change of design

atticus

I am in the middle of create a tarot deck with a few ideas in mind. one of the biggest things about this deck is I'm concidering doing it horizontally instead of verticly.

a deck normally is done longest from top to bottom. but I'm concidering having my cards longest left to right. I've seen round tarot as well as square tarot. do you feel the change in direction will effect the tarot deck in a symbolic manner in anyway?

light2000

i dont think so, any way i already saw a circle deck.

temperlyne

Thats an interesting idea. If you use horizontal cards, there will be more room for the backgrounds (considering that humans for instance are "vertical") and the cards will probably be more scenic rather than iconic. I think this will allow the cards to be read differently, because you can add more of the background story to the main image. I also believe this will make the deck very personal because you are the one to decide what backgrounds to add to the tradinional images.
I'm looking forward to see how you excecute this idea and what kind of atmosphere you are giving your deck.

Ankou

I've seen horizontal decks before, but usually it's a device to allow a text box and an image box, so that all the info is right on the card. In these cases the image is still a vertical layout.

As long as the deck dosen't become to awkward for handling, playing with different formats can lead to really great results. Temperlyne's suggestion of a more scene oriented deck is a great possibility. Gives the cards more of a universal stage to talk with.

Pipistrelle

I like the sound of this...especially with Temperlyne's suggestion. If you imagine, when you lay horizontal cards out, if the image covers the whole card, there will be more of a continuous scene across the cards which will help perhaps in "storytelling" a reading. Definitely something I would be interested in seeing.

Pip

Pipistrelle

You could call it "The Widescreen Tarot" lol. (Well, I thought it was funny.)

atticus

Pipistrelle said:
You could call it "The Widescreen Tarot" lol. (Well, I thought it was funny.)

thats pretty hilarious.

the idea is the subject of the card will mostly be located on the left side of the card and the info on the right...the info would be kept to a minimum (prolly just the same) but it would allow for more info to be placed if we wish to.

The idea is the cards would still be shuffled the same as before just when turned over instead of being verticle it would be horizontal. Maybe i would need to develope a spread for this as well?

Ankou

Trying to find reference to other horizontal decks online.
While I haven't found the particular one I was looking for you should check out the deck below. Gorgeous use of the landscape format.

Circus and Sideshow Tarot by Chris Paradis

http://www.tarotpassages.com/circus.htm

HudsonGray

I think the Wolf Pack tarot was horizontal, but it's been so long since I've seen it that I'm not entirely sure.

Has there ever been a deck with cards that were designed partially up & partially horizontal together in one deck?

zombi00

do it, i like the idea of the horizontal deck. i wish there was some way to use the perfectly square deck. i think that would be really nice.