RWS Esoteric or Exoteric?

ravenest

Yes, I discovered that in dramatic ritual. Often, a backdrop (which in dramatic ritual surrounds one , as 'you' are on the 'stage' as a participant) which is dark and indistinct and just 'fades off into the distance' is better than a mock up ... which just looks corny. The imagination will fill in any 'gaps' in the right circumstances.

I think we can see both types of 'backgrounds' in Pixie's art :

Zephyros

Yes, for example the HP's temple. It appears to be a model of the Temple, but is a highly symbolic and stylized version, meant for use in ritual. In a way it works a lot better than any real mock-up, as it takes on even more esoteric significance.

Teheuti

I've only recently got into using this deck (for fortune telling), and it got me thinking about it.
Like, if Waite was gagged by his vows and couldn't tell his knowledge, then why did he make the deck?
He's clear in the book that he thinks most people aren't ready/able/prepared to know the truth that the tarot represents.
So as he spends a good bit of the book on divination (however scathing he is), then I can only assume that it was what he expected it to be used for when he made it.
He also spends a good part of the book on "the Secret Tradition." Unfortunately, if you really want to understand what that means it requires reading several of his other books on the Secret Tradition and related subjects.

I agree that he thought most people were not prepared to know the truth that the tarot represents. But, he also highly respected those who could divine well with cards - like his second wife.

Lillie

Waite is actually pretty specific about the esoteric meaning of the Major Arcana, with a few hints regarding the Minors. By esoteric, regarding Waite this means mystical - what we might call an esoteric or Hermetic mysticism. He saw Tarot as a "mutus liber" - a silent book like many of the alchemical texts and he coded its information much like the alchemists did - saying one thing on the surface that points to another that is readily apparent only to those "who have eyes to see." His section in PKT on "The Doctrine Behind the Veil" is key to the mystical elements and is filled with subtle references to other works (including his own) that elucidate his comments. Hiding things in plain sight is pretty much straight out of the traditions he was working with.

He also spends a good part of the book on "the Secret Tradition." Unfortunately, if you really want to understand what that means it requires reading several of his other books on the Secret Tradition and related subjects.

I agree that he thought most people were not prepared to know the truth that the tarot represents. But, he also highly respected those who could divine well with cards - like his second wife.

Thank you for both these replies.

The question I think I was trying to ask was 'What did Waite think people would do with his deck/book once they'd bought it?'
And despite my inabilllity in framing questions you have aanswered me perfectly.

Zephyros

According to Crowley's review in the Equinox, that would be "servant girls" and fans of "malted milk." :)

I'm sorry I can't link to it, I'm on my phone, but you can easily find it on Google, and if you haven't read it you really should. It has some of the best occult humour you will ever read, and it is hard not to agree with him (search for Crowley malted milk Tarot" and you'll find it)

Lillie

Oh, lol. Never read thalet minatit before.

Well, these days I've given up all pretentions to scholarship and will continue to scam half crowns of milkmaids.

I'm glad the occult illuminati approve.

gregory

According to Crowley's review in the Equinox, that would be "servant girls" and fans of "malted milk." :)
Horlicks ! So his market is/was ME - I LOVE my Horlicks. Indeed now I have to BUY some....

Abrac

roppo posted this awhile back.

http://www7.ocn.ne.jp/~elfindog/ocrvRWSads.htm

It's an advertisement Waite had in The Occult Review shortly before the cards were published. This seems to suggest he wanted occultists and occult wannabes to acquire the deck and book. But I remember hearing or reading that his intention was to create a deck for non-occultists. I'm drawing a blank though as to where I might have heard it.

It seems to me his intention was to create a deck and book that would attract people who weren't necessarily occultist but who might lean that way. It would be something for them to start with and would suggest there was more if they cared to look deeper. It has been doing just this for a very long time now. :)