Tree Tarot (In Progress)

Scarlet27

It's gorgeous. I really love all herbal/tree/nature based decks but yours is veryvery simple, well defined and well conceptualized. Great job!

The only thing I could come up with is that it took me quite long to figure the "Hanged tree" card out. I thought, and that idea stayed in my head every time I saw the picture until I remembered to read what you write below every card (silly me, I had been reading everything but forgot to read that one), that the tree in this cards was a 'naked' tree, without any leaves in its branches, if you get my drift, I didn't think it as an upside down tree, so I misinterpreted the roots with the branches. I'd probably emphasize a little bit more on the tree's crown -also because the hanged man's head is also bright and has like a halo around it in a lot of decks for a reason- so people like me pick up on your idea right away.

I really loved your deck, all the curls and curvy figures are awesome, as well as the palette you chose... Colors are striking and vibrant, just the way I like 'em; I just wanted to give you my honest opinion and my first impressions :)

Hugs & blessings~

-Jime-

adriayna

Thank you everyone for you comments!!!! I haven't visited in a while and was very exited to see people look at the deck.

I have been resketching some of the cards I already painted--but I have decided to go ahead and paint them all, then repaint those that I have the energy left to do!

I have been so very busy this summer writing my dissertation that I have not found the time to work on this much as I had wanted. But progress is again being made--I have posted four new cards on my blog:

http://artisticjourneys.blogspot.com/

In addition, I have more of the pentacles sketched and at various points of completion. I also have cut and labeled all the paper for the remaining two suits--the first step towards finishing this.

I also have positive news on the publication front. I am looking into submitting it to some publishers for distribution, but if that falls through, I have found a reasonably priced publisher and can self-publish a limited print run of the deck.

adriayna

Scarlet27 said:
It's gorgeous. I really love all herbal/tree/nature based decks but yours is veryvery simple, well defined and well conceptualized. Great job!

Thank you so much!

The only thing I could come up with is that it took me quite long to figure the "Hanged tree" card out. I thought, and that idea stayed in my head every time I saw the picture until I remembered to read what you write below every card (silly me, I had been reading everything but forgot to read that one), that the tree in this cards was a 'naked' tree, without any leaves in its branches, if you get my drift, I didn't think it as an upside down tree, so I misinterpreted the roots with the branches. I'd probably emphasize a little bit more on the tree's crown -also because the hanged man's head is also bright and has like a halo around it in a lot of decks for a reason- so people like me pick up on your idea right away.

I really loved your deck, all the curls and curvy figures are awesome, as well as the palette you chose... Colors are striking and vibrant, just the way I like 'em; I just wanted to give you my honest opinion and my first impressions :)

Hugs & blessings~

-Jime-

Yes, that card still isn't quite "right" to me. Perhaps defining the roots as more root like will help. I may have to repaint that one though--with the leaves under the ground higher up. Thank you for your suggestions--they are most appreciated!

adriayna

greycats said:
Hi Adriayna,

I've been watching your deck for a while now even though I haven't up till now posted any comments. I've thought about a tree deck myself, but my imagination (let alone my artistic skills) doesn't even come close to yours. :)

IMO, the thing that's particularly striking about your work is that you use your observations about what happens to trees out in the wild, so to speak, in your art. So there's a natual quality in many of the cards despite the obvious artistic skill.

The one exception is The Devil. The card reminded me of some pictures I've seen of trees destroyed by plant parasites, particularly the Strangler Fig, except that your tree had chains instead of strangling vines.

Anyway, the same sort of thing happens to human beings who support parasites. It's just a thought you might consider if you're still tweaking the card.

I've really enjoyed watching your work as the deck develops and can hardly wait to see what comes next. ;)

Its a really interesting point of view. I went with the more obvious "binding" for the devil, but the parasite idea could work. All of the cards are still subject to revision, so I really do appriciate your feedback!

thorhammer

Yaaaaay!! *hand clapping smilie :D*

I just adore your Queen of Wands! That cat is soo cute :) For some reason, i'd missed out on the other Courts to date, as well, so now I'll just say that I think your Page of Wands is so inspirational and welcoming, and uplifting; and the sky in the Page of Pents is awesome! Just beautiful, adriayna! Thankyou so much for updating us :)

It's great news that you'll be able to publish - somehow! - as well. I really hope it's at a time when I'll be able to get the $$ together to grab one, as I think it's just beautiful, as I'm sure I've said before :|

Thanks again :heart:

\m/ Kat

staticfuzz

I LOVE trees so much. So much, even, that I read hugely long & boring tree biology & forest-functioning textbooks. It gives me a headache sometimes but I just love trees (and all plants, really) and I want to learn as much as I can about them.

I really really love the style of the art. It's the way I wish I could draw! The colours are really vibrant & well, the whole deck just makes me happy!

If you want my opinions on anything...I would say the simple black border is the way to go. It doesn't distract, and in fact the art pops out more. Simple & classy.

I really hope you can publish this deck, it is awesome!

SarahRose

I love the style and colors!!!

adriayna

Oh, comments and suggestions are always appreciated! Thank you everyone.

I just realized that some people might be interested in how I create the cards, so I posted to the blog about that process, including the materials I have been using :).

Crescent

What a gorgeous deck! I so look forward to seeing this deck published.. I love it...
PS the thin black border is nicer then the purple one! It draws the picture out even more!

MrsOnePotato

This is a beautiful deck...you have a lovely, lyrical style!
:) MrsOnePotato