Dark Carnival Tarot

zombi00

for the last few months i've been throwing a deck idea around that has a dark, evil carnival/circus theme. so far all i've completed the Sad Clown (Fool) and started the Ring Master (Magus.)

I was curious if anyone else has seen decks of this theme before? i'd hate to put so much effort into it just to know i couldn't walked to the store and bought one:)

MeeWah

I have not, but your deck idea is intriguing!

The Sad Clown/The Fool & The Ringmaster/The Magus sound like a promising beginning.

Btw: the title reminds me of a movie & a novel.

The former a very old black & white horror movie called "Carnival of Souls".
First really scary movie I saw & no desire to ever see again.

The latter a novel by the noted sci-fi writer Ray Bradbury: "Something Wicked This Way Comes". Two 13-year old boys, Jim Nightshade & Will Halloway are best friends, born respectively on Hallowe'en & All Saints' Day. A carnival billed as Cooger & Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show arrives in the dead of night to their small town. Gradually they realize this is a dark carnival that preys upon human frailties.

Do keep us posted.

bladeraven

Clowns???!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! *takes off running*

Mesara

bladeraven said:
Clowns???!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! *takes off running*

My dear friend Zombi typically has the same reaction to clowns. He absolutely cringes when flashed with the Devil from the Victoria Regina.

Ive had the pleasure of seeing his Dark Carnival tarot in progress. Very cool.

Grigori

Can we see a sample yet Zombi00? So we can research similiarities to other works on your behalf of course :D

Nydia

MeeWah said:
a novel by the noted sci-fi writer Ray Bradbury: "Something Wicked This Way Comes".
I was reminded of the movie of that book. IMHO Jonathan Pryce is particularly cool/attractive as Mr. Dark!

As far as decks, I'm reminded of The Buckland Romani Tarot. I don't have that deck, but I believe at least some of the cards have a carnival theme to them.

Also, I looked up circus tarot on Google and found this:
http://www.tarotpassages.com/circus.htm

MeeWah

Zombi00: There is a deck with a circus theme, but do not recall its name. It has bright colours & expressive artwork reminscent of cartoons.

MeeWah

Nydia said:
...As far as decks, I'm reminded of The Buckland Romani Tarot. I don't have that deck, but I believe at least some of the cards have a carnival theme to them.

Also, I looked up circus tarot on Google and found this:
http://www.tarotpassages.com/circus.htm

Some cards of the Buckland Romani are suggestive of a carnival, but I think that is because of the various images which articulate the caravan life-style & the occupations.

Thanks for the link to Chris Paradis' deck.

zombi00

damn, it was only eventual that someone would do it... but i'll be going a radically different direction than Chris Paradis. mine was aimed towards being scary/creepy.
As far as giving you a glimpse, i'm afraid that during my last PC crash i lost the masters. So i'm starting all over again and never owning a non-Mac ever again coincidentally.
as soon as i get this daunting task started up again i'll post for you guys.

Rosanne

I don't think this is what you mean but there is a rugrat type cartoon Tarot Called Phantasmagoric Theatre Tarot. It is a little creepy but not much. Your project sounds interesting ~Rosanne