Dealing with Smoky Tarot Cards!

MacMorrighan

In my opinion it really isn't worth it. Were it any other deck I would understand but the Thoth is cheap and mass-produced and almost any store that sells Tarot decks would have it in stock. It's probably part of the basic package USG offers stores. Maybe it isn't as cheap as an RWS, but the same general price range.

Oh, if only! I don't know of ANY bookstore nor occult store in the central, IA. area that carries this deck (I prefer the smaller version). Not even Boarders (when it was around) nor does B&N carry it *now*! It's one of my gripes about how utterly generic Iowa is, and it's getting worse with each passing year it seems. When I was in Chicago, recently, I saw even in the smaller grocery stores had an astounding selection of merchandise, which included brands that I have never even heard of before! As I have said, over the years, the range of products and availability has been shrinking I have noticed; and the selection wasn't that great to begin with! We just lost--as did the whole country!--Hancock Fabrics, which was a TRUE Sewists store that actually sold proper shirting! I cannot find shirting at Joannes Fabrics (which is geared towards crafters (more than half the store!) and fabric only appropriate for quilting and costumes! :p

Achlys

While it is a mass produced deck, I haven't noticed it sold in a lot of stores near me, either. The shop I bought mine in doesn't carry it anymore either. Granted that was 10+ years ago but it's still a beginning deck imo.
Your best bet is to buy a NIB from Amazon then. EBay and other third party sellers run the risk of having the same thing or worse happening.

nisaba

Hey guys, I was recently gifted a Thoth tarot deck, but the previous owners were apparently heavy smokers, causing this deck to wreak.

To reek? Try laying them out individually, flat, somewhere airy and dry for the fumes to leave. Since you've already put sodium bicarb on them, it's a matter of SEPARATING them so that the odours can escape. Sodium bicarb is basically solidified carbon dioxide, which is odourless, and encourages molecules to *move* (hence making stains easier to scrub off). But the molecules have to have somewhere to move TO.

MacMorrighan

To reek? Try laying them out individually, flat, somewhere airy and dry for the fumes to leave. Since you've already put sodium bicarb on them, it's a matter of SEPARATING them so that the odours can escape. Sodium bicarb is basically solidified carbon dioxide, which is odourless, and encourages molecules to *move* (hence making stains easier to scrub off). But the molecules have to have somewhere to move TO.

Interesting tip. Thank you!

lucid_dawn

You can also get cards and books from Walmart.com sometimes and have them shipped to your store. I mean Amazon is just as good but Walmart has the small version too https://www.walmart.com/ip/238651