Deck in progress: Brass & Steam (steampunk)

ematuskey

Next card after an unintended break in updates--the Queen of Pentacles, painted by the awesome Brooke Gillette!

"She stands at the source of life, ready to let the water flow to the thirsty Sahara and beyond."

Attachments

• Queen of Pentacles 4x6.jpg
    Queen of Pentacles 4x6.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 178

Anise

Beautiful card! I'm still as excited to get this deck as ever.

Tangential: I was perplexed by another of the queens (Wands), because she looked at first glance more like a Cups queen with her blue clothing and the champagne flute and the rainy window. But it helps to know now that you were planning to clothe all the queens in blue.

ematuskey

Glad you like the new card, Anise--we're getting close to the end!

I can see your point about the Queen of Wands--I tried to make sure there was plenty of red mixed in (since it's the watery fire card), but some are definitely more obvious than others (Queen of Cups is definitely a watery water card for example!). Not all the court cards are going to have the same consistent clothing color scheme, but it worked out for the Queens at least. ;)

Beautiful card! I'm still as excited to get this deck as ever.

Tangential: I was perplexed by another of the queens (Wands), because she looked at first glance more like a Cups queen with her blue clothing and the champagne flute and the rainy window. But it helps to know now that you were planning to clothe all the queens in blue.

ematuskey

And another one--the Star, painted by Alex Boca!

Attachments

• Star 4x6.jpg
    Star 4x6.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 159

Shardz

I'm late joining this tread, but I reviewed most of the images and comments and must say....WOW! I am truly impressed with the creative force at work here, and really enjoy the art presented thus far.

As I read this project has taken years already, I was wondering what the plan for release will be. Will this end up as a Kickstarter campaign, or will you attempt to get it published by one of the mass market companies?

ematuskey

Hey Shardz, welcome, and glad you like what you've seen!

The Kickstarter already happened, heh--spring of 2015, when I raised the funds to finish the artwork sooner, rather than taking many more years at the rate i was going. :p The plan is to self-publish for now--42 fully-illustrated cards, 36 simply-illustrated cards (2-10 of the minor arcana suits), for a full 78 card deck. The goal is to have this out to people by the holidays this year (fingers crossed)!

ematuskey

And another new card--the King of Swords! In-universe this is "The Swiss Guard," based on the infamous Turk chess-playing automoton--but in this case, the moves are made by Babbage engine, rather than hidden chess master...

Painted by Alexandra Albu for the Tarot of Brass & Steam.

A couple more cards I just realized I haven't posted here: the Princess of Wands (putting the "punk" in Steampunk!), painted by Alex Boca, and a revised Death card, also painted by Alexandra Albu! .

Attachments

• King of Swords preview.jpg
    King of Swords preview.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 151
  • Death revised preview.jpg
    Death revised preview.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 147
  • Princess of Wands preview.jpg
    Princess of Wands preview.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 151

Tarot dance

...I have never been drawn to a steampunk themed deck...but this one I would absolutely have to have...can't wait till it is finished...

...Great job.....

ematuskey

High praise indeed--thanks Tarot Dance!

ematuskey

And another--the Knight of Cups, painted by Brooke Gillette!

Attachments

• Knight of Cups preview.jpg
    Knight of Cups preview.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 155