Reading for yourself

katyanne

I have a friend who says it's a bad idea to read for yourself but reading for myself is what I do most. Not only do I only have one friend I can read for, but I need to practice. Besides, I need the guidance. It's worked well for me so far, reading for myself. Do you guys read for yourselves?

Rachx

Always I read for myself. It's a way to learn and can bring insight. I wouldn't do Tarot if I couldn't read for myself. Reading for myself has taught me how to be objective and how to word questions. I think as well you must go with your own heart in this. There is absolutely nothing wrong with reading for yourself. The best thing IMO is to read for as many people/pets/teddy bears as you possibly can including you. Xx

Alta

I read for myself, though not frequently. More when I suspect that I am misunderstanding a situation. Also I don't do predictive readings for myself.

Apollonia

I read for myself all the time. I started reading for myself 25 years ago as a way to learn the cards and spreads, and I never stopped.

Even though I read for others a lot, I read for myself at least two or three times a week, sometimes just for practice and sometimes on serious issues. It has always worked well for me.

Sulis

Most of my readings are for myself these days and my readings that I've done for myself have helped me through some difficult times.
I don't predict though, I read to get insight into situations and to also get advice on the best way forward. For me, tarot readings allow me to step back from a situation and see the bigger picture so that I get a better or different perspective.

I don't read over and over again on the same subject though and I always make sure that I'm willing to accept what the cards show before I do the reading. I think the problem with self readings come when you really want to see a certain outcome so that's all you can see.. I don't think that's a useful way of reading and I think tarot is capable of being a very useful tool of self exploration and self help.

EmceeDirector

I do read for myself and have had tremendous results but it required me to actually look at the reading and interpret the cards as though I was actually doing a reading for someone else. Like most people, we read for ourselves to find insight, however since we are human we can't always be unbiased in what the cards are saying. There are times I look at my cards and KNOW intuitively that I am trying to interpret them in a way that is comfortable for me to accept. So I usually have my best friend Debbie read for me when I need important help. For practice I ask God to give me a "practice spread" that I can learn from. So when the cards are laid out, I practice interpreting them as though I had a client in front of me.

ilikeskittles

I don't think there's anything wrong with it, aside from the potential for bias if you get cards you don't particularly want. If you can be completely objective in deciphering them, then you should be okay. For me, the issue isn't so much objectivity, as it is the fact that I have very strong energy (as a person, in general) so I tend to pull cards more in line with what I want to see/happen as opposed to the truth of a given situation. I'm not good at reading for myself at all. My mom reads for herself though, and she's pretty accurate. When I actually need guidance or have a question that's more complex than just pulling a card of the day or something, I'll have her or this other tarot reader I use do my cards for me. I've found that works best for me.

Nemia

I read for myself, have been doing so for some decades and didn't have problems with it. Lately, I read for myself less and less because my life is so well ordered ;-) and I have no urgent questions.

I like Mary Greer's Tarot for Yourself very much because it gives depth and ideas. So if you're serious about reading for yourself, I'd say check it out. It's a workbook and although it's not new, the exercises are still good :)

katyanne

I read for myself, have been doing so for some decades and didn't have problems with it. Lately, I read for myself less and less because my life is so well ordered ;-) and I have no urgent questions.

I like Mary Greer's Tarot for Yourself very much because it gives depth and ideas. So if you're serious about reading for yourself, I'd say check it out. It's a workbook and although it's not new, the exercises are still good :)

I just bought that workbook and have it ready to crack open! Grad school means I can't crack it open as much as I want to lol.

I have a lot going on and I like to get insight into it so I like to read for myself because otherwise I'd have to pay for a reading. I don't just draw cards I like like the other day the cards said I don't have good boundaries and I didn't like hearing that. Lol.