cards to life even more...I really loved it. It's been great reading all the asnwers you've gotten.
Ann

intuition897

nisaba said:
Er ... ??
intuition897 said:
This is exactly the response from pros that I was afraid of and it's why I have been concerned about putting anything out there advertising readings. The last thing I want to do is step on any toes here in my community with people thinking, "Who the heck does she think she is anyway?" There is such a thing as paying one's dues and 9 months is not that impressive that way.
OMG. I just re-read this and it all came out sounding WAY harsher than I intended. I guess maybe I should avoid posting too late at night. Makes me sound all cranky.

nisaba said:
I don't think anyone (especially myself or Apollonia) had a "who the heck does she think she is anyway" attitude.

No, you didn't! I guess I was referring to a worst-case scenario with someone in my local area whom I might find myself competing with. Just the same as tattoo artists abhor "scratchers" who bring down the reputation of the tattooing industry with their ineptitude, so too (I'm sure) do Tarot readers abhor the con artists and irresponsible dolts who do not take the art seriously. I can give you a perfect example. One reason that my Mom is so against card reading is that my grandfather - her Dad - once had his "fortune" told. The fortune-teller told him that he would be a rich man someday... !!!??? This is that situation Amanda mentioned where the sitter takes the card-reader's word as law. "That man waited his whole life for his fortune to come! He wasted years waiting for it!" she tells me. Now my reaction to that is that it was irresponsible of the card reader to tell this to a client without explaining that he had the potential to make a great deal of money or that the situation was ideal for him to move forward in that direction, but that his decision and effort would be required to make it happen. I'd also have to say that this misunderstanding was brought about by superstitious, ignorant beliefs and attitudes toward the Tarot. There's nothing mystical and magical about it! At least not any more mystical/magical than any other good thing in this world. They are pieces of cardboard! They're just a tool that some people use to tap knowledge that they already have within them, to allow them to dial-up to the Akashic record, the Book of Life, the Universal record, the Ether, or whatever you want to call it. I told my Mom that it was Grandpa's own fault that he believed her. I strongly believe that we should each think for ourselves and never take human being's word for anything. We each must determine our own path, and we are each fully responsible for the choices we make and the paths we take.

ann823 said:
I found that somehow doing a reading for someone else was very energizing and seemed to bring the cards to life even more...I really loved it.
I agree with you, Ann, 100%! My reading skills suffer simply because of lack of practice. I enjoy reading for others because it "makes it real". It gives me a different point of reference. I get feedback and can gauge how well/poorly I'm doing. And it would indeed be interesting to read for people who were NOT Tarot enthusiasts themselves. So far I have only done a few (free) readings for non-tarot people and I have not gotten a lot of feedback.

I wonder...

I work at a university. I wonder if it would make sense to maybe put a sign up on one of the many bulletin boards that I'll be in the local cafeteria on certain days during the lunch hour offering free quickie readings. If they asked to pay, I wouldn't accept payment (being at my workplace and all) but would suggest that they make a donation to a local charity instead. Students are very cause-oriented and open-minded...and they like free stuff. This kind of arrangement might appeal to them, and it would appeal to me: it would be so easy to do.

nisaba

intuition897 said:
OMG. I just re-read this and it all came out sounding WAY harsher than I intended. I guess maybe I should avoid posting too late at night. Makes me sound all cranky.
<smile> Not a problem. We all have less-than-perfect days.

intuition897 said:
I wonder if it would make sense to maybe put a sign up on one of the many bulletin boards that I'll be in the local cafeteria on certain days during the lunch hour offering free quickie readings. If they asked to pay, I wouldn't accept payment (being at my workplace and all) but would suggest that they make a donation to a local charity instead.
The only thing I'd change there is the "suggest they make a donation". they never will, even if they leave your table with the best of intentions - students are always poor, even the rich ones. But yourself one of those cheap but attractive money-box thingies, with the coin-hole in the top, and write up a small sign saying something like "This Month, donating to Xyz Charity". Have the container and the sign with you, don't make any reference to it unless people directly mention it. That way, if they really only have money to buy two bananas between now and next week, they won't feel bad.

3crows

3 books and a couple of fairs

Tarot for Yourself- Mary K. Greer
The Professional Tarot Reader (Christine Jette)
21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card (Greer)

My husband rolled his eyes when I bought the book The Professonal Tarot Reader. (used, on amazon- could be out of print). However I still went deep into it by practicing, signing up for fairs, and reading for donations- until I felt comfortable. Now he's excited because he knows this is more than another one of my unfinished A.D.D. projects! (candle-making, healing baskets, soap-maker....all duds!)

good luck!

shelikes2read

3crows said:
Tarot for Yourself- Mary K. Greer
The Professional Tarot Reader (Christine Jette)
21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card (Greer)

My husband rolled his eyes when I bought the book The Professonal Tarot Reader. (used, on amazon- could be out of print). However I still went deep into it by practicing, signing up for fairs, and reading for donations- until I felt comfortable. Now he's excited because he knows this is more than another one of my unfinished A.D.D. projects! (candle-making, healing baskets, soap-maker....all duds!)

good luck!
You beat me to it. I was going to post a recommendation that anyone who is planning to turn pro should read Christine Jette's book. There's more to reading cards professionally than knowing card meanings, and this book will help a reader who's considering turning pro with the other aspects of free-lancing.