The more I see it, the less I like it.

ivanna

I bought a Rider White month ago or so. I think is a fabulous deck to start and learn, but from some days ago, the more I look to the deck, the more I find it horrible. Ugly. Simpy, poor technical drawing, ugly colours. Even the blue sky of the star is ugly.
Does it happened to you?
Is the cheapest deck I think I have, so is the one I take with me on my bag, and is with me at the office, just in case I need it. But each time I find it more and more ugly. Total disconection with the deck.

Grizabella

I know exactly how you feel! I felt the same way myself for many years. But it's still the deck I recommend for beginners and over the years, I've come to love the deck very much. There's a whole lot more to it than at first is apparent. I suggest you get some books about it and take part in the sub-forum for it here at AT. Time spent getting to know it in more depth might help.

In the meantime, just browse through the deck section here and see if you can find a deck or two you might feel more connection with. You should hang onto your Rider Waite, though, in my opinion. Put it aside if you want to but don't totally get rid of it.

I got a Universal Waite because I prefer the colors. That might be an option for you, too.

RViewer

I think that is so funny Ivanna :) my mom always read with the Rider-Waite and my reaction to it is the same as yours. I guess sometimes you just notice something differently one day and things change. There are many cool decks out there to choose from and many that are quite detailed. Maybe there is one that better matches your nature.

ivanna

Yes, I have other nice decks, but I was using it because is a Rider Waite. And I think I'm a bit traditional on this matter. I was using it with no problems, doing nice readings, btw. But, urrrg. Ugly. So Ugly.
Surprisingly, I think I can do pretty decent readings even finding the deck so ugly, so it seems that it doesn't really matter.
But, I ordered an Illuminati Deck. And also deleted my card details on amazon to avoid more compulsive buys. :D

rwcarter

I'm actually just the opposite. I started out hating the yellow box Rider Waite cause I thought it was fugly. Had that been the only deck available to me I likely never would've taken up tarot. But especially in the last 5 years or so I've come to appreciate the deck. Having multiple versions of it (almost 70 at last count), including a Pam B and a Pam D and having pimped a copy, I know there are some really nice printings of the deck. Maybe a different printing of the deck with different coloring would speak to you more.

Rodney

Karrma

This deck is the reason I did not do tarot for years. When I found there were others, then I could start. I cannot deal with swords stabbing people. I learned just fine with the other decks, and the Mary Greer book, Tarot for yourself, and this forum, were both good with learning with other decks. If I had to do it over again, I probably would have started with a marsailles(sp) type deck, rather than a Thoth based deck however.

Laura Borealis

One person's trash is another's treasure, right? There are lots of decks I think are fug-o-rama. But they have their devoted fans. It's all down to preference.

I don't think the RWS is stunning art, but I like it. I don't think it's ugly. But the version and printing can make a real difference.

Incidental to the thread, your title reminds me of a song by King Crimson. :)

The more I look at it, the more I like it.
I do think it's good.
The fact is, no matter how closely I study it,
No matter how I take it apart, no matter how I break it down,
It remains consistent.

That's how I feel about it. The more I look at it, the more I like it. It remains consistent. Maybe it will grow on you over time.

Pixna

Funny that you should say that. I've never like the R-W deck. The colors in particular always seemed to give me a headache. It's a deck I never was inclined to use, let alone purchase. In a way, I've felt a bit like a freak, since it's the deck everyone recommends for beginners, and although I've been reading for a few decades, it's not the deck I learned to read with.

But I do know that some folks love it, and the decks I love aren't necessarily the most popular. So there you have it -- to each his or her own. :D

ravenest

I started with Thoth ... after a while got a few others then RW ... I used it a bit , sometimes at the market stall but eventually stopped using it ... I thought the scenic pips were good for reading until I outgrew that stage of reading ... then I stopped using the RW deck. Its in the book storage somewhere now.

ivanna

I started with Thoth ... after a while got a few others then RW ... I used it a bit , sometimes at the market stall but eventually stopped using it ... I thought the scenic pips were good for reading until I outgrew that stage of reading ... then I stopped using the RW deck. Its in the book storage somewhere now.

What do you mean with outgrow that stage of reading?

I have been looking for other printings of the rider, the golden universal, radiant, and so on, and I did not liked any. In fact I was using it because it IS the rider, but I do not have any other reason. Maybe is time to in to another stage on my tarot journal.
I started with a gilded, and after some time I found it a bit unreal, and I got the Rws. now its time for the golden and the illuminate, and I will have to find an alternative to take in my bag.
I do not want my bag being stolen or lost with a nice deck on it